Gransnet forums

AIBU

More Memories

(11 Posts)
Musicgirl Sun 15-Sep-19 17:43:40

Further to the recent threads about items we had/used years ago, a small catalogue, with items obviously aimed at the more mature consumers, fell out of yesterday's newspapers. Among the delectable things for sale were a portable manual typewriter (why?) and, wait for it, candlewick bedspreads! Who would want one of them? Apart from being highly allergic to them l have always thought them hideous and smacking of utility. I have enjoyed my duvet for decades although l do remember them being called continental quilts when they first appeared.

Sara65 Sun 15-Sep-19 17:50:56

Always getting told off, because I couldn’t resist pulling out the threads

BBbevan Sun 15-Sep-19 17:57:58

Sara I was just going to write the same. Had a candle wick dressing gown too. Very bald in places

annodomini Sun 15-Sep-19 18:19:27

My mum gave me a couple of white candlewick bedspreads when we had our first house. I put them in the spare room but thought them rather dreary, so I dyed them orange, as one did in the '70s! I don't think my mum was impressed. They must have gone to a charity shop before too long.

ninathenana Sun 15-Sep-19 18:30:29

smile I had a pink one on my bed as a child. I thought it lovely and comfy, 'at the time'.
I know the catalogue you mean musicgirl I have often puzzled over it's contents.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Sep-19 18:34:12

My mum used to be sent a little catalogue regularly, with what seemed the ugliest things from years gone by in it.

It was expensive, too!

M0nica Sun 15-Sep-19 18:48:06

I still have 2 very cheap candlewick bedspreads, used as dust sheets when decorating.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Sep-19 18:51:38

I quite like them blush

Keeper1 Sun 15-Sep-19 18:56:39

They are useful to put under a sand play table as the sand get caught up in the ridges.

Sara65 Sun 15-Sep-19 19:26:02

We had a brown one for a wedding present, I dyed it purple

EllanVannin Sun 15-Sep-19 19:37:38

I have a large vintage Diane Cowpe bedspread with a raised rose pattern, still good but I have to keep giving it to my D to put in her washing machine as it has a bigger drum. Because it's white I have to remember to fold it to the bottom of the bed or the cats jump on it with wet paws. I suppose it was the top-end of candlewick when it first came out.