Gransnet forums

AIBU

Any words or phrases that you can't stand?

(330 Posts)
Dinahmo Mon 10-Feb-20 18:05:23

An early phrase that I loathe is "can I get" but a more recent one is the word curate which is used in place of collect, or select etc. Recent examples:

The Guardian" the BBC's failure to curate some news event responsibly"

A description of someone's collection of china pig money boxes (once given away free) as being "carefully curated"

A delicatessen which provides "a perfectly curated picnic"

To my mind the misuse of the word devalues the work of museum and gallery curators.

Londonwifi Sat 14-Mar-20 19:47:56

Oh and when people say, “That was very fun!” NO. It was fun.

JaneyG Sat 14-Mar-20 20:50:26

Why must fashion writers always describe a white shirt as ‘crisp’? I’ve also seen a shirt described in a catalogue as ‘our crisp white shirt in softest cotton’, which makes no sense smile

MattJo Sat 14-Mar-20 21:02:01

Made up words - particularly commentators and athletes having medalled. Grrr. To me, I can't help wondering what they meddled with! (Even the spellcheck wants to substitute with modelled)

Wheniwasyourage Sun 15-Mar-20 22:00:32

Why is every preview described as "sneak"?

Why do so many weather presenters talk about "the overnight period" instead of "tonight", "tomorrow (or whenever) night" or just "overnight"?

CocoPops Mon 16-Mar-20 03:51:21

These seem to be popular phrases today but seem somewhat meaningless to me.
"What's not to like"
"Back in the day"
"It is what it is"
"I feel your pain"

Witzend Mon 16-Mar-20 09:35:18

‘kinda’ (recently seen elsewhere) as in, ‘I kinda feel like...’

Witzend Wed 25-Mar-20 09:27:40

peeps
kinda
gonna
sorta
They all make me want to e-slap whoever wrote them.
(Not that I ever do.)

Txquiltz Wed 25-Mar-20 09:32:45

Spend a penny....how gross!

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 10:08:28

It has been brought to my attention that "DILEMMA" is also on the HN "banned" list, now. wink

Alishka Wed 25-Mar-20 10:19:24

Txquiltz along with spend a penny, how about "go potty"? Actually, I might go potty if the self isolation drags on, but that's not what they meantwinkgrin

Calendargirl Wed 25-Mar-20 10:21:47

I think that after all this;

Self isolate
Social distancing

We’ll all be glad not to have to use those phrases.

GardenerGran Wed 25-Mar-20 10:23:56

Bored of
It is what it is

Wheniwasyourage Wed 25-Mar-20 12:53:13

Spend a penny made sense at one time, but I don't suppose the young would understand it!

Dinahmo Wed 25-Mar-20 15:02:09

Last time I went to the loo in Harrods, maybe 35 years ago it cost £1 unless you had a receipt from the cafeteria.

At one time, when I lived and worked in London I knew where the loos were in all the department stores in the West End and Knightsbridge. Sadly, some of them have been closed for a long time.

TerriBull Wed 25-Mar-20 15:34:06

"Oh my days!" what does it mean???? one of my sons came home from school well over 15 years uttering it, now I hear it all over the place.

Occasionally I feel the need to come out with well loathed expressions even though I think they're rubbish, back in the day, I often come out with that one, awful innit blush

My kids their partners and grown up grandchildren are all of the "Hi guys" and "can I get" when we are out eating or drinking, the latter always makes my husband and I suppress snorts and hope they are duly impressed when "the olds" that's us, order whatever with a "please can I have"..........but alas they're not!

sodapop Wed 25-Mar-20 15:47:08

I agree whenIwasyourage often when its written down its 'sneak peak' no its a peek.

I feel the same way about 'lurker' N&G wonder why that is ?

Jabberwok Wed 25-Mar-20 19:03:10

Perhaps this has already mentioned! Saying sat instead of sitting. Grrrrrr!

Alishka Thu 26-Mar-20 11:17:47

Oh, the loos in Harrods! The lady in charge used to wipe the rim, sniff, then spray with perfume when you came outgrin

sodapop Thu 26-Mar-20 12:34:04

I remember those days in Harrods too. Afternoon tea there such a treat.

Omits01 Fri 27-Mar-20 07:23:56

Ooooh Myyyy God,

Stunning (on TV docu's) where beautiful will do,

Iconic. It appears everything is iconic now so nothing is! PS I am an iconic Human.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 27-Mar-20 12:31:31

Birthing. I didn't birth my DC, I gave birth to them or they were born. And where did 'birthing partner' come from? As I remember it, I did the work, with the support of the midwives and the medical staff, and my DH was also in a support role, but his 'partner' bit was 9 months earlier!

There are so many good/terrible examples here!

Alexa Fri 27-Mar-20 14:23:29

"back in " as in "back in 1939".

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 14:24:50

Coronavirus

TerriBull Fri 27-Mar-20 20:16:11

I'm always puzzled by "on my period" as opposed to having my period surely!, also instead of when I became pregnant or conceived so and so, "when I fell for my whoever" confused

Jabberwok Sat 28-Mar-20 10:57:27

Passed over or passed away! Actually the subject has died!