Gransnet forums

AIBU

David Cameron (at last)

(16 Posts)
Bridgeit Mon 16-Sep-19 18:49:19

I thought he spoke very well & he admitted his own responsibility in the fiasco that has ensued.
He still has much to offer IMO.

Davidhs Mon 16-Sep-19 18:53:32

So much to offer - Oh what a shame he isn’t a politician any more and can’t do any more damage!

Bridgeit Mon 16-Sep-19 19:03:18

Compared to Boris, quite a lot, in fact he really should be made to sort it out.

ayse Mon 16-Sep-19 19:22:53

It’s a shame he didn’t consider country before party before embarking on the project. It’s a bit late now to say mea culpa.

I wonder if he is still a member of the Conservative party and who he voted for in the leadership campaign. No respect for him from me. Saying sorry doesn’t wash

Smileless2012 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:28:05

Oh well that's alright then.

He calls a referendum, expects the majority will vote to remain so has no 'plan B' and despite telling the country he will remain in office regardless of the result, throws all of his toys out of his pram and resigns.

He should hang his head in shame for the fiasco he instigated.

M0nica Mon 16-Sep-19 19:38:06

David Cameron ended up where he did, because he has always been one to follow the crowd. He admits this himself and we saw it with the way his government kept announcing taxes or changes to something, only for him to peddle back three days later because so many people complained.

His whole leadership was based on leading from behind. The man lacks a backbone. This is why he bent before the pressure of the extreme right wing and held the referendum.

Smileless2012 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:42:19

"bent before the pressure of the extreme right and held the referendum" and ignored the advice of the EU not to hold a referendum.

Bridgeit Mon 16-Sep-19 19:48:31

There is an interview with him on ITV tonight. ( for anyone who wants to throw the remote at their telly )

Smileless2012 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:51:00

Think I'll pass, don't want to damage the TVgrin.

M0nica Mon 16-Sep-19 20:29:04

He is like Tony Blair, trying after the event to defend the indefensible.

Witzend Tue 17-Sep-19 16:21:13

Smileless2012, well of course the EU would have advised against holding referendum! They were afraid we'd vote the wrong way!
Should add that while I voted Remain I am by no means an uncritical admirer of all things EU.

DC was IMO very reckless in not requiring different rules than for an ordinary general election, which is not a permanent decision.

There should have needed IMO 50% of the population eligible to vote, not merely 50% of those who bothered to go and vote. The result might have been the same, but as it is we are bound by the decision of a good deal fewer than 50% of those on the electoral roll.

ForeverAutumn Sat 21-Sep-19 00:17:44

I quite liked DC until he showed what a complete prat he is in thinking that he can 'advise' the Queen on how she can influence a referendum. She is a constitutional monarch and is aware more than anyone that she can have no influence over the electorate. She was very polite in not telling him to fuck off. The minute our Royal Family have any political influence is the very minute we see their demise. Well, he has gone and Queen Elizabeth is still here, so there you go.

Sara65 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:00:47

I was never a fan, and after the referendum, felt nothing but contempt for him .
But at least he’s had the guts to admit his mistakes, I think he was a weak man, completely out of his depth, but not a bad man.

Peonyrose Sun 22-Sep-19 13:21:55

He ran away and left others to deal with the chaos, that shows the measure of the man.

NotSpaghetti Wed 25-Sep-19 14:06:43

He is like Tony Blair, trying after the event to defend the indefensible

Exactly, M0nica

EllanVannin Wed 25-Sep-19 14:51:16

I too thought he had a bit of " Blair " about him.