Gransnet forums

AIBU

Laying flags

(13 Posts)
craftyone Fri 30-Aug-19 15:30:29

btw it is not difficult to get level slabs, just use a long spirit level at diffent angles and directions

craftyone Fri 30-Aug-19 15:29:04

for goodness sake, I am almost 72 and female and have dug out a patio base 18 sq m, someone else laid the slabs for that but I laid some 45 cm squared slabs in another area. Some people think that 60+ is the age to wait in a corner and decline. If the body says it can do it, then do it, keep strong and have enthusiasm for things. People in general think they are old far too early

Fennel Fri 30-Aug-19 09:33:04

Husband is out there 'laying flags' right now, and TG doesn't expect me to help. Much of it is on hands and knees, I couldn't get down, never mind up. It's an awful job, I don't blame you for saying you can't help, Katy.
But if you tell them to get a workman in to do it they're highly offended.

Teetime Fri 30-Aug-19 09:14:00

Earlier this year DH wanted to lift and replace our flagstone patio. He is 73 so I put my foot down although he is very active I thought it was too much and in any case I thought they needed to be done professionally as the levels are all different. After much 'we dont need to get someone in' we did and boy were we glad. He made a wonderful job of it with all new flags for £1400. DH never ' gets a man in' so this was a triumph. Wonder if I can persuade him to have some decorate the hall?

Katyj Fri 30-Aug-19 08:56:48

No I didn't give in MayBelle.Dh gave in soon after, fell asleep on the sofa whilst I dished up tea. He's already dressed and raring to go this morning, I'm going out, shopping, and visiting, already prearranged of course. CanadianGran you must have my Dh twin, as soon as I put the kettle on, he needs a hand with something or other.Wouldn't change him though, love him to bits.

Maybelle Thu 29-Aug-19 21:47:54

Katyj I am now curious, did you give in and help with the flag laying or is it rescheduled ?

CanadianGran Thu 29-Aug-19 21:44:21

Language barrier! I was wondering what on earth laying flags was all about. As far as I know it is a sin to let a flag touch the ground!smile

But I do sympathize, since I also have a very energetic non-stop DH. Always interrupting me with my feet up and my nose in a book.

EllanVannin Thu 29-Aug-19 17:48:57

I wouldn't advise lifting flags at 60+ unless you're used to it.

Katyj Thu 29-Aug-19 17:47:50

Oh yeah never thought about it. Think flags may be a northern thing ?

Jane10 Thu 29-Aug-19 17:10:01

We were just talking about 'flags' the other day. I was very confused and couldn't work out what my friend was on about re 'flags'. To me they were fabric things that are run up a flagpole. What she meant was flagstones or slabs! Language eh?

Katyj Thu 29-Aug-19 16:42:51

Thanks MayBelle to be fair he has helped with everything and been awake since 3 am with me, he's a few years older than me, but has so much more energy, it's exasperating !

Maybelle Thu 29-Aug-19 16:02:02

you are not being unreasonable. I too am in my early 60s, and would find it too much to lay flags after such a long and busy day.
They will surely wait for another ( not so busy) day !

What has your DH been doing whilst you have been doing all this so far today ? Hopefully he has been working with you in the furniture moving.

Just because you are at home doesn't mean you are ready and waiting labour for his flag laying whim.

Katyj Thu 29-Aug-19 15:44:55

Should I want to help Dh lay some flags? I'm early 60s been awake since 3 am as I'm not sleeping well, took delivery of some new furniture at 7.30 am which ment moving other stuff out of the way, friend called over for an hour this morning, then baby granddaughter came over for the next five hours, took her home, prepared tea now dh in a huff because I can't be bothered to lay flags. phew that feels better !