Gransnet forums

AIBU

Prince Charles ,diagnosed with Coronavirus

(277 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 25-Mar-20 10:52:18

Just been announced that PC has been diagnosed with Coronavirus,
AIBU to hope he will receive some empathy from the general public.

maddyone Tue 31-Mar-20 00:03:34

It’s such a new virus that even the scientists don’t know with certainly. However I also read very recently that it is believed that the amount of virus may determine how badly someone gets ill, just as BlueBelle says. But then there’s the age of the person, the general health of the person pre contracting the virus, the gender of the person, as more men get ill and die with it. There appears to be a lot of variables, which is why it’s confusing. Plus I understand symptoms can begin any time from two days to fourteen days after exposure, which must be where the fourteen days isolation comes from, which explains why Camilla is still isolating, but Charles is not because he’s now more than seven days after initial symptoms.
Have I got that right? If I haven’t I’m still confused.

Chestnut Mon 30-Mar-20 23:30:16

BlueBelle I posted that on another thread. It makes sense to me too. Just a few weak old viruses on a handle might give a mild dose (rather like a vaccination!) but a full blown sufferer coughing in your face gives you a much bigger viral load and your body has too much to cope with at once.

I hope it's true because it gives us more incentive to keep things clean and reduce the viral load if we get it. However, there is another factor which is that there are several mutations of the virus and some are much nastier than others. Maybe it depends on which mutation you catch. No-one can be really sure I'm afraid.

BlueBelle Mon 30-Mar-20 21:32:59

I read where they believe the amount of droplets is the reason some people get it mildly and others die from it So put simply if you are in the company of one person who has Corvid you will not get it as severely as if you are in a group of sufferers
That seems to make sense to me there’s got to be a reason some people die from it and others like our friend Boris and Prince Charles just get a light dose

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Mar-20 20:41:15

No, not an exact science as its a new virus, but these are Public Health guidelines.

Pikachu Mon 30-Mar-20 20:31:23

I don’t think it’s an exact science. The retired doctor who returned to help and died at the weekend had been ill for four weeks. His family couldn’t say goodbye because of the risk of infection so presumably he was still infectious.

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Mar-20 20:13:22

My understanding is 7 days from the onset of cough and /or fever.

annep1 Mon 30-Mar-20 20:11:24

Oh er yes, I see that now. Are you infectious for 7 or 14 days.l? Still not clear .

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 20:08:58

If you do develop symptoms then you will be infectious for 14 days and have to stay further isolated for that time.

you are no longer capable of 'shedding' (passing it on) after 7 days of symptoms, at least that is the current advice.

I am sorry, I am still confused, perhaps it's me.

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Mar-20 20:01:23

There is a period of several days between being exposed to the virus and developing symptoms. Seven days from developing symptoms (or a positive test) as long as the fever has subsided is considered enough. The fourteen days quarantine for contacts gives them time to potentially incubate and develop the illness.

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 19:51:30

So do I understand this correctly, that a positive test means you’re infectious for seven days? If you develop symptoms you’re infectious for 14 days? No, I’m afraid I’m confused

Me too, maddyone

Witzend Mon 30-Mar-20 19:49:51

Granny23, a lot of doctors work for both NHS and private. A few years ago dh and I both developed what we thought might be skin cancer, esp. since we’d both lived in very hot climates for many years.

Dh arranged a private appt. - he still had insurance through his job. I went to the GP, was quickly referred - and saw exactly the same consultant as dh, but 10 days sooner!
(Neither of our weird things were malignant, BTW.)

merlotgran Mon 30-Mar-20 19:32:25

Thanks, B9exchange

It seems Prince Charles felt unwell while at Highgrove which means he was already showing symptoms before travelling to Scotland. A bit naughty but I suppose they wanted to spirit him away before announcing it.

maddyone Mon 30-Mar-20 19:28:12

I imagine Prince Charles will be pretty isolated anyway up at Birkhall. He won’t be seeing Camilla as she has to remain isolated. He will see his staff though. So do I understand this correctly, that a positive test means you’re infectious for seven days? If you develop symptoms you’re infectious for 14 days? No, I’m afraid I’m confused confused

annep1 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:04:06

Thanks for clarifying that B9exchange

B9exchange Mon 30-Mar-20 13:58:46

Takes up to 14 days incubation before you get it, you are no longer capable of 'shedding' (passing it on) after 7 days of symptoms, at least that is the current advice. So if in contact with someone you have to self isolate for 14 days to see if you are going to develop it. If no symptoms after 14 days you can consider that you have escaped. If you do develop symptoms then you will be infectious for 14 days and have to stay further isolated for that time.

merlotgran Mon 30-Mar-20 13:52:30

Apparently PC is now out of isolation after seven days. I thought it had to be longer than that?

Camilla is having to self-isolate until the end of the week.

Granny23 Fri 27-Mar-20 16:13:19

I have no objection to those who can afford it paying for Private Health Care, Takes some of the pressure off the NHS. It is not as if there would be more Doctors available if private health care were banned here, because the professionals who are in it for the money would simply take their prized medical skills abroad. However I do have a problem with politicians who make the rules regarding the NHS and State Education, when they and their families are not dependent on these services.

Anniebach Fri 27-Mar-20 12:37:38

merlot I spoke of bedrooms as an example of we do not all have the same in life, never have, never will, I was not bickering .

Recently I encouraged my younger daughter to have private
health care, waiting weeks to find out if she had cancer ,paying
meant she waited 4 days. Should I have said ‘certainly not ,think of many who can’t afford it ?

Listening to John Humphrys reading his book on his time with ‘Today’, he spoke of Dennis Healey being angry about being asked about his wife being treated in a private hospital.

Wonder how many would refuse to pay for private health because others can’t afford to

Bridgeit Fri 27-Mar-20 12:35:50

??

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 12:35:36

Dear Mum, sorry!
and I did love my Dad dearly, he was very caring

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 12:34:55

I meant to add a grin for you Bridgeit

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 12:34:21

The problem is that we have all arrived here as dear little babies due to the impulses of our parents.
I blame my mum for not marrying a King

Bridgeit Fri 27-Mar-20 12:27:28

Merlotgran, Can I just mention my one & only bedroom needs a good clean?

merlotgran Fri 27-Mar-20 12:22:30

FFS. The world's going to hell in a handcart.

Stop bickering about bloody bedrooms...….Please?

Bridgeit Fri 27-Mar-20 12:19:27

It is an historical transaction, they ((RF) like every other family have inherited their backgrounds & circumstances , when two folks of any background procreate ,they bring those children into the that situation.
The irony is that the General Public would not be better of with out them, but many would loose their jobs & livelihoods.