Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think that people donating to the RNLI to save people from drowning shouldn’t object to 2% of that money going to save children in poor countries from drowning?

(130 Posts)
crystaltipps Mon 16-Sep-19 13:52:38

Just that really . The Daily Mail is making a hoohaa about it and many of their readers are complaining and stopping their donations. It’s in their accounts for all to see. They are funding teaching children in Bangladesh to swim in a country where 40 children drown a day. I can’t understand why anyone who gives a £1 wouldn’t mind 2p of it going to such a cause.

GagaJo Tue 17-Sep-19 11:06:02

EllanVannin, I'm sure your 7 GGC are a lot better off than children in Bangladesh. We're talking 2p in the pound.

We should NOT forget how much the UK raped and despoiled from overseas in our colonial days.

Whingingmom Tue 17-Sep-19 11:10:45

Human life is human life whatever shape, size, colour it is packaged in so it doesn’t matter to me as long as lives are saved.
However sometimes the six figure salaries of executives in various charities are unjustified and unnecessary in my opinion.

Nelli123 Tue 17-Sep-19 11:11:39

To be fair, it was also reported in The Times, with the main point being that the RNLI is expanding funding to its overseas schemes by more than 10 per cent while cutting jobs in the UK because "it needs to live within its means". www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rnli-funding-burkinis-for-africans-while-cutting-jobs-tnctwwl7d

Joelsnan Tue 17-Sep-19 11:42:46

I think most people are upset about is the fact that they thought they were donating to the National Lifeboat Institute. Brits are very generous in their international charitable donations and if tbe RNLI had set up seperate charities to fund their international work (excellent work that it is). I have little doubt that donations would have poured in.
I think its not that the donations are going overseas, it is the perceived deception. This despite RNLI stating that this funding is shown in their accounts...i am sure very few donors would scan the charity accounts.
The salaries of charity CEO’s etc. is another outrageous issue.

Ngaio1 Tue 17-Sep-19 11:46:55

If I donate to a charity i.e. RNLI, NSPCC, I expect my money to go to that charity. If I want to donate to a charity in another country (and I do) I shall donate directly.

harrigran Tue 17-Sep-19 11:58:37

It is in the wording National not International. If I want to give to international projects I will seek them out and donate.
If I could put the money in the hands of the lifesavers I would but as it stands the fat cats have to get fatter before the volunteers get the equipment.

Kupari45 Tue 17-Sep-19 12:34:55

I live in a village on the North East Coast. We hold small events all year round to raise money to support our local Lifeboat.
We were under the impression that all our donations were going to the RNLI.
Our local lifeboat needs every penny as so much money is wasted rescuing (idiots) who think they know better when following the safe times crossing the causeway at Holy Island.
Ours is a generous locality and we also raise money for other charities who help children in African countries.
I think most people who cancelled their donations to RNLI Probably felt angry that there money was being siphoned off to charities overseas- without there knowledge.
Its not a case of begrudging help to others in say African countries- its simply that we all choose the charities we wish to support- and in supporting the RNLI most of us did not realise that we were buying swimming costumes for charities abroad.!!! I will continue to support the RNLI , however I do understand why some folks were feeling angry about a small percentage of donations being sent overseas.

pinkquartz Tue 17-Sep-19 12:40:23

I think the CEO pay is obscene given that all the Lifeboat men and women are volunteers. Who takes the risks?
The Lifeboat volunteers put their own lives in danger I doubt the CEO does.

Of course the RNLI should continue to rescue all at risk but the idiots should feel obliged to make a donation. Then the RNLI will have more resources to use.

sodapop Tue 17-Sep-19 12:44:37

I agree harrigran. Also agree with pinkquartz about idiots who use any of the rescue services, they should have to make some sort of payment.

Diane227 Tue 17-Sep-19 12:47:48

I know someone who refused to give to the RNLI because they help to save illegal immigrants coming into the country via the coast.
Difficult to believe that she would rather see people drowned .

GagaJo Tue 17-Sep-19 12:52:20

Diane227, unfortunately there are a lot of very overt racists out there. Covert ones too.

maryhoffman37 Tue 17-Sep-19 12:54:46

i'm with @BlueBelle and others on this. A drowning child is a drowning child. And people wonder why I despise the Daily Mail.

crystaltipps Tue 17-Sep-19 13:05:07

Even though 98% of funding is used in the U.K. some narrow minded bigots would withdraw money from a good cause because 2% of it goes to poor (foreign) children. Words fail.

Rosina Tue 17-Sep-19 13:14:28

I do wish some posters wouldn't include everyone in sweeping statements about how cruel/selfish/racist etc. 'this country is'. We are a tolerant nation - so much so that it seems half the world would l like to live here. We even give legal aid to people to challenge deporatation for goodness sake - can you imagine any other nation paying for both sides in court? Yes, we have all come across the bigoted creeps and racist monsters who want to throw out anyone who hasn't got hunderds of years of family history here, but please let us not believe that most British people are the same. We are not and never have been; my childhood home was a melting pot of all races, living peacefully.

Legs55 Tue 17-Sep-19 14:40:03

I have been a Shoreline Member of RNLI for many years, I pay an annual (monthly DD) membership, I have "rattled my tin" outside Supermarkets, done Street Collections & buy from the Shops (in shop or on-line) & still donate if I see a Collector. I'm glad my donations are being put to good use & do not begrudge a small portion going to help save children in other Countries.

I was amused to read of the Father who sent a bill for the inflatable that his child was on which was punctured during a rescue, by return of post he received a bill for the rescue, funnily enough I don't think he pursued the RNLI for the money probably didn't donate towards cost of rescue either

mrsnonsmoker Tue 17-Sep-19 14:50:32

Why don't we all pay for this from taxes?

Lets have a tiny increase in tax to pay for this national emergency service. This should be a statutory service with salaried staff saving lives, not a bloody charity with volunteers, amazing as they are! Its appalling that a coastal rescue service on an island should only exist as a charity - they shouldn't have to fundraise. Its exactly the same and police, ambulance and fire.

As for "I will continue to support the RNLI , however I do understand why some folks were feeling angry about a small percentage of donations being sent overseas" - this beggars belief - as do all comments of that ilk.

25Avalon Tue 17-Sep-19 15:14:13

Curious, I have just read the actual article which gives a slightly different slant. The RNLI are spending money on crèches in Bangladesh and burkinis for Muslim women in Africa and their overseas spending has soared from £1.13million to £3.3 million in the past 5 years. Whilst extra money is being spent overseas they are reducing staff here. The tory MP told The Times "It is The Royal National Lifeboat Institution and not the Royal International Lifeboat Institution."
I think that is the crux of the matter. Most people giving think their money is being spent here and not overseas. The charity should make it quite clear where donations are being spent and better still set up a separate arm so that those who want to can contribute to overseas charities and those who don't can give to the RNLI for use in and around this country.

growstuff Tue 17-Sep-19 15:24:21

mrsnonsmoker The RNLI prefers to remain a charity so that it's not subject to financial cuts in the same way as the police, fire and ambulances services are.

Loislovesstewie Tue 17-Sep-19 15:39:39

I find it ridiculous that we seem to think that we have to be the saviour of everyone, everywhere. We are giving overseas aid to India , which has sent a failed probe to the moon. Why? If any country can do that then why do they need aid?
In the same way I don't think it is up to any organization in the UK to fund swimming lessons in another country. I agree that it is good to learn but why are the RNLI getting involved?

I'm sure that the cry will go up that I am racist , but truthfully I just see it as interfering . Individual countries should be capable of sorting themselves out . And BTW I always put my hand in my pocket when a natural disaster occurs; but I also believe in letting them make their own decisions at other times.

GillT57 Tue 17-Sep-19 15:43:06

25Avalon although you are correct about the burkinis and creches, you missed out about the crucial reason why they are being funded. The burkinis are to enable Muslim women to learn to swim and the teaching in creches in Bangladesh are to teach pre school children to swim. It is a very small percentage of the overall funding, and saves lives in a country where the safety of women and children is often of little concern

cmwmoonshine Tue 17-Sep-19 15:43:28

Well being from a coastal town I believe all children are taught to swim and treat the water with respect but there's always things that cannot be helped as last month a 6 year old boy who goes to the same school as my grandson fell in a river and was swept away from his father and two other adults and wasn't found for 5 days ?
It affected the community for miles around and if I were told we can't teach our kids to swim because someone thousands of miles away wouldn't part with a meagre amount of money ...............well.....................................................

sarahellenwhitney Tue 17-Sep-19 15:51:07

crystaltips
Read the full story and observe that women's Modesty Wear, for religious reasons, and not just swimming lessons for Bangladeshi children would come from donations made to the RNL.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 17-Sep-19 15:53:20

Correction.RNLI

GillT57 Tue 17-Sep-19 15:53:25

exactly cmwmoonshine. Interestingly, I remember reading that many years ago some coastal and island communities in Scotland and the Islands were unable to swim, despite being fishing communities. The reason was simple; there was no swimming pool, and the coastal waters were far too rough to learn to swim.

trisher Tue 17-Sep-19 15:55:42

Funny isn't it! some apparently are happy to donate money to help rescue rich idiots who buy boats but can't sail them, but not to donate a small amount to save the lives of poor children.