Gransnet forums

AIBU

neighbour

(13 Posts)
PenE Mon 30-Mar-20 20:40:08

Love your ideas.Will wait and see on what to do for now as it seems a small issue in current terms and DH has calmed down for now,

Laughterlines Mon 30-Mar-20 17:56:50

PENe or a blackthorn hedge instead of new fence. Order some now online and it will be established by the autumn when you remove old water damaged fence in time for bonfire night.

NanTheWiser Mon 30-Mar-20 17:43:20

M0nica beat me to it! What would happen if your fence fell down? (Which it might, with a ramshackle roof leaning on it). It sounds very unstable, and I don't blame your husband for being furious. Hopefully the council will take some sort of action.

jane1956 Mon 30-Mar-20 16:28:48

would hammer the nails back into their side.

M0nica Mon 30-Mar-20 15:39:33

As it is your fence, why not decide to renew the fence? That will mean taking it down. Whoops, nothing to support the roof. You could replace it with sturdy trellis and plant something thorny, like a rambling rose.grin

bingo12 Mon 30-Mar-20 15:25:43

They are not allowed to have any ''structure'' or part thereof overhanging your property without your written permission. In the future they may need access to this gutter by going onto your property. If you sell - buyer may not like it especially if it has been there for years and so has established itself as a precedent and it may affect the sale - although it seems a small thing.

glammanana Mon 30-Mar-20 13:24:09

Yes I would get a water butt to collect excess water,we water our back garden from a water butt at no cost at all to us.

Daisymae Mon 30-Mar-20 13:13:27

Can you not get a barrel and collect the rainwater?

beverly10 Mon 30-Mar-20 12:39:53

Penhe
I sympathise with you having had a similair problem won't bore you with the details .Your issue is what is seen by the law as a nuisance by the 'engineering' of your neighbours surface water, which should flow naturally from their property onto yours but by their actions is causing flooding or other problems on your property. Contact your citizens advice or see a solicitor.

PenE Mon 30-Mar-20 12:34:30

It isn't a proper extension . It is attached from their wall. basically a roof that has been lent on to the top of the fence.We said at first that as long as they put a proper guttering on that it was no bother (we were concerned bout water running straight on to our side wall and path), Well they bought gutter which doesn't appear to be attached to anything and the roofing has been attached with screws which stick out all the way along the side of the house.It isn't just one or two its loads!at least 60.The roof of the lean to is made from various scraps of an old shed. DH has sent email to council. He is still furious and wishes he hadn't been nice about it when it first went up.

oldgimmer1 Mon 30-Mar-20 12:18:52

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes&ved=2ahUKEwjEuIfhiMLoAhVSi1wKHVWKCCYQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw07Su70kupVs4G3DmV-s8pi

I tend to agree with BlueBelle. It may be something that's not worth getting het up about.

If you want to proceed, try following the advice in the above link. Best to stay as amicable as you can.

(As an aside, it may be worth checking that the extension was built with the required consents). wink.

BlueBelle Mon 30-Mar-20 12:13:19

I always try to be very lenient with neighbours because they are just that and in your life whether you like it or not
I can’t quite visualise the situation you are explaining but if it’s only two screws poking into your garden not sure that would be high on my list to get uptight about

PenE Mon 30-Mar-20 12:08:51

Months after our new neighbour moved in my husband went round to ask them to do something about the lean to they had erected from their wall which they had attached to our fence that had no guttering and would be draining straight into our garden. It was all done very civilly. Today DH discovered that the guttering is now attached with large screws poking out into our side, He was told to "wind his neck in and sort out the brambles from our garden". We think the brambles originate from their side but the land was originally fields so brambles are present , So now DH is furious and is complaining to council and is likely to be fuming for days to come. This being stuck at home is a minefield.