Gransnet forums

AIBU

Stay put or travel home on a 24 hour ferry

(23 Posts)
Framilode Wed 18-Mar-20 21:24:34

I don't think you have much choice. Unless you are a Spanish resident you have to leave the country in the next week.

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 21:01:45

I'm not gangin up, I've been out. I was making an observation based on posts.
I don't gang up

phoenix Wed 18-Mar-20 20:41:51

You say "I would want to understand what is being said by my medics" Your OP implies that you have been spending quite a few winters in Spain (please excuse me if I've got this wrong/misunderstood)

Have you learnt and used any Spanish during that time? I appreciate that medical terms might not have formed part of that, but hopefully you have got some Spanish by now, and you might find that the Spanish doctors (should you need them) might have better English than you think.

GagaJo Wed 18-Mar-20 20:25:14

Ganging up ladies?

Yes I'm delighted to be home. GS and I are having a love-in.

Doesn't alter the fact the NHS lags way behind much of Europe.

I don't see how the two topics are linked personally. But don't let that stop you.

MerylStreep Wed 18-Mar-20 20:14:44

Well said Callistamon There's nowhere like home, is there, when the proverbial hits the fan. ?

Calendargirl Wed 18-Mar-20 15:03:17

Agree Callistemon your comment about Gagajo, not many days ago she was writing about how thrilled she was to get back here to spend time with gc.
Soon back to same old gripes, same old gripes.

GagaJo Wed 18-Mar-20 14:56:53

Callistemon. I have used the NHS in Spain and the UK. The care in Spain is better because it’s better funded. Sorry, but that’s a fact.

The UK is better than the US, but compared to some European countries it is very lacking. No nhs in Switzerland. I’ve paid £700 for 3 months private healthcare subscription.

ValerieF Wed 18-Mar-20 14:48:05

Only you and your husband can make the decision kentmaid. I think I am inclined to agree with your son, however. Schools closing this week, shops bare, people panicking and it isn't even nice weather! The problem is, nobody actually knows how long you would need to be in exile for? Hope you make the right decision for you.

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 14:31:35

Welshwoman is correct about Brittany ferries, but I think the Santander boat, if that is how you intend to travel, is taking passengers, but you have to stay in your cabin for the whole journey.

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 14:22:28

You never fail to put down everything about the UK Gagjo. Why did you not stay in Switzerland? I'm sure the healthcare there is second to none.

Having seen a hysterical Spanish doctor on TV on the news here, screaming at people to stay away from hospital and seeing the elderly Spanish woman gasping for breath in the car park of the hospital where her DH had just died, tended by her children because the hospital refused to admit her, I would rather be here.

kentmaid only you can make the decision unless there is no travel allowed but stay safe and try to keep away from others.

The situation in Spain looks terrible but that could be everywhere before long.
I feel sorry for anyone in the medical profession everywhere.

Cambia Wed 18-Mar-20 14:14:40

We are in Crete. Very low risk in our rural area and we were supposed to stay until the end of April. We know we are safer here probably than the UK but worry about my mum in the UK. We also feel that we need to head home to offer moral support to our family who are beginning to feel the pressure. So we have booked flights home on Tuesday and are crossing our fingers that we get home ok. Just feel better being nearer our family.

Hetty58 Tue 17-Mar-20 19:31:38

I think you'd put yourselves at risk just by travelling so I'd stay put. Our NHS will be overwhelmed shortly and you may be safer where you are.

rosenoir Tue 17-Mar-20 19:01:17

I can understand your desire to come home but if it were me I would stay put. It is chaos here at the moment and you will put yourself at risk on the journey home.

GagaJo Tue 17-Mar-20 18:09:23

I’d trust the Spanish nhs before the British. Although things there are currently worse than the uk I hear. But I’m sure we’ll catch up.

MerylStreep Tue 17-Mar-20 17:25:57

Kentmaid
We would have been in the same situation as you ( with the motohome) if commitments hadn't stopped us.
Are you towing the caravan back or leaving it on site?
If I was towing it back I would drive up to the Calais or Dunkirk. Less time on a ferry.

Welshwife Tue 17-Mar-20 17:09:48

If you intend to travel back to U.K. check all the ferry sites - Brittany Ferries have more or less suspended their crossings ( except for freight) for a couple of weeks. The Dover carriers still seem to be operating but with a reduced service so you need to check.

annodomini Tue 17-Mar-20 16:41:39

I think you might be at least as well off to stay in Spain - they might have enough respirators there!

Welshwife Tue 17-Mar-20 16:29:45

I would stay - the European hospitals are all very good and many of the staff speak some English if not fluently. Spain is further along the road as it were than the U.K. so you would maybe be out of danger sooner.
In the end you have to decide yourselves by whatever criteria you like to use.
Living permenantly in France it will be longer than I thought before I see my family again - but by the same token members of my family who all live in Uk will not be able to see each other exactly when they want to with the isolation.
Many of the ferries have been cancelled but so far the tunnel is working and you would be less likely to be infected on there than aferry crossing. There is no food or drink available I understand though, so whichever route you take - should you decide to travel - you need to be totally self sufficient.

M0nica Tue 17-Mar-20 15:31:20

Come home. We were in our holiday home in France until this time last week. Ours is a big roomy house and large garden, so staying there would be no penance, but we are really glad we came home. We are now dealing with an unfamiliar world in familiar circumstances. I would come home without a thought.

grannyactivist Tue 17-Mar-20 15:31:04

I would be absolutely torn if I were in your circumstances, but on balance I think you will be safer staying where you are bearing in mind the prevalence of the virus in Spain and that you will be having to mix with people in order to travel home. The reality is that you are probably far less likely to contract the virus where you are than if you come home.

Septimia Tue 17-Mar-20 15:24:01

I'd come home too.

We have a holiday booked in another part of the UK, but I intend to cancel. If I (or DH) was taken ill, I wouldn't want to be away from home and I wouldn't want to add to the strain on the health services and perhaps put a local person at risk.

Calendargirl Tue 17-Mar-20 15:18:37

Personally, I would come home. As Dorothy said in the Wizard of Oz,
“There’s no place like home”.

kentmaid Tue 17-Mar-20 15:13:16

DH and I spend our winters in our caravan in southern Spain. We have a great international community of friends here. It’s in a national park within walking distance of some beaches. A perfect place to get away from the English winter.
Most stay until St Patrick’s Day for one last social event. We are booked to catch a ferry next Tuesday morning.
Our site is closed to newcomers. Our Covid-19 risk is pretty low. We are confined to the site except to shop for food or get medical help. It’s officially designated a desert so not much rain.
Here’s my dilemma. Do we listen to our son back home and “Stay put - listen to your son for once!” Friends say the same. DH would be happy to stay on indefinitely. As long as we pay the rent, the site owners will let us stay.
I want to come home. AIBU?
If I did succumb to Covid-19, I would rather be at home where I would understand what is being said by my medics. I love my one-room plastic bed-sit here but I’m ready to enjoy my garden.
What would you do?