Gransnet forums

AIBU

How do you make the most out of retirement

(48 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 26-Jan-20 10:19:49

I have a few years to go but, although I'm looking forward to leaving the ratrace, I'm also a bit worried that I might find it difficult to fill my days. I'm just wondering how other gransnetters found retirement worked out for them and if it is difficult to adjust to having all that free time?

Callistemon Sun 02-Feb-20 10:29:53

WI is quite expensive, Gracesgran, I am surprised.
TWG is about £25 (variable) I think.

Ethel I do find that procrastination is a problem. When you know you only have a limited time to do essential tasks because you have to get out to work, they got done, whereas now mañana could be the theme.

Callistemon Sun 02-Feb-20 10:21:54

As someone who retired because my health was not going at all swimmingly, I did look at a volunteering thread and thought that I could not possibly have done that. However, I did find, when I was on a more even keel, joining some groups beneficial.

Meeting new people could mean you find a new and supportive group who may help if you do hit hard times again.

Our U3A is £10 pa but we then have to contribute towards rental of various premises and refreshments.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 02-Feb-20 09:50:42

It cost £20 to join U3A last year. At some meetings you contribute to the tea/coffee, etc., at some, you take it in turn.

The WI membership subscription for 2020 is £43.00. Pro-rata if you join later I think.

It is lovely if it all goes easily for you but could we just remember that is not true for everyone. Some retire because of ill health or care responsibilities, some find their relationship not standing up to such close inspection and some had made their life around their work and find the change takes time. Some end up with new illnesses and some find they are becoming depressed. Some just find it difficult and that it takes time to adjust.

I am not trying to spoil the vision of those for whom it went swimmingly but could we just consider that telling others just how easy it is may not help someone who is struggling.

Daddima Sat 01-Feb-20 20:55:20

I’ve just seen this on Facebook-

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Feb-20 20:11:15

Ethel may well not be entitled to a free bus pass, unless there are special arrangements where she lives. I don't get mine till my 66th birthday and that applies to many of us in England.

Beswitched Sat 01-Feb-20 20:10:57

Thanks everyone. Im involved in community theatre, do some creative writing and have been published /nominated for awards and love cooking and baking so hopefully that will keep me busy. Would also like to volunteer tp cook meals on wheels and am a chur goer so would like to help out with cleaning rota. Hopefully that will work out and keep me busy.

Callistemon Sat 01-Feb-20 19:58:37

A knit and natter group ethel?

Callistemon Sat 01-Feb-20 19:57:27

Ethel apply for your free bus pass and you will be able to travel to places you've always wanted to see. You could make a picnic instead of paying for lunches, go with friend perhaps.

I don't know if the WI costs much to join; I do know there is a charge for U3A but it is not much, a registration fee and the other charge is just to cover the cost of rental of premises.

Volunteering means you will get out and about and meet people without any cost.

lemongrove Sat 01-Feb-20 19:20:05

ethelbags I do know what you mean, it’s harder going out when you don’t have much money.
As others suggest, book groups, socials at your church ( if you go) and even the occasional GN meeting?
Have friends to your house for tea and cake ( cheaper than eating out) and visit places using the free bus pass, and use the library.Local walks?

lemongrove Sat 01-Feb-20 19:15:03

Sounds like an excellent plan Tooting ?

There are no hard and fast rules about retirement, just enjoy life as much as you are able Beswitched doing whatever you enjoy best, walking, painting, reading, meeting friends, gardening etc.
I enjoy various clubs, meeting friends for lunch, visiting NT
Houses, but some days spend hours reading or doing crosswords etc.It’s the one time in your life to do what you like.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 01-Feb-20 18:23:31

I hope it all works out as you planned Tooting. Perhaps everyone is not so lucky with health and calls on their time but of course, you know how to do it so no problems for you.

Tooting29 Sat 01-Feb-20 17:59:40

It's what you make it. I retire soon and have plans in place to keep body and soul together. One hobby to keep the brain cells ticking over, gardening to keep me fit, time to spend with my loved ones, time to contribute to the community by joining a community group.

prestbury Thu 30-Jan-20 15:32:30

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my retirement, all the hobbies I had paid lip service to during my working life but never really had the time.

Now been retired five years and still don't have the time for some of my older hobbies, it does make me wonder how I found time for work.

Newquay Wed 29-Jan-20 08:47:33

I was concerned about retiring too but, as others have said, it’s the best job I’ve ever had. I did have interests before retiring which helps. U3A is brilliant. Have found a keep fit/circuits class (for our age group) which is sociable too. Two choirs-they’re not cheap it must be said though. Use free bus pass. I Try to keep Wednesdays free so, if anyone suggests meeting up that’s free. And as OP have said, free to spend time in garden or catching up on films, books, music in bad weather. And there’s always clearing out to do too!

GracesGranMK3 Wed 29-Jan-20 08:13:48

it it's

GracesGranMK3 Wed 29-Jan-20 08:13:16

Telbar. Yes, you can do things on a limited income but like everything on smaller funds it takes more organising and fewer things are available. Spontaneity is not a word that goes with low income. If you are not walking it Telbar, don't tell others how their shoes feel; it arrogant and rude.

Dinahmo Tue 28-Jan-20 21:49:07

My friends and I all similar ages (early 70s) but retired at different times. Two of them, with fairly high powered jobs were reluctant to retire so worked until 65. Now we all wonder how we would manage to find the time to work because there are so many things to do, as many of the above have said.

My OH and I were self employed throughout most of our working lives and we only have small pensions. I continue to work - I have a small consultancy and enjoy it. Plus it pays for holidays and new specs for me. I live in France so not much opportunity for voluntary work but I am secretary of 2 local associations. I enjoy what I would call homemaking - new covers for cushions and and chairs, making marmalade - all things that I didn't have time for when I was in full time employment.

One friend here knits brightly coloured socks - no elastic so they don't cut into one's legs. She also makes quilts. One friend in the UK is heavily into quilts and she also dyes her own fabrics. Over the years they have both made cot quilts and quilts for newly married couples setting up home and for other friends who ask nicely.

Bewitched you will find things to do once you start investigating what is available.

TwiceAsNice Tue 28-Jan-20 06:27:16

and I love my free bus pass!

TwiceAsNice Tue 28-Jan-20 06:25:47

I retired from full time work 3.5 years ago and moved house to be near my children . I spend a fair amount of time with them.

I still work 1.5 days a week , volunteer once a month at our church crèche and help out at church on Friday mornings. Thursday mornings I go to a knitting group and have a book club once a month.

I have had to find my way around a new area and make new friends and that took a couple of years to feel really settled if I’m honest but fine now and I still drive back to Wales to see friends and my best friend comes and stays with me ( she is my base when I travel back)

It is much more expensive to live in the SE than Wales so I do worry about how I will manage when I finally give up work for good. I budget carefully and don’t have a lot of money left over but I do enjoy not working full time

Tedber Tue 28-Jan-20 05:46:12

growstuff almost spat my tea out with your statement to me about not knowing what it’s like to be poor ?. Will say no more!

If you want to find things to do - you can! Plain and simple. If you want to sit and whine you can! Not harsh - just fact

growstuff Mon 27-Jan-20 21:07:17

Tedber I think you were very harsh to etheltbags too. It depend where she lives. If it's anything like where live, she won't be able to take advantage of a free bus pass. Not everywhere has parks and museums. I assume you don't actually know what being really poor is like Tedber.

etheltbags There are sometimes reading groups - ask at the local library, if you have one. Be careful about voluntary work and be a bit choosy. It all depends what interests you. Ask around. There are sometimes local groups with the same interests as you - knitting, history, whatever. I do quite a bit of voluntary work, but I've had a few false starts.

craftergran Mon 27-Jan-20 20:57:59

ethelbags you can get reduced rates for the Historic buildings, castles etc after aged 60. Probably similar for National Trust buildings. But other than that, there is You Tube which you can learn new hobbies from, anything you want to do there is likely a You Tube video on how to do it. At the moment I am into Paper Mache. But I have tried all sorts.

dahlia Mon 27-Jan-20 20:03:41

Tedber, I think you are being a big harsh: etheltbags has a point about lack of funds. We manage our income (less than £18,000 a year between us) by being careful, but there are times when we would love to do something lavish and not have to count the pennies all the time. We enjoy life with hobbies and volunteering, but I have to admit I find it hard at times and downright boring!

etheltbags1 Mon 27-Jan-20 19:25:13

I will update you all when I retire, I'm 66 in October. I think I may have an tiny pension from a previous job but it won't be much, however I will be volunteering at the local cancer shop.

Tedber Sun 26-Jan-20 21:33:31

Sorry Ethelbags1 but you are speaking rubbish! Free bus passes mean you can visit other places (even if it takes a while from bus to bus). Museums are free, parks are free. Volunteering is free and groups like U3A are nominal fees - even the poorest can afford them.

If anyone wants to sit at home and feel sorry for themselves then they can but IF they want to get out there then it isn't just the comfortably off that can do it.