Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel the BBC should be impartial?

(116 Posts)
Persistentdonor Mon 11-Nov-19 10:07:38

Yesterday, live footage from the Cenotaph showed our PM looking less than smart, stumbling around and presenting his wreath upside down, while H.M. Queen watched from a balcony.
Today, on BBC morning news, the 2019 Cenotaph ceremony was reported, showing a clip from 2106 of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary, looking smart in a suit, and watched by H.M. Queen standing at street level.

I am horrified to know that the BBC is manipulating public opinion in this way. I thought the BBC is supposed to be fair and impartial. Clearly I was wrong. angry

Chestnut Wed 27-Nov-19 16:04:15

Surely the number of tweets are relative to what is in the news at the time? Stop trying to read something into everything just to suit your agenda.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:03:05

Hmm!
Rough tweet count from
@bbclaurak
over last 7 days:

Tory Islamophobia 1
Westminster sexual harassment 1
Party donations 3
Lib Dem campaign 5
TV debates 7
Tory campaign 24
Labour campaign 29
Labour antisemitism 37

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 17:48:02

I see that the BBC whilst recognising that Johnson consistently tells lies, figures that it will undermine peoples trust in politics if they report his lies.

Blimey so suppressing truth = Increase trust
Telling the truth = decreasing trust

What twisted logic is that?

jura2 Wed 20-Nov-19 17:47:25

you don't mean Hannan who said no-one in their right mind would even consider getting out of the Customs' Union and the Single Market ;)

varian Wed 20-Nov-19 17:43:14

The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation were not certainly not unbiased when they invited Farage to appear on Question Time 29 times in the years leading up to the fraudulent referendum. The only other MEP invited was Tory brexiter Hannan. NO other MEP was ever invited to speak.

Chestnut Wed 20-Nov-19 15:59:42

.....there is a law demanding that the BBC remain scrupulously even handed and without bias in the period before a general election.
If that's true then they broke that law in 2015 when Evan Davis interviewed Farage. I've never seen any interviewer be so rude in my life! I don't know how Farage managed to stay there and not walk out. It was unspeakably awful and extremely biased. The questions did not even relate to the election. Anyone who thinks the BBC is right wing should think again!

Persistentdonor Wed 20-Nov-19 14:23:43

You are definitely not the only one who thinks there should be an investigation to find out if there were instructions from beyond the BBC Jura......

Agree Pantglas

Pantglas2 Tue 19-Nov-19 11:55:46

I agree it SHOULD be investigated but we know it won’t because it won’t show anyone in a good light will it? The tories for requesting it and the BBC for acquiescing - what astonishes me is they thought they’d get away with it!

If I was a candidate for any other party being interviewed, I’d find a way to refer to it every time I spoke but then they’d stop asking wouldn’t they!

jura2 Tue 19-Nov-19 11:46:16

must learn to spell check first, sorry!

jura2 Tue 19-Nov-19 10:13:48

Am I really the only one who thinks it should be inverstigated- to find our if there were instructions from beyond the BBC?

jura2 Tue 19-Nov-19 09:32:29

Exactly. But the question remain, and it is, to my mind, a very important one. Did the BBC decide to do this of their own bat- or were they instructed to do so, and by whom. This is just not being addressed.

The first is wrong, for sure- the second another story altogether, and would be even more serious.

Persistentdonor Mon 18-Nov-19 10:31:25

Goodness me..... 3 entire pages strayed well away from the original question, and turned into a series of vitriolic political diatribes.

The BBC archived footage from 2016, which was retrieved by the BBC and carefully spliced into BBC footage from the previous day was a deliberate action to mislead the public.

The actual mistake was in hoping the public would not notice deliberate bias.

Not only do I believe that I have a right to an impartial BBC at all times, as far as I am aware, there is a law demanding that the BBC remain scrupulously even handed and without bias in the period before a general election.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 17-Nov-19 16:26:58

Not only is the BBC not impartial, it is not "relatable".

Andrew Marr, on being told about the LPs intention to make dental inspections free and why it would actually save the NHS money, etc., replied "many people prefer to go to a private dentist". Well Mr Marr, we could hardly call you a man off the people. Approximately 10% of the population used a private dentist. Mr Marr may move in circles where most people can and do go privately but 90% of us are very grateful for NHS dentists.

varian Sun 17-Nov-19 10:56:39

The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation have surpassed themselves this week.

We are in a general election campaign and yet there was no LibDem spokesperson on any of their "flagship" political programmes - Question Time, Any Questions or Andrew Marr. All we get is Tory, Labour, Scottish and Welsh Nationalists and, to add insult to injury, the so-called "Brexit party".

That's right -NO LIBDEMS - not one on any of these programmes. How do they get away with it?

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 10:53:35

The Liberal Democrats have a range of policies to present to the voters but no k e can deny that brexit is by far the most important issue in this election and unless it is stopped the country will be poorer. The leaders debate is designed to present two versions of "delivering brexit" which is not ( a.c. according to the overwhelming weight of polling evidence for the last two years) what most people want. People want to stop brexit and they must not be fooled into thinking it cannot be stopped.

yggdrasil Sat 16-Nov-19 10:12:08

varian: Corbyn and Johnson are running scared of Jo Swinson - add your name to demand they #DebateHer ⬇️

Not scared, merely slightly annoyed. She makes too much noise and arrogance for a leader of a minority party.
There is a hope that Johnson and Corbyn will actually talk of something other than Brexit, which wouldn't happen if she was there. She will get her chance along with all other parties at the later debate

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 08:25:00

We should remember that over 6 million people signed a petition asking for Article 50 to be revoked

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 08:20:32

The Liberal Democrats have always supported a se one referendum and voted for it 17 times in the HOC

However if there should be a majority LD govt that would be a mandate to revoke Article 50 and Remain in the EU.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 16-Nov-19 07:59:35

Corbyn and Johnson are running scared of Jo Swinson ...

Really? I haven't heard them mention her unless directly asked. I think the LDs have caused their own problems by going for revoke instead of a confirmatory referendum.

There is an all party debate as well.

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 07:19:56

Jo Swinson

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 07:18:50

There are three possible candidates for PM, the leaders of the parties which are standing in over 600 seats, just as there were in 2010 when Nick Clegg, Gordon Brown and David Cameron took part in the leaders debate.

When the LibDem policies and the LibDem leader were compared with the other two, there was a general agreement that the Libdems had won. Brown and Cameron kept saying" I agree with Nick"

Now we have two unpopular men leading parties which are much more extreme and it appears they are unwilling to debate a woman who is able to express the views of millions of voters who do not want a far right or far left government.

Jo Ssinson wants to stop brexit and would clearly explain why we are better off remaining in the EU. Is that what they are frightened of?

The public should be able to compare the three leaders alongside each other and judge for themselves which of the three talks sense.

SirChenjin Fri 15-Nov-19 22:59:17

Are they going to be on the ITV debate?

Chestnut Fri 15-Nov-19 22:57:39

It is an outrage that millions of Remainers will not have a voice in the ITV election debate.
Calm down dear. And get your facts straight. The LimpDems, Greens and Nicola Sturgeon are on the BBC next Friday.

varian Fri 15-Nov-19 20:21:10

It is an outrage that millions of Remainers will not have a voice in the ITV election debate.

Corbyn and Johnson are running scared of Jo Swinson - add your name to demand they #DebateHer ⬇️

t.co/mXELH0Kdwo t.co/t0E5CW3KOA

varian Fri 15-Nov-19 19:42:09

It is a travesty of democracy, typical of the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation over many years.