Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is anyone else becoming neurotic?

(332 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 26-Mar-20 10:31:17

We have just had a delivery of medicine from Boots and instead of keeping his distance the young lad who brought them leaned into the house and put them on the shelf by the front door. At that point he was less than 6 feet away from me. I have sprayed the area with bleach and washed my hands umpteen times but I still worry as I am a high risk.

I worry about food deliveries and handle them with disposable gloves and any other deliveries are put in the dining room for at least 72 hours. Even the post is viewed with suspicion.

Hetty58 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:59:08

I think it's normal in Japan to wear a mask if you have a cold.

Now, I'm thinking wearing one here could work well to keep others at a distance?

I'm sneezing a bit due to tree pollen allergy - that should repel people too!

M0nica Fri 03-Apr-20 13:46:53

I have been arguing for some time that one of the main reasons to wear a mask is to contain the nasal emissions of the mask user, either directly or by sneezing into one's elbow and then brushing it against shop fitments when reaching to get something off a high shelf and passing it on to others that way. I made my mask after sneezing twice a few weeks ago while doing my weekly shop.

I am not sure there is anything particularly Japanese about thinking that way. Surely that is the main reason why medical and surgical staff wear masks - to protect the patient?

In cases where the patient may pose a danger to the staff, obviously staff wear them to protect themselves, but except in exceptional times like now. The majority of masks are worn to protect the patient not vice versa.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:05:58

I mentioned the reverse theory - that you wear the mask to protect others, they wear it to protect you to my son. This is just his personal view of course but they go to Japan fairly frequently as they have Japanese friends (and it's not so far from Aus.) He said that is very much how the Japanese see it. It is in deference to others that they wear them, not to protect themselves. Does anyone have any insight into Japanese culture re facemasks?

Lizbethann55 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:44:07

I never really thought about being so very careful until I started reading all this. So, I have left the post for two days. Just opened it. One of the letters was off my psychotherapist ( I have been seeing him about suffering from fear of being in traffic and being overvigilent following a bad car crash nearly two years ago). It contained a lot of leaflets about living with worry and anxiety in times of global uncertainty. Oh , the irony!

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 23:29:05

The masks I used to wear (UK made), I could JUST manage to wear while exercising. It was hot but it was doable.

May7 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:51:43

That's the nature of a good filter the more it filters the more it reduces airflow. So bit ironic really when breathing is what you need to survive. So if Covid 19 doesnt get you oxygen starvation might. Just a thought

Hetty58 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:37:54

I used to wear a good filtered mask when cycling in traffic. Yes, it protected me from some traffic fumes (unbelievable black dirt on it after use) but it made breathing rather difficult!

GracesGranMK3 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:05:20

Listening to one programme (can't remember which) they were saying they are beginning to think masks may make some additional difference but not because it stops people getting the virus but because it stops those who wear them infecting others.

If this is true for it to work for you everyone else has to wear a mask to protect you. You wear one to protect others. Slightly counter-intuitive but makes sense when you think about it.

May7 Thu 02-Apr-20 21:59:30

Yes my thoughts as well. I've always been of the opinion that if they are not properly filtered masks then they are useless really. Backed up by DH who was used to wearing Breathing apparatus RPE. etc . However today I've changed my mind and I will wear one to go out shopping tomorrow just to keep people away from me. I feel at bit ridiculous but hey ho broad shoulders and all that. When I come in I'll wash it in soapy water . It will be dry by the time I go back out next week confused I might even write BACK AWAY on it. Maybe that's a step too far grin

Hetty58 Thu 02-Apr-20 21:42:24

Interesting May7. There are more people wearing masks around here in this last week.

I'm on the edge of London. Today, walking the dog on the green, a man crossed my path - at about five metres away. He suddenly stopped in his tracks and sneezed loudly.

As he was carrying two bags of shopping, he couldn't do the elbow thing. It worried me - as the breeze was coming my way. Holding my breath, I turned back!

Grandmafrench Thu 02-Apr-20 21:34:25

With advice and counter advice coming from all corners, and each day bringing some new do's or don'ts, I feel now that the only thing over which I have any real control - regarding my personal health and safety- is my home. That's where I feel safe and that's where my rules can apply. I feel I've read enough information about Covid 19 to last more than one lifetime - and the information just keeps coming. So, whatever precautions I take, I do that based on making myself feel safer and more comfortable. Everyone's view is going to be different.

For me, I don't feel that anything terribly complicated or expensive is involved, other than having access to hot soapy water, bleach and gloves - or poo bags. The only time now when my life at home is interrupted is if we go for a walk or if, every 10 days or so, we need to go to buy food. On those occasions (going into shops or where there will be other people), we both wear gloves and masks. Loads of others here in France do the same. I know that the jury is still out on the wearing of masks, but if nothing else it marks me out as someone who will not welcome anyone breaking the social distancing code or intruding in any way into my personal space. I feel better behind a mask and given the way that in every winter filthy people sneeze and cough and splutter their way around supermarkets without a care in the world and certainly without a single thought as to the effect of their germs on others, it surprises me that I haven't taken to using a mask and gloves years ago.

For us, anything that comes into the house, such as groceries or parcels or post, is opened outside. Paper and card and plastic is disposed of, tins and boxes etc., are wiped with a soapy cloth and allowed to dry before being taken inside and put away.

We have been asked specifically by our local Council that we put masks, gloves, tissues, wipes or anything used outside in public to shield ourselves, or for cleaning, into a separate bag, seal it and leave outside the house until it is time for the dustbin collection. We've been told that the bin men (or however they style themselves now) are becoming increasingly anxious about possibly being contaminated by such waste. So, another small thing we do to make them and ourselves feel better.

I'd really rather not bother with any of this. I'd really rather take the view - as many have said to me until recently - that "it's only a bit of flu, which will soon blow over". But since I can't, as I look at the figures for those who are dying needlessly every day, I am comforted a little by the thought that my home is as safe as I can make it and I do still have some say in making it that way.

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 21:28:34

thank you!

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 21:28:19

That is such a good point! Wear a mask to deliberately keep others away.

No, I don't think 2 metres is enough either. If you think about how smoke can drift/spread, cough or sneeze droplets MUST be able to spread further than they've said.

I wore a mask in China when the pollution was bad. I WISH I'd hung on to my masks. Can't get them here, now.

May7 Thu 02-Apr-20 21:26:20

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-52126735

This is what I read today gagajo

May7 Thu 02-Apr-20 21:22:12

I'll have a lookgagajo I think it was on the BBC. Were not used to seeing people in this country wearing masks are we? We seem to accept it as the norm from Asian countries because of air quality. My thoughts are and they are only my thoughts that if you see a European wearing a mask you give them a wide berth so with that in mind I'm wearing mine tomorrow when I go out shopping. Its not a proper filtered mask but it's a dust mask. TBH I just want people to steer clear of me I don't believe 2 metres is enough if I'm coughed or sneezed over.

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 21:14:41

Do you have a link May7?

It certainly is what my Chinese friend told me. Mask at all times you leave your house. She's managed not to be infected.

May7 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:52:20

I have read and heard also today that WHO have changed their advice on the wearing of masks in public??

sodapop Thu 02-Apr-20 17:33:34

Apparently some people here in France have been cleaning their dogs with bleach after they have been outside - unbelievable.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:32:07

I still think care should be taken in disseminating information that may not be reliable

Which is exactly why I said people should make their own minds up about the post Eloethan. If I had said nothing I could understand all this but I did make a specific comment. I doubt that anyone shares information deliberately to mislead others. Do some people just need to reprimand someone else at least once a day to keep their own sense of importance perhaps?

Hetty58 's post about my source is still there. If you can read it as pleasantly meant ... ... ...

This conversation has surely run its course and more now. If others wish to continue I cannot stop you but I will not be answering even the posts of those I usually hold in some regard. There are more important things in life than this.

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 16:43:32

Hetty freezer bags , thank you, thank you, thank you, I didn’t
think of that, it will be such a help x

Hetty58 Thu 02-Apr-20 15:44:38

Anniebach, bleach really irritates my skin. I tend to make a solution, add a cloth - then put my hands in large freezer bags to wring and use it.

Eloethan Thu 02-Apr-20 13:23:33

GracesgranMk3 I am not really well up on particular ongoing animosities between posters.

If Hetty58 's posts were personal digs at you then that is regrettable and I'm sorry if you feel you were being got at (though I can't say I noticed any rudeness but perhaps I missed some posts).

I still think care should be taken in disseminating information that may not be reliable.

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 13:22:57

GrannyLaine thank you. To lighten things up -

I challenge anyone to fold three fingers on both hands into
their palms and with a thumb and forefinger grip a bar of
soap ! I have manage to hit the kitchen window, the kitchen door, frighten my dog as the soap flies out of my hands .

I now understand - he/she is as slippery as a bar of soap ?

GrannyLaine Thu 02-Apr-20 13:13:58

Anniebach I believe that really good hand washing technique is more important than gloves.

Anniebach Thu 02-Apr-20 12:49:15

Any advice for someone who can’t wear gloves ,? bleach causes a rash