Gransnet forums

AIBU

50 Shades

(22 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:59:16

gulligranny I downloaded them onto my kindle whilst on holiday as every other person (male and female) seemed to be reading them round the pool. Wanted to read for myself to see what all the hype was about.

gulligranny Fri 13-Dec-19 12:46:36

Yes, I must also confess to reading the trilogy - what a load of c**p, but I felt I should so I could voice an opinion!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:05:12

Well I will own up to reading it and both sequels, badly written yes, sex scenes not all that sexy.

Anastasia comes out on top, in every way!!!

I read all genres, some are better than others?

yggdrasil Fri 13-Dec-19 08:55:13

harrigran: descriptions of sex that no nice person would indulge in.

This made me laugh. Possibly glad I am not 'nice'
But it was badly written, there is a lot better erotica around grin

BlueBelle Thu 12-Dec-19 22:26:45

Sunseeker it still is

Bridgeit Thu 12-Dec-19 21:59:22

absolutely agree, what a load of B-ll-ks .it did make me laugh though, I couldn’t take it seriously , not very well written, but many seem to have loved it!

Purplepoppies Thu 12-Dec-19 21:29:16

I did read it. I read erotic fiction. This book was not the best I've read.
I was more shocked to see it in my mums house and discover it was her husband's copy ?

sunseeker Thu 12-Dec-19 08:48:18

I used to work in a charity shop and the most donated book was 50 shades - usually in pristine condition as they obviously hadn't been read. I tried the first few chapters but gave up as it was so badly written. It sold because of all the hype

harrigran Thu 12-Dec-19 08:41:14

I read it because of all the hype, it was poorly written and just trying to grab attention with descriptions of sex that no nice person would indulge in.
I would say it was written for the population that watch chavy TV programmes.

Nortsat46 Thu 12-Dec-19 07:57:55

We have a friend who always brings a couple of large bags of paperbacks to us for ‘first refusal’, before taking them to the charity shop.

Last time he did this, we selected a few we liked the look of and I couldn’t resist remarking “We’ll leave 50 Shades of Grey for Oxfam’.

He said neither he nor his partner had finished it ...

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Dec-19 07:30:33

I haven't read it but give anything enough publicity, even rubbish, and it will sell - coca cola is proof of that.

And remember, those people who have bought this book, hadn't actually read it at the time!

agnurse Thu 12-Dec-19 00:50:48

Refused to read it on principle. Have heard that it's very poorly written.

BBbevan Wed 11-Dec-19 19:00:02

I was bored with it half way through, so never finished it

TerriBull Wed 11-Dec-19 18:15:11

It didn't appeal to me and wasn't tempted to read an incy wincy bit, inspite of the publicity. Following the Grace Milane murder in NZ, it seems apropos of this book there are increasing number of cases where violence of that nature is used against women. Worrying! wonder if women are truly complicit in such encounters, or whether they feel pressurised.

It might be the best selling book, but then again "The Sun" has the highest circulation, I believe, of all the national newspapers.

Yorksherlass Wed 11-Dec-19 18:06:51

The saddest thing I saw when this book came out with all the hype , was a girl aged about 9 or 10 reading it in Tesco and her mother reading a magazine further down the aisle .

shandi6570 Wed 11-Dec-19 17:06:47

Might have been the best selling book/s of the decade but I would be very surprised if they were the most read, more likely the best selling book/s you wished you hadn't purchased. As QuaintIrene says, the charity shops are full of them.

annodomini Wed 11-Dec-19 17:04:55

Read the free download of the first few pages and decided it was quite the worst written book in English and dismissed it without examining the content.

QuaintIrene Wed 11-Dec-19 17:00:59

Really ?! Ye gods. Charity shops are still full of them.
I am not surprised, just a bit saddened as well.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Dec-19 16:58:38

Didn’t read them, didn’t feel I wanted to read them

wildswan16 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:54:33

quaintirene, because it has just been announced that 50 shades has taken the top three slots of the most popular books of the decade.

Quite sad I think.

QuaintIrene Wed 11-Dec-19 16:45:36

This was published a good while ago ?
Just wondering why you are asking now.

sodapop Wed 11-Dec-19 16:39:14

AIBU to worry when this is the best selling book/books of the year. In my opinion it was a badly written lot of tosh.
What do others think.?