Gransnet forums

AIBU

What irks you

(67 Posts)
Fairiesfolly Mon 02-Sep-19 13:20:39

Coming up to our golden wedding and trying to find a nice break away for a few days. Looking on AirBnB and I can’t stand it when looking through a possible booking you come across a picture of the bathroom with the toilet seat up. The other thing that irks me is sloppy bed making and coloured sheets! White white white sheets are the only acceptable colour when I am looking for BnB or Hotel etc.

Found a lovely little place and it was spoilt by messy bed and toilet seat left up for the pictures!

Perhaps I am too fussy!

What are things you look for in a special break away be it Hotel or BnB or self catering? What irks you?

Nonnie Tue 03-Sep-19 10:24:29

I'm currently looking for a place for a family holiday and Airbnb can be quite irritating. Places which have a minimum stay of 7 nights should give enough information to answer standard questions and should have enough photos to back them up. Why advertise somewhere for 10 people and only have a dining table for 6? Why put clever photos and not say what size the pool is? Some of the pool photos look like one side is on the edge of a cliff! Think I'll stop now! Yes, I've changed to other sites!

LizaJane24 Tue 03-Sep-19 10:33:32

Bradfordlass72, just curious about bed sharing with old man. Is it any random old man or your own old man you had in mind? I'm not feeling my best and that made me smile. Thanks

Bellocchild Tue 03-Sep-19 10:33:47

I get cross about lovely attractive online pics of holiday rentals, but ancient worn-out uncomfortable beds and sofas when you actually get there. Hotels do tend to have better quality beds and mattresses, suitable for all comers.

NannyG123 Tue 03-Sep-19 10:48:40

Clean, no holes in sheets. That's all I need.

maddyone Tue 03-Sep-19 10:54:55

I’m with Ellan, somewhere REALLY special, after fifty years you deserve it.

Also I’m with Paddyann, good quality bedding is a must, in my home or in a hotel. I never use airb+b myself, too much of a gamble, if I want a rental, which we do for a laid back, casual holiday, I go to Booking.com and Tripadvisor to check reviews. Otherwise, for a special break, I choose a good hotel, again I check reviews before I decide. If the hotel/rental is merely clean (it absolutely should be) then I may as well stay at home, where I have all the comforts I want.

maddyone Tue 03-Sep-19 10:55:49

Bellocchild, check the reviews, you’ll soon find out if the pictures misrepresent.

dragonfly46 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:03:07

I am very wary of hotels having stayed in a very famous one where my DH contracted Legionnaires disease!

annifrance Tue 03-Sep-19 11:04:59

I have twice had to stay at airport Holiday Inns courtesy of Easyjet, once in Toulouse and once in Gatwick.

I was amazed!! It ticked all the above boxes, the Toulouse one even had an English plug socket. The food and wines were excellent.

The staff in both were delightful and uber helpful, sorted my wifi, in Toulouse where I had 24 hours to kill the receptionist provide me with a map, a what's on and directions.

I thoroughly enjoyed both enforced stays.

whywhywhy Tue 03-Sep-19 11:39:21

I'd love to be able to go away so the photos wouldn't irk me. Chill.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:42:12

Well, I was taught as a child that the door to a bathroom or toilet should be kept firmly closed.

My great aunt lived in a house where the toilet was in the direct line of sight for anyone standing on the front-door step, so she naturally preferred the bathroom door closed!

If you were taught that a toilet seat (and/or lid) should be kept down, of course you find it off-putting when the seat is up.

However, if the place looks clean and comfortable and the price is right, choose it. You can put the toilet seat down on arrival.

The colour of the sheets doesn't bother me, as long as they are cotton and washed in eco-friendly non perfumed washing powder or soap. Not something a photo will tell me, I admit.

vickya Tue 03-Sep-19 12:07:24

The thing about tartan or coloured sheets is that you can't tell as easily if they are clean. That's why hospital ones are white.
And only cotton. Not any mixture. A shower instead of bath is fine. The toilet must be en suite and not on another floor. I'm less bothered about the quality of the gels and soaps as those are a bonus. Most people expect something of that sort and so don't take them with them though. Lots of tea bags and coffee packets, hot chocolate and biscuits is nice.

PernillaVanilla Tue 03-Sep-19 12:15:30

I'm quite happy with coloured bed linen, provided the quality is OK. I rather worry about white stuff getting tea stained or marked if I'm careless with it. I really don't mind how a toilet is photographed, we all know what it is for. Fluffy towels - YES!

Charleygirl5 Tue 03-Sep-19 12:35:54

I have a nasty, suspicious feeling that none of you lot would want to stay here. Everything is pristine but obviously not the quality of sheets and towels that you would expect!

moggie57 Tue 03-Sep-19 12:40:54

what irks me .is people with mobile phones that stop suddenly in your path, and you collide into them. then they say cant you look where you are going. grrrrrrrrr...

sarahellenwhitney Tue 03-Sep-19 12:41:11

Bradfordlass72.I would always opt for a twin bed room.
Twin beds prevented me disturbing DH who unlike myself never into hotel entertainment which could go on until dawn and I made the most of.

Gonegirl Tue 03-Sep-19 12:44:54

I am staying in a little barn conversion in the wilds of mid wales at the moment. The fugly oil fired 'wood burner' is irking my irk beyond all recognition. What the hell is a carburettor anyway? DH won't help as he is sh-- scared of the thing.

Oh, and I think I have wrecked the 'Roman' blind.

Gonegirl Tue 03-Sep-19 12:48:01

I think holiday let owners should take on board that white bedding needs a boil wash every so often. Too many of them seem to be into this 'save the planet by not washing stuff well enough' business. Grey under the chin areas not a good thing. hmm

Gonegirl Tue 03-Sep-19 12:48:23

Views are to die for though.

Jillybird Tue 03-Sep-19 12:49:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyOz Tue 03-Sep-19 12:56:07

I don't understand why people make such a big deal in reviews of what "goodies" ie cream tea or biscuits have been left by the holiday company. Is this the mark of a good holiday for some. grin

sodapop Tue 03-Sep-19 13:02:31

I'm with Grannygravy here, if I am paying out my hard earned money then I want the same standard or better than I have at home.
Spotless white bedding
Fluffy white towels
Separate shower with easy to manage controls as I can't read instructions without my glasses
Clean carpets and floors.

Diane227 Tue 03-Sep-19 13:17:05

The property next to mine is rented out as a holiday let.
It always amazes me that when the cleaners go in at the end of the week etc. , they are there for a relatively short time. Im not sure what kind of "Cleaning" they do but it cant be very thorough.
I would look for a nice hotel with good reviews.

Nanny41 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:02:02

I think you are a bit fussy, if the place is tidy and clean minor things like the colour of sheets and toilet seat up arent problems.Life is too short.
Just get away and enjoy your Aniversary in a 5 star Hotel.

Nvella Tue 03-Sep-19 15:06:43

I am so annoyed by hotels not having proper milk for my tea that I now pack a half pint every time I go away to a hotel or rental - here and abroad

Juliet27 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:12:15

Nvella We always ask for a jug of milk to take back to our room and hotels are always obliging.