Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think that perhaps we should be more tolerant of fellow posters?

(254 Posts)
fourormore Wed 25-Mar-20 19:22:30

I have just read a thread where a person has told a previous poster that they 'sound like a six year old'
I won't go into details of that particular thread, but none of us really know how others are feeling. There have been several comments on other threads slamming people down.
We are going through a very strange period of history at the moment and I'm sure many Gnetters are scared, alone and feeling vulnerable.
Some I'm sure are coping well, others not so well.
Feelings can easily be hurt, so please, let's all think twice and perhaps, if we can't say something nice say nothing at all?

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 12:13:37

I never thought I'd live here one day, not near Bala though, May7

May7 Sun 29-Mar-20 12:12:15

Callistemon
Don’t go now will you the road to Bala is blocked!

Not unusual really because it inevitably is at the start of the holiday season anyway

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 11:56:46

Anniebach I remember coming over to Wales in about 1968 (our belated honeymoon I think) and the Welsh Nationalists had turned all the signposts round at crossroads. We saw some lovely unexpected places.

Chewbacca Sun 29-Mar-20 11:56:24

That's because you've had one on one tuition Callistemon! grin

Chewbacca Sun 29-Mar-20 11:54:47

Here's another:

paddy whacker
A policeman's truncheon or baton. Arose from the fact that the Irish were generally on the wrong side on the law in the New World and as such were often on the wrong end of the paddy whacker.
The policeman subdued the miscreant with his paddy whacker.

Urban dictionary

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 11:54:45

Chewbacca grin

ps I can say that!
And I can even say Burrr .... gurrr King too!

Auto correct keeps changing that to Burrr ... Gerry King

GrannyLaine Sun 29-Mar-20 11:03:08

Thanks Elegran
It seems there are many interpretations of the origin of the expression. The one about unruly teens probably fits with what I grew up believing

Elegran Sun 29-Mar-20 10:55:21

And www.policeone.com/national-law-enforcement-museum/articles/avoid-the-paddy-wagon-this-st-patricks-day-snC4NkSsxiW18QOq/

Elegran Sun 29-Mar-20 10:52:54

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=paddy%20wagon

GrannyLaine Sun 29-Mar-20 10:23:36

harrigran , I've always thought that was the context of paddy wagon ie used to pick up people having a fight or 'paddy' It never occurred to me there was any Irish connection

Kalu Sun 29-Mar-20 10:21:01

Thanks for giving me a hearty laugh this morning Chewy?? especially Burger King???. I love a good joke, problem is I can never remember them or I start to tell one and forget the punchline??‍♀️

Oh that will work Marydoll! Your DH will have to plank the crème eggs otherwise you know where they are. Sneaky besom right enough Ha!?

Chewbacca Sun 29-Mar-20 10:18:41

Glad it made you smile Annie smile. There's more than enough to be worrying about at the moment without us taking umbrage where none was intended.

harrigran Sun 29-Mar-20 10:18:26

Where I live a 'paddy' is a temper tantrum.

Anniebach Sun 29-Mar-20 10:14:18

I loved it Chewy

Reminds me when the Welsh Nationalists were taking down
sign posts. I was out walking with two friends , a car pulled up
and a very irate driver said ‘cutting down your bloody sign posts , I don’t know where I am’ , my friend said ‘lost’.

timetogo2016 Sun 29-Mar-20 10:10:09

I agree.
With all that`s going on in the world you would think people could at least try to be nice.

Marydoll Sun 29-Mar-20 10:03:02

To you too, Elegran.

Elegran Sun 29-Mar-20 09:57:43

History is being rewritten. Our hard-working, hard-drinking Irish ancestors who helped build the roads and canals of Britain and fought discrimination with their best tools - their fists - are being recast as New Age pacifists.

Peacer and love, brothers.

Chewbacca Sat 28-Mar-20 23:44:14

moon Marydoll wink

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 23:42:56

You are correct, Chewy, I am not just anyone, I am someone, I am Marydoll!. ?

Night, night.??????

Chewbacca Sat 28-Mar-20 23:39:31

Drat! I knew it would offend someone Marydoll! grin

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 23:36:07

☹️ Chewy, I'm afraid I will have to report your joke. You are portraying our lovely Welsh cousins in a bad light! ?

Chewbacca Sat 28-Mar-20 23:34:09

On a beautiful summer’s day, two English tourists were driving through Wales.

At Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch they stopped for lunch and one of the tourists asked the waitress: “Before we order, I wonder if you could settle an argument for us. Can you pronounce where we are, very, very, very slowly?”

The girl leaned over and said:

“Burrr… gurrr… King.”

Chewbacca Sat 28-Mar-20 23:30:46

Ok Callistemon, I'll do it for you! grin

A Welshman, Scot and Englishman are walking when they come across a lantern and a genie pops out and grants them one wish each.

The Scot says: “I am a sheep herder, like my dad before me. I want my country to be full of lovely sheep farms.” Whoosh, and so it was.

The Englishman was amazed and says: “I want a wall around England to keep those damned Scots and Welsh out.” Bang, there was a wall around England.

The Welshman says: “Tell me more about this wall.”

The genie says: “It’s 200 feet high, 100 feet thick, it goes all around England, and nothing can get in or out.”

The Welshman says: “Fill it with water.”

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 23:24:52

Yes

I would never ever make a joke about the Welsh (I know which side my bread's buttered)

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 23:22:32

Another theory is that Irishmen made up a large percentage of the officers of early police forces in many American cities. It suggests that the concentration of Irish in the police forces led to the term "paddy wagon" being used to describe the vehicles driven by police.

The word is in the Oxford dictionary and until recently was not deemed derogatory.