Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being unreasonably, unreasonable

(10 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 03-Oct-19 16:59:19

I do sometimes wonder if I am too unreasonable for the AIBU thread.
Does anyone else feel the same ?
I Either I think I am not robust enough & at other times I reflect as to wither I am a bit rude.
But the threads are usually very interesting, so I persevere. perhaps , I have masochistic tendencies or just incompatible opinions.?

Gonegirl Thu 03-Oct-19 17:10:37

You can only say what you truly believe. No point in wrapping it up. And we're all bound to get cross at other people's crap posts. It's the nature of that particular forum.

Gonegirl Thu 03-Oct-19 17:11:39

Not sure I'd want my opinions to be compatible with some on here.

Bridgeit Thu 03-Oct-19 17:15:51

That’s true Gonegirl, good point.?

sodapop Thu 03-Oct-19 18:03:48

That's what makes GN interesting, don't want bland, all sweetness and light posts all the time Bridgeit

Septimia Thu 03-Oct-19 18:17:04

There are some people on GN that I know I won't agree with most of the time, so I tend to avoid their posts!

But there's nothing wrong with being honest about what you think. If it's possible to do that while still being fairly polite, so much the better. Sometimes, though, that's hard to do.

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 18:27:07

I’ve never started a AIBU thread, so maybe I am too reasonable.?
I think if you ( or anyone) does start one, they have to be prepared for conflicting replies.

GillT57 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:38:44

I agree with lemon grin, if you start an AIBU thread, or ask for an opinion, you must be prepared for others to have a different ( but hopefully polite) opinion, there is little point in everyone agreeing, that is not helpful or informative.

Bridgeit Thu 03-Oct-19 18:45:43

When engaging in a debate in real life, we are able to hear tone of voice , innately read body language, emotional expressions etc therefore more cues to gauge how a comment is meant. Without seeing those basic & inherent, historic & biological cues our understanding is diminished, but on saying that I guess anything ending in - - - - off is easily understood!

Urmstongran Thu 03-Oct-19 18:56:31

I’ve never started a thread on this forum. I occasionally will post my opinion. Sometimes so many posters say ‘there, there’ which is indeed polite and kind. But now & again an opposing opinion, going against the flow as it were, seems to get shot down vehemently - even encouraging the like minded to ‘ignore’.

Where’s mabon when you need her? She would shoot from the hip sometimes but at least she wasn’t saccharine sweet following the herd!