Gransnet forums

AIBU

HOW do I self isolate?

(49 Posts)
Bbarb Mon 16-Mar-20 16:35:32

Thinking to be 'sensible' (and being 81) I thought it best to shop online this week and get a delivery, so I logged in to my nearest store which happens to be Asda. No delivery slots available.
No slots available for the next 4 weeks!
Its the same for Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Iceland.
What are we supposed to do?

Guineagirl Thu 19-Mar-20 12:20:26

Do you have any younger neighbours Bharb? Times like these good neighbours help. I would help although Won’t be helping mine he’s a nasty old man and was hoping to sell and move from him

fevertree Thu 19-Mar-20 11:01:29

What about joining a local organic box delivery service - they usually include meat and fresh veg.

Also, my daughter bought essentials in an Asian supermarket near her work - it was well stocked. No problem.

craftyone Thu 19-Mar-20 10:36:32

yes witzend. I had the call today, kind thought I know but I am the one who can and does do allsorts, yesterday was using a jigsaw to enable me to fasten a piece of marine ply to a wall so I could fasten a lean to greenhouse, which I will build from a kit. I stocked up for this pandemic well in advance because I have a brain and could see what would happen

I hate that look, when 30 year olds cannot see past outward appearances of age. I bet she just floats around with a duster and leaves maintenance to her over 70 dad and has a loaf and a packet of soup in her own house

Alexa Thu 19-Mar-20 09:07:17

Dogs usually enjoy potatoes, and pasta, especially if flavoured with olive oil and or gravy/ stock cube/marmite. True, not protein but needs must.

BTW chappattis (sp) are easy to make.

MOnica, I was thinking of using my KETER plastic garden chest thing for that. Did you use gloss paint for "DELIVERIES" ?

Nanabanana1 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:32:39

I had my Tesco order delivered yesterday, half of it missing, no chicken, minced beef, etc, no dog food or dog biscuits, I will now have to go out or the dog will starve.
Have been trying to self isolate.?

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 08:17:51

I do it anyway as my postman/the Hermes courier often comes before I am up!
#slutshamed

Last night I put out two more lidded boxes with a note to the Waitrose delivery person to transfer my shopping (due 8-9 this morning) into them. Having just seen the number of unavailable items, I think one would have done blush

M0nica Thu 19-Mar-20 07:04:21

Just after I sent the post above I received an email from My Hermes suggesting we do exactly that.

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 16:50:45

We are going to leave a large plastic box with a lid on outside the door, lavelled 'Deliveries'

I am doing my best trying to set myselfup with everything I may need for house and garden and tokeep myself occupied before, the curfew begins, but I am bound to forget something and my fingers will be flying across the keys ordering all the forgotten items.

I am in the minimal contact rather than exclusion group so will go to an appropriate supermarket with an 'age 70+' hour once a week to stock up. Only Sainsburies and Iceland at present but I am sure that all the big chains will follow suit.

SallyB392 Wed 18-Mar-20 16:28:51

It may be worth looking in to your local milkman, and what They can deliver. You may be surprised!

Ailsa43 Wed 18-Mar-20 02:48:11

I had an email today from Sainsbury telling me that over 70's will be able to shop for the first hour of opening on Thursday march 19th, and asking that we who are under 70 years old understand this is necessary

I'm very pleased that is happening , but it also states, quote..

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible. end quote

Tesco 24 hour supermarkets have now started closing at 10pm and not reopening until 6am, to give them a chance to restock until the foreseeable
future . Apparently the staff will not lose any pay during this time...

millymouge Tue 17-Mar-20 15:54:54

Our local Iceland is opening 9 - 11 am tomorrow for seniors and vulnerable only. Let’s hope other supermarkets do the same.

AGAA4 Tue 17-Mar-20 15:50:51

Lemongrove. Just stay in and drink gin. You will be surprised how much less worried you will feel

Bbarb Tue 17-Mar-20 15:40:55

Hmm - I was assuming that if there was no tesco (or waitrose or other) store in town, I'd be unable to get a delivery from further field.
And thanks for all those tips regarding neighbourhood schemes - I'll have a play around with Facebook and see what comes up.
My daughter lives 200 miles away but phones up each evening which is nice of her, but I do feel she (and others like her) are more at risk than me. Hubby came home with a whole sack of potatoes last night from the farm shop - so we won't starve smile

MerylStreep Tue 17-Mar-20 12:03:59

Absolutely Wizend
I wish that some of them could see my OH racing his hotrod at SantaPod.
Then watch him remove a chimney on our bungalow, replace the soffit boards and then paint the whole outside.

Alexa Tue 17-Mar-20 11:19:48

Callgirl, have you a small table, maybe a patio set table, you could leave outside the door for the delivery men to put stuff on. This might help not to have to bend down to lift bags off ground level.

Alexa Tue 17-Mar-20 11:15:50

Good idea Nonnie. Get some ready cash for incidental expenses.

Alexa Tue 17-Mar-20 11:14:57

Callgirl, I agree . also I think carrier bags will make the work of the delivery man easier. Food delivery men are key workers and must be helped.

Have you cheap shopping trolleys you could leave outside for grocery and medication deliveries?

Blinko Tue 17-Mar-20 10:56:51

No symptoms, so I'm doing my own shopping still. Has anyone said we shouldn't?

Grammaretto Tue 17-Mar-20 10:50:40

Totally Witzend! I think the younger generation are having a little smirk that they can patronise us for a change.

At the other extreme, a dear young friend came rushing up this morning for a hug and when I said "steady on I'm in the danger zone", she seemed surprised and said "are you really going along with this?"

Now that pregnant women are also supposed to be in purdah...I wonder how that will pan out...

Yes Nonnie very true. Be extra careful though how are we supposed to get money out if we are sick? or think we might be too vulnerable to leave the house.

Don't pay anyone until we get the all clear?

Some in our town are offering to run errands too. That is nice.

Nonnie Tue 17-Mar-20 10:24:51

Just a suggestion, if you are going to accept help from someone you don't know, get some cash from a machine now so you will be able to pay them. Of course if you know the people you can pay then through online banking. We have given one of our credit cards to DS because that is easier!

Witzend Tue 17-Mar-20 10:17:44

I know it’s not an option for many, but I’ll probably start doing what I used to do quite a lot - go to the 24 hour supermarket after 10 pm - I’ve gone at 2 am in the past! - when there’s hardly anybody else there except the shelf stackers.
We’ve never done grocery shopping online and even if we wanted to, I gather that most of the shops are not accepting new online customers.

Off at a tangent here, but does anybody else get thoroughly peed off at the frequent portrayal of the over 70s (in this CV context on the news) as helpless, hapless poor old things, all bemused and frankly more than a bit clueless?

grannyactivist Tue 17-Mar-20 00:33:54

Bbarb hello. I'm guessing that you're in the North of the country as Booths is your local supermarket. If you're not on Facebook (where community pages will tell you where/how to get help) I suggest you either ring your local council or AgeUK and ask if there are any local organisations that will help with shopping.

My town has already marshalled its volunteers to 'run errands' and local shops, including a local butcher, the newsagent and Spar are offering to deliver. I'm sure there will be something similar where you are. smile

grannyactivist Tue 17-Mar-20 00:28:02

Hetty58 it is no longer the case that food delivery drivers will enter the house: drivers will no longer be permitted to enter homes under advice given by the Government to prevent the spread of cornonavirus.

Hetty58 Tue 17-Mar-20 00:12:37

Most of the supermarket deliveries come from distribution centres rather than your local store anyway. I think maybe Iceland is an exception as it seems to be the same drivers who deliver stuff bought instore.

Tesco drivers will put all the shopping in your kitchen if you ask them to.

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 00:04:21

Shall I go for a walk, or drink gin? Shall I drink gin and then go for a walk ( I may fall over the stile) or go for a walk and then drink gin? Or shall I go for a walk and drink gin whilst out walking? So many possibilities.?