Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder when old age starts

(93 Posts)
granniechrissie Sun 09-Feb-20 23:49:40

I (aged 61) recently met up with my cousin (aged 70), I asked him what he was doing these days and he said that he was doing voluntary work helping the aged. My mum (88) is still pretty active, so when does old age start?

NotSpaghetti Mon 10-Feb-20 13:03:11

My family has all died young of many and various conditions. Although I know I am not very old statistically (in my 60s) given that no one in my family has ever reached beyond late 70s I think I am in the last chunk of my life. Do I feel old? Of course not!
My husband comes from a family where 90+% of his relatives have lived into their late 90s or early 100s.
He is the same age as me but probably not nearly as "old"!

Just hope the children have inherited his family's healthy longevity!

Phoebes Mon 10-Feb-20 13:09:19

Old age is all in the mind as far as I’m concerned! I’m 77, my health isn’t great, but I’m up for anything new, have been computer literate for years ( very important if you don’t want to miss out on life) and love fashion. You’ll never see me in a beige cardi! I took up oil painting around 10 years ago and regularly sell my pictures. Kneeling down is difficult since I had my knee replacement, but I still go to keep-fit once a week and keep the garden under control. My husband does the heavy work, but I do the planting.
My advice to anyone who is feeling their age is to buy a lap-top and go to the free computer classes at your local library. When I was over 60 I got City and Guilds level one in word processing and have found it so handy. My husband did the same. He is 72 and plays table tennis twice a week and got an award last year for being the top volunteer in the south-east. Positive mental attitude helps enormously!

Theoddbird Mon 10-Feb-20 13:19:41

I will be 69 next month. I consider myself 'older' not old or elderly. I have just retired. Bored though...going to join the gym. I bought a narrow boat to live on when I was 66. Love my life. Will keep on trucking....

Rufus2 Mon 10-Feb-20 13:20:07

Evening All!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3pzK4TCAc8

OoRoo

Purpledaffodil Mon 10-Feb-20 13:24:01

My late in laws were old at 50. They never went anywhere unless essential for a family wedding and then for the shortest time possible. But to me their attitude was summed up in their words “That ‘ll see us out” whenever they bought anything for the house or even clothes for themselves. It’s a sentence DH and I use in jest just to remind us of the need to be positive. I’m sure that attitude is so important.

HettyMaud Mon 10-Feb-20 13:24:44

My DH, aged 73, never thinks about old age and still works part-time and has loads of energy. However, my GS, aged 13, thinks my SON (his uncle) is old at 41. So it's all a matter of perspective. However I'm nearly 70 and feeling old now - looking in the mirror is depressing, some hair loss, sudden wrinkles and - the worst bit - nobody ever says how young I look any more. When I tell them my age they just nod their head.

Musicgirl Mon 10-Feb-20 13:34:08

I admit to early middle age. In reality, just how many 110 year olds are there?

Grammaretto Mon 10-Feb-20 13:40:26

My FiL is an inspiration. He's 94 and although he's not allowed to drive anymore apart from the scooter, he has state of the art dental care teeth and hearing aids. He always looks smart..
When he needed a stair lift - he bought one online.

At the election, he made sure he got to the polling place with DMiL riding pillion.

I suppose he is getting more impatient and there are a lot of funerals when you get to their age but we have organised a family reunion this Summer and there are many birthdays and anniversaries.

GrandmaMoira Mon 10-Feb-20 13:44:13

I'm in my late 60s so know I am old but am fit and active. With the pension age at 66 I don't think anyone under that should be considered old.
My DGDs think I am very, very old but, when I explained that the Queen's children are older than me, they had to agree that I am not that old yet. I feel I can't be really elderly when people old enough to be my parents are still alive.
The NHS geriatric medicine/care of the elderly is for over 75s so that could possibly be counted as when old age starts.

Musicgirl Mon 10-Feb-20 13:45:29

Oh, just remembered, we have friends who are both about to have their sixtieth birthdays but they have taken early retirement and have more in common with people decades older. Their home reflects this even down to the antimacassars on the upright wooden armed chairs and settee. They have sheets and blankets rather than a duvet and one of the guest beds actually has a candlewick bedspread. They had a new bathroom last year, taking out the bath (sensible; it's a small room) and replacing it with a shower with a fold up seat for when they are older. They are lovely, kind people but it is like being in the presence of my grandparents, all of whom were elderly at fifty and old by sixty.

Daisymae Mon 10-Feb-20 13:47:59

I'm thinking that 70 is old and 80 is elderly. However that's not the same as being active and engaged.

Tweedle24 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:05:19

I remember being told by a geriatrician, when I was nursing, that a very small percentage of ‘old’ people are in care and/or are disabled but, those we met as patients coloured our perceptions of the elderly. The greater percentage of those deemed ‘old’ are living in their own homes and live fully independent lives.

Now I am in that category myself (I am 76), and am secretary of a large branch of an organisation for retired people, I can see for myself that this is true.

Most of the people in that group lead very busy lives volunteering, looking after grandchildren (and great grandchildren), and generally being extremely active. Quite a few of them are in their 80s and a number in their 90s.

So much depends on general health but, I believe attitude to life plays a large part.

GrannyBeek Mon 10-Feb-20 14:33:22

My daughter is a nurse. She sees lots of people the same age as me and her dad (69 and 76). She comes home and tells us how much younger we seem than them (and not just because they are ill). I'll take that!

Nanny41 Mon 10-Feb-20 14:41:41

Old is just a number. I am 78 and fit and active thank goodness, love latest technology once its explained.I travel a lot, and my Daughter happily answered someone when asked if I am allright travelling at " my age" she said "my Mum is a Globetrotter" enough said.

Mollyplop Mon 10-Feb-20 14:42:31

Polnan sending you a big hug xxx

Grannybags Mon 10-Feb-20 14:45:40

As others have said age is just a number.

My Aunty used to play the piano "for the old dears" in a nearby Nursing Home when she was in her late eighties.

My Mum learnt to use a mobile phone when she was 90

I'm hoping I've inherited their genes!

Foxyferret Mon 10-Feb-20 14:46:49

My mother is 94 next week and has many ailments but still runs her home with no help apart from gardener and window cleaner. She does her own washing, gets meals and keeps her house clean although gets frustrated that it takes her twice as long to do anything. I said well things slow down when you get old and she said what do you mean, old? She has arthritis, polymyalgia, varicose veins and weighs 5stone 2lbs. Not sure how long she will go on but I do admire her spirit.

Seefah Mon 10-Feb-20 15:07:55

I like my friends saying ‘ you’re only old when all you can eat is yoghurt’ grin

AGAA4 Mon 10-Feb-20 15:24:58

I read that there are 3 ages of oldness: 65-75 is young old. 75-85 is old and over 85 is very old! I don't worry about my age at all. What does it matter what age you are as long as you still enjoy your life even if it isn't as active as it once was. It does have benefits such as a bus pass and playing the old card if you make a mistake!

Conni7 Mon 10-Feb-20 15:40:25

Ten years older than me! I was described as an elderly multiple when I had my third child at 35.

Billybob4491 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:16:51

I don't feel that old but am aware that I seem to bring my bedtime forward!

Cambia Mon 10-Feb-20 16:28:22

Old age is always ten years older than you are!

TrendyNannie6 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:35:21

I would describe anyone over 80 as elderly but of course it really depends how you feel, once illnesses creep in you can feel much older due to pain and worry, my granddaughter who is 4 was talking about older people, oh how old is old I asked 45 she said lol

mistymitts Mon 10-Feb-20 16:45:58

Keeping an open and enquiring mind helps to keep you young. Physically though, your body can let you down.

Jaffacake2 Mon 10-Feb-20 17:17:12

I think that feeling old is often a reflection of your mental and physical health and the journey you have had through life. A stressful and painful life can make you age maybe prematurely rather than someone who has felt love and security free of chronic illness.