Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think that perhaps we should be more tolerant of fellow posters?

(254 Posts)
fourormore Wed 25-Mar-20 19:22:30

I have just read a thread where a person has told a previous poster that they 'sound like a six year old'
I won't go into details of that particular thread, but none of us really know how others are feeling. There have been several comments on other threads slamming people down.
We are going through a very strange period of history at the moment and I'm sure many Gnetters are scared, alone and feeling vulnerable.
Some I'm sure are coping well, others not so well.
Feelings can easily be hurt, so please, let's all think twice and perhaps, if we can't say something nice say nothing at all?

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 22:15:51

Sorry, that was in response to Baggs

paddyanne Wed 25-Mar-20 22:56:17

I am and have always been a republican the very existence of a monarchy enrages me in this vastly unequal world.I am as entitled to my opinion as everyone else is .The Charles nonsense today made my blood boil.He quite honestly should have been put back on the plane and sent back where he came from. Its not as if he'd be homeless or forced to live in cramped conditions . I make no apologies for my views .If you dont like them scroll on past .

MissAdventure Wed 25-Mar-20 23:07:09

I really enjoy reading your views, paddy.
Sometimes I agree, sometimes not, but your take on things is always interesting.

Grannyflower Thu 26-Mar-20 03:27:31

I’ve been a lurker for quite sometime, posted only a handful of times. I turn to GN for sage advice for the most part but agree that some people are very unkind. I speak from personal experience on here. Please by all means have your own opinion but think twice before replying as to whether you are causing upset or offence. Thank you and love and kindness to you all.

Ohmother Thu 26-Mar-20 05:29:40

I agree

And sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

Without attack.

Love to all in these difficult times. ❤️

May7 Thu 26-Mar-20 07:49:21

It's never nice to personally attack anyone be it verbally or otherwise and I agree some posters can be very unkind. It's really their shame to own. There are always 2 sides to a story and I am interested in listening to both but also feel its correct to call someone out if they are IMO being rude/unreasonable etc. A cheeky Grandad springs to mind

travelsafar Thu 26-Mar-20 07:54:12

Totally agree. Several times i have felt upset at the posts that others put on to my OP. Its hurtful and unkind. Just stop it and like the saying, 'think before you speak', 'think before you post'. smile

Curlywhirly Thu 26-Mar-20 08:08:30

I also agree. Some of the attacks, if directed at me, would have had me in tears (luckily it hasn't happened to me). Fortunately I don't comment on many of the 'serious' threads, and when I do, I always keep it polite. I just think it's a case of not what you say, but the way you say it; disagree by all means, but it does not have to be nasty.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:51:11

baggs is right when she says that slamming an argument down is within the rules becoming personal is not.

Those are the rules I try to keep to. So for example I may say something about a particular policy that I agree/disagree with. Someone may reply give evidence as to why my argument is incorrect. Splendid stuff!

But invariably I get something along the lines “ oh you always support so and so” or “ your left wing views are rubbish” or something even more personal and unpleasant
Unacceptable and sterile.

There are some posters style that I find unpleasant and tedious, but I think we all find that, it is the way we as humans function, but I would hope that that does not give me permission to say so. That would be ignorant and rude.

Sparklefizz Thu 26-Mar-20 10:08:59

Whatever our opinions, let's be kind.

Teetime Thu 26-Mar-20 10:10:56

I agree. Sometimes I dont come on here for days as it gets so nasty and I dont need the negative vibes.

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 10:12:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:14:23

I think baggs would agree with me, that we have both been on GN for yonks. We both come from different ends of the political spectrum (I don’t mean extreme), we have clashed swords infrequently, but I honestly can stay that it has never ever been personal.

That’s how it should be. I respect baggs for her qualities but disagree vehemently with some if her views, as she does mine.

The way forward folks!

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 10:14:33

millymouge Thu 26-Mar-20 10:14:55

I agree

twinnytwin Thu 26-Mar-20 10:19:28

I agree. I've only been following GN for a short time but I've got to recognise some names and now know the stance they are going to take time and time again, and those who can be, to be honest, so rude to others. I've been shocked by the vitriolic comments sometimes. I've read the rules and realise that debate on a subject is indeed expected and can be informative but personal attacks and rudeness shouldn't be.

Urmstongran Thu 26-Mar-20 10:20:46

I too like your posts paddyanne. Your views are different to mine but they always interest me.
?

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 10:21:44

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 10:22:54

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 10:23:19

MawB Thu 26-Mar-20 10:23:42

If the cap ? fits......

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 10:26:45

grandMattie Thu 26-Mar-20 10:27:15

I agree. But I believe some posters are deliberately stirring things up... there are people like that!

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 10:27:16

No emoji? grin

Sparklefizz Thu 26-Mar-20 10:28:58

Teetime I agree. Sometimes I dont come on here for days as it gets so nasty and I dont need the negative vibes

That's exactly my view, Teetime. Life is too short to read posts where someone is shouting in capital letters. Their fury jumps off my screen.