Gransnet forums

AIBU

.....to even think scammers would g[angry][sad]ive us a break? WARNING!

(19 Posts)
fourormore Sat 21-Mar-20 11:23:31

Sorry this is long but it's IMPORTANT
We have been saved from picking up over 200 nuisance calls since we bought a call interceptor. Gradually the number of attempts have reduced but we have noticed over the past couple of weeks that many more attempts have been made.
Please, please, please all Gransnetters - do not answer your phone to any unrecognised numbers. It would appear these b**** are cashing in on the elderly and lonely being at home and probably alone.
We have had 4 unsuccessful attempts in less than 2hrs this morning - 2 from a Scottish code 01557 and 1 from a Welsh code 01559.
The last one from 01552 is an unallocated code.
Any doubts over numbers can be checked on
who-called.co.uk/
Please I know we are going to be prone to loneliness but please don't entertain these morons as they will reel you in and scam you angrysadangrysadangrysad
Keep safe not only healthwise but also financially!

MawB Sat 21-Mar-20 11:26:06

I think that the scammers know that the over 70’s are stuck indoors and are even more of a tempting target. Factor in the general feelings of worry, possibly loneliness, anxiety - yes we are probably sitting ducks ? ? ?

fourormore Sat 21-Mar-20 11:27:46

Exactly MawB keep safe! flowers

NanTheWiser Sat 21-Mar-20 11:46:15

Yes, I've had a few scam calls in the last few days - Microsoft and BT in particular. Told one this morning to f. Off!

GrannySomerset Sat 21-Mar-20 11:50:06

No longer answer any number I don’t recognise. Saves quite a lot of trouble.

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 11:52:12

They'll get a mouthful from me----knowing my luck it'll be someone genuine grin and definitely won't ring again anyway. I can be a bit too impetuous at times.

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 11:54:56

There are some evil-minded people about though and you have to have your wits about you especially in times like this.

Auntieflo Sat 21-Mar-20 11:56:01

We have the system that, unless a number is 'plumbed' into your phone, it will ask you to announce yourself.
Since we have had this, we do not get nuisance calls, unless of course, the caller decides to announce their name.
Sometimes this is so garbled, that you do not recognise it, but we then hang up.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 11:57:02

Come to think of it, we've had more over the last week.

Just how low can some people sink?

glammanana Sat 21-Mar-20 11:57:04

Scamming warnings given out again on Martin Lewis programme on 19/3/20 at 8pm that people are being rung to advise that Banks are asking you to change Banks and that they will help you do it.
Don't be taken in by this SCAM.Please be careful everyone.

Trisha57 Sun 22-Mar-20 18:04:16

We also have the system where, the first time a number calls us, they have to announce who they are. We warned our family and friends that this would be the case and, since we installed it, it has stopped 99% of cold calls etc. I don't know what it's called, but it's completely free and really helps.

Trisha57 Sun 22-Mar-20 18:05:10

Just to add, once the caller announces themselves, if you accept the call they are not asked to do it every time they call in future.

Bellanonna Sun 22-Mar-20 19:21:50

Auntieflo could you tell me what the system is called, please?

Happygirl79 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:49:25

I would be interested to know what this system is called too?

ValerieF Sun 22-Mar-20 22:03:24

Scammers will never give anyone a break! In fact scammers are upping their game! We all need to keep our wits about us at all times. Just hang up! IF you don't call them yourself assume they are all scams.

Auntieflo Sun 22-Mar-20 22:13:01

Bellanonna, we have the BT8610 Advanced Call Blocker, and have had it since June 2017. There may be a more updated system now, but we have been pleased with it.

Bellanonna Sun 22-Mar-20 22:14:25

Many thanks Auntieflo. I’ll definitely look into it.

Trisha57 Wed 25-Mar-20 08:56:57

Just asked OH what the system was. It's available via TalkTalk and is called CallSafe. I think other providers havesimlar systems

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 09:24:05

We have the same BT set up as Auntieflo. A list of friends and family is monitored as calls we will accept. We had this installed a few years ago and no scamming calls since.

I bought ours from Amazon and easily set up at home.