(98 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 30-Dec-19 17:53:11

Hot cross buns making me well, cross and hot ( under the collar!) grin

MissAdventure Sat 11-Jan-20 17:00:15

Mothers day cards are now in, too.

H1954 Sat 11-Jan-20 16:56:53

Creme Eggs are also in the shops!

Xander Sat 11-Jan-20 16:51:45

In the 60s while at secondary school,I had a Saturday job in a family owned bakers shop. This was well before shops being open on Bank Holidays, became the norm. On Good Friday I, together with the owner, spent the morning selling freshly baked Hot Cross Buns. We sold hundreds of them!!!!! I did and still do love Hot Cross Buns but non taste as good as those I bagged and sold all those years ago. The shop is still going but they must have changed the recipe. Just a suggestion, try eating Hot Cross Buns with butter and Cheddar cheese.I also eat cheese with fruit cake. YUM(I earned double time for those 4 hours making total of 10 shillings, a fortune to me)

Rufus2 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:07:37

I thought better of you
Namsnanny; You're not alone; So did my parents! grin
Are you the same Namsnanny who comes across all friendly like on the "Uke" thread.?
Until I'm sure I can't fairly refute your wild accusations, other than to say I was angry, had something to say and said it!
Oh! and please don't patronise me; it's not very becoming! sad OoRoo

Decembergirl Tue 07-Jan-20 16:39:49

Why don’t they just call them ‘spiced buns’ available all year, and then save the cross for Easter. Simple????
I mutter about this constantly sad to say ??

Namsnanny Tue 07-Jan-20 15:45:02

Tillybelle ...smile as hetty58 says its bonkers but I suppose we don't have to buy them!

Namsnanny Tue 07-Jan-20 14:52:33

Thanks for the reply pudding yes your right sometimes life can be complicated.
But no I do t think I'm behaving like a grumpy old woman, how could I, I'm not old!!! grin

FlorenceN Tue 07-Jan-20 14:33:09

Easter eggs are for sale in my local co-op today

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 10:20:35

Warning:
They could contain Palm Oil

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 10:19:06

BradfordLass I will check the ingredients (does that mean buying some before Good Friday?) but I wouldn't think that the Hazardous Bunspice Essence you pictured in your post is legal in the UK.

Pudding123 Tue 07-Jan-20 09:59:34

Namsnanny..When I read your post I had had a really bad nights sleep about 2 hours in total so yes I
probably was feeling a bit grumpy and had also watched the news so I didn't realise your post was lighthearted so apologies if I offended you perhaps we are both suffering from Grumpy Old Women syndrome?

Namsnanny Tue 07-Jan-20 03:30:55

Guess what my husband brought home with the rest of the shopping today ?????? grin

I wont be eating them though, I shall try making my own nearer the time. Especially as Bradfordlass pointed out all the chemical flavouring that is used.
I should have realised really, because they smell nice but the flavour isn't there when you bite into them.

Namsnanny Tue 07-Jan-20 03:27:24

Pudding and Rufus ,,,,, really what silly comments.
How do you know what people on GN think and do with regards to the ills of the world?

Pudding ... I remember some of your past posts and realise that you have had/ been having a bad year, and I am truly sorry for that. I hope things have or will be more happy and settled for you soon.
Maybe some of us are also suffering with a problem, maybe its similar to your own, and maybe we are finding a light hearted way to cope with the vicissitudes of life?
I'm assuming you posted without thinking.

Rufus ... I'm sorry you may be worried about the situation in Aus, but don't assume that gives you the right to jump to conclusions about others.
Remember, when you post a jokey thread complaining that no one is joining in with your fun, perhaps people were feeling as you do now.
Rather than inflict their mood onto others by casting aspersions, they take a more mature attitude and try to cope with their feelings.

I'm sorry if I seem harsh, but given your previous posts I thought better of you.

Callistemon … just saw your posts, expressed with more thoughtfulness than mine. smile

cupaffull Tue 07-Jan-20 01:51:36

SueDonim.... how can your dh eat those Cadbury’s creme eggs. They never did taste of much at all but even the chocolate is now unspeakably vile.
The Yanks/ Mondalez reformulated Dairy Milk which now contains palm oil so just can't face Cadburys choc anymore. As an ex Brummie, breaks my heart to say it. sad

GreenGran78 Tue 07-Jan-20 01:19:20

I’m not complaining, because I’m very partial to a hot cross bun. The trouble is that, catering solely for myself, it usual ends up as 4 or 6 of them, so I don’t buy them very often. Too more-ish, and it’s hard to stop at only one.

grannybuy Mon 06-Jan-20 21:53:18

On the ' bun theme ', I tend to split them through the middle, and put each half in the toaster, but I discovered a downside to this! It caused a fuse. The first time, I couldn't understand why. I set the tripswitch, and everything came back on. Then it happened minutes later - when I put the toaster on for the second time. I got everything on again after another visit to the fuse box in my garage. After the third try, I realised that it must have been something to do with the toaster. I looked online, and followed the advice to see if there was anything burnt on to the element. There was a sultana! Once removed, the toaster worked, and no more fuses. It happened again at DD's today's! I tried to toast two half teacakes, but the toaster stopped working, as did the kettle and cooker. I tried again, same thing, then I remembered the last occasion. Sure enough, there was a sultana stuck on the element. Beware toasting buns with fruit in them!

4allweknow Mon 06-Jan-20 18:54:57

Supermarkets have hot x buns all year round. Some have just spiced buns without the attempt of a cross. Yes, easter eggs in stores even before Christmas.

sluttygran Mon 06-Jan-20 18:28:41

Dont forget that Christmas will be starting in July - buy as much as you can before stocks run low!

Daisyboots Mon 06-Jan-20 17:19:14

I like that Asda sell their hot cross buns all year round as I am rarely in England at Easter. To me apart from the cross on top they are just tasty very fruity buns that I enjoy. Last time was November 2018. My eldest DD is coming with her DH for a short visit in February so perhaps she she will find space in her hand luggage for a pack or two. But they wont be from Asda I'm afraid.

Lilyflower Mon 06-Jan-20 16:33:43

I buy a packet of Tesco's Finest Extra Fruity Hot Cross Buns every week to have with my 'Soup-and-a-bun' suppers. They are excellent. (Even if I do agree that seasonal foods should be seasonal!)

Magrithea Mon 06-Jan-20 15:56:12

Almost as soon as (before!) the Christmas stuff was cleared the Valentine's stuff is on the shelves!!!

petalmoore Mon 06-Jan-20 14:43:28

I make my own Hot Cross buns in time for Good Friday. Following my brother’s example, if we make spiced currant buns at other time, they are given a different epithet, ‘Not Cross, Just Disappointed’ buns.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 14:21:44

We've still got mince pies, Christmas cake, chocolates, shortbread etc to finish

I can't even look at a bun.

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 14:18:54

It's all bonkers - but we don't have to buy them!

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 14:18:49

a hot bun without a cross?

Fewer calories DillytheGardener