Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think the de-horning of cattle in the New Forest to protect walkers is wrong?

(70 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 18-Oct-19 13:55:01

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/17/cattle-new-forest-could-have-horns-removed-prevent-attacking/

As the article points out, horns are often removed for husbandry reasons but I think anyone walking in areas where animals graze should take responsibility for their own safety and keep their dogs under control.

What do you think?

GoldenAge Sat 19-Oct-19 10:40:45

Here we go again - humans feeling their entitlement over animals - there are plenty of places to walk dogs - I have two large ones so I'm not a dog hater - and for humans to enjoy walks. It's plan common sense to avoid areas where cattle are wandering - we already subject cows to artificial insemination simply to satisfy our needs for beef and milk (I'm not vegan either) - let's for heaven's sake allow them to roam without being completely up our own bottoms!

Greciangirl Sat 19-Oct-19 10:44:17

I often read about foolish people who allow their dogs of the lead in a field of cows and their calves.

In some instances, there have been injuries and deaths because the cows are naturally protecting their babies.

So, my motto is, don’t go anywhere near wild animals.
Leave them alone.

jura2 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:44:54

with you 100% Merlot.

lizzypopbottle Sat 19-Oct-19 10:49:25

They do remove elephants' tusks and rhinos' horns to deter poachers but I've read recently that it's very painful to 'debud ' calves and that there's current, quite successful research into breeding cattle without horns. I agree that people should take responsibility for their own safety. I've heard that carrying a stout stick is recommended to deter cattle but avoiding them seems sensible.

Fiachna50 Sat 19-Oct-19 11:31:45

Up here in Scotland we just usually avoid cattle or deer when out walking. Stick to the edge of the field and just walk slowly. Obviously keep your dogs on a leash. It's very seldom we have had to walk near any cattle. You do have to be very careful if they have young calves. I do avoid cattle and have only walked anywhere near them if there has been no other route throùgh. I do not see why they have to be dehorned. They don't do this to Highland Cattle, folk are generally just careful and obviously you don't have your dog running about all over the place.

Blondiescot Sat 19-Oct-19 11:37:43

Well said, Fiachna50! Why should the animals have to suffer because some people are too stupid to realise that if you want to walk in the country, then you learn to respect the wildlife and livestock who live there!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 19-Oct-19 12:28:35

I detest the idea of de-horning cattle whether in milk herds or those living wild. They have horns to protect themselves.

Anyone walking a dog where there are cattle or sheep should keep the animal under proper control, which usually means on a lead.

Walking in the Pyrenees a couple of years ago, you could still see notices warning dog owners that dogs running loose could be shot on sight by sheep farmers. Anyone who know the damage a dog running wild amongst pregnant ewes can do cannot have any objection to that.

Cows with calves will protect their young, but are not otherwise likely to attack dogs or people.

MamaCaz Sat 19-Oct-19 12:48:45

As has been said, cattle don't need horns to kill people. Nor are they are just dangerous when they have young, and they don't just pose a danger to people walking dogs.

So no, I don't think they should be de-horned, as I think it is futile.

I can't comment on the New Forest, but I strongly suspect that farmers in some areas deliberately put cattle in specific fields on order to deter/prevent use of public footpaths.

In the countryside, this can mean either having to detour by several miles, or abort a walk half-way, which is not good if needing to get from A to B for a specific time!

pinkquartz Sat 19-Oct-19 12:51:49

mostly there are too many dogs badly behaved.
more should be done to coerce dog owners into properly training their dogs
None of this .....he is just being friendly rubbish!
Dogs are scary and should always be under control
also too many people everywhere
leave the cattle to roam.

Riggie Sat 19-Oct-19 12:56:54

I think there's often a misconception that cows are quiet docile animals. Many people dont realise that they are dangerous

Caro57 Sat 19-Oct-19 13:24:48

Why is the human race so arrogant that it thinks everything eslse should be compromised to suit our desires? And why oh why is common sense and general safety not instilled

MissAdventure Sat 19-Oct-19 13:27:52

Perhaps we could chop their legs off in case they trample anyone?

4allweknow Sat 19-Oct-19 13:40:21

The animals have rights too a d should not have to accommodate walkers. Why are walkers near cattle anyway? Ramblers etc know to stay well clear and avoid crossing areas if cattle are grazing. It will be the 'let's have a walk in the country brigade who know nothing amount the countryside or animals that habit it.

Rosina Sat 19-Oct-19 14:13:16

I live near some beautiful water meadows where cows graze. Notices advise people about staying away from them, and dog walkers are instructed to keep dogs on a lead. This does not stop idiots letting their dogs chase and attack the swans and ducks, and I held my breath last year while a man pushed his tiny child's buggy through the middle of a herd of cows. These poor creatures should be left alone. Why should they be mutilated because some people are stupid?
If we carry on like this everything everywhere will need to be fenced off and we will all be walking about wearing sorbo rubber suits and crash helmets.

Tigertooth Sat 19-Oct-19 15:12:14

Yesterday 14:08
Alexa

PS tourists should stay at home and save fuel.

Wow - so you never take any trips or holidays? Well done you.

HavantGuard Sat 19-Oct-19 15:13:57

The New Forest is a huge area that includes several villages. Cattle (and ponies) are everywhere. They roam freely. That includes on roads, village greens and in people’s gardens. It’s pretty common to have a cattle grid at the bottom of your drive to keep your plants safe. You can’t avoid cattle.

HavantGuard Sat 19-Oct-19 15:19:55

There are hundreds of camp sites, B&Bs and rental cottages. Farmers will run often a camp site and do cream teas or cakes. There are organised cycling and walking holidays. The pubs, restaurants, cafes and shops rely on tourist for their trade.

Merryweather Sat 19-Oct-19 17:01:05

De horning happens all over the place- farms, national parks, tourist spots because it’s safer for the animals and those caring for them.
Usually a local anaesthetic is used when the animal is a few days to weeks old then the horn is burnt to the bone to prevent re growth. A long lasting pain killer is usually also administered. It’s a very quick process. It looks a tad brutal and the animals usually object to being held.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Oct-19 17:23:20

Perhaps we should be looking at those too. Sad, really.

whywhywhy Sat 19-Oct-19 17:43:15

These beautiful animals should keep their horns and make people stay away! Dogs on the loose can do a lot of harm when animals have young ones. I feel like dehorning some people!!!

goldengirl Sat 19-Oct-19 18:23:38

It used to be common practice to dehorn cattle when I was younger but nowadays I thought that had allowing cows to be 'natural' was the thing. Common sense should prevail. I was brought up with cows around and it was only if there was a bull in the field was I told to be careful. Respect for animals and common sense seems to be going out of the window - just don't get me started on badgers poor things. I remember walking in some woods where there was an adder basking and someone said that it was dangerous and should they get someone to kill it!!! It was just minding its own business. Fortunately noone took any action and lo! noone was hurt.

Dresden Sat 19-Oct-19 18:53:29

Several posters have pointed out that the New Forest is a very large area with several villages and a lot of residents. It is impossible to keep away from the animals - cows, ponies, pigs, donkeys and sheep roam everywhere, including the roads. It is useless to say that people should stay away, it is inevitable that if you live, walk or drive in the New Forest, you will encounter animals wandering freely.

Deedaa Sat 19-Oct-19 22:03:00

When we had a smallholding cows were always dehorned, mainly to stop them damaging each other. A horn in an udder could cause a lot of damage. The calves were done by the vet when they were very young, using a local anaesthetic. Our goats were dehorned as well. It isn't unknown for someone to catch their arm between a goat's horns and end up with a broken arm if the goat suddenly twists its head away.

Hetty58 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:23:15

Health and safety gone mad I think. I grew up and went to school where cattle wandered freely. People need to be educated about the dangers and how to behave near livestock. Dogs should be kept on leads. Why subject cattle to this painful mutilation?

www.vegansouls.com/cattle-dehorning

SpringyChicken Sat 19-Oct-19 22:52:23

Owners who let their dogs off the lead near cattle are very unwise. If the cattle choose to chase it, the dog will often run back to its owner for protection and the cattle will follow.