Gransnet forums

AIBU

Manners

(15 Posts)
Callistemon Mon 20-Apr-20 15:50:25

It's ok timetogo2016

I do know some polite children and have come across some exceptionally kind and polite children whom I didn't know at all - not just the ones in our family!!

They do have to be taught and prompted so if the parents do ignore them they won't learn, except at school.

Guineagirl Mon 20-Apr-20 14:55:43

I agree too, pedestrians also seem on the road a lot near me where I cycle and I don’t know why so I have to go right over to the other side of the road. I seem to be the one to move on cycle tracks when a cyclist is coming towards me, maybe it’s body language we give of so I played chicken once last year on a cycle track and cyclist was racing to me and thought I aren’t moving and got shouted out it was classic because it wasn’t just me who should of moved anyhow.

crossstitchgill Mon 20-Apr-20 14:08:56

I had a walk the other day and found young mums with prams the worst culprits for not saying thank you/ignoring me. They were mostly on their phones. However, my faith in human nature was restored later. I stood out of the way for a mother and two small girls on bicycles and both girls, under 10, said thank you when they passed me.

timetogo2016 Mon 20-Apr-20 13:24:55

You are right Callistmon i didn`t mean to offend.
I do apologise not all parents are the same sadly though the about 85% of the ones i know are.

Witzend Mon 20-Apr-20 13:19:12

Around here it’s mostly young people who aren’t bothering to keep their distance. More than once I’ve moved right to the inner edge of the (wide) pavement - even two abreast they carry on down the middle regardless. Joggers are the worst!
I now often move into the cycle lane or the road (assuming no cars or bikes coming).
I think a minority of them do it deliberately - sticking two fingers up at the rules - ‘We don’t give a f***!’ - and almost willing you to say something, so they can abuse you, and feel their day has not been entirely wasted.?

MawB Mon 20-Apr-20 11:23:57

My experience in our village is the exact opposite.
Lots of Good Mornings/Good Afternoons/Keeping well?/How are you?, lots of stepping to one side and “Thank you”s.
In fact it is more social than ever as everybody is taking their opportunity of their one walk per day. It is also quite nice not to feel the need to join another walker or have them join you - or am I just unsociable by nature ? ??

kircubbin2000 Mon 20-Apr-20 11:19:03

I have noticed people no longer smile or say good morning. They can't get out of the way quick enough and often cross the road.

Callistemon Mon 20-Apr-20 10:28:07

Not all young parents, you can't generalise like that.

Country walkers always seem to be polite, perhaps those who are used to jumping in their cars and not walking along the streets may not know the etiquette.

timetogo2016 Mon 20-Apr-20 10:11:39

Manners like good parenting has gone out of the window sadly.
Young parents can`t be bothered to chat to their children they are constantly on their mobiles and leave the children to it.
Therefore no manners.

Baggs Sun 19-Apr-20 18:59:22

And if there was no traffic on the road, what was the problem for you?

I think the assumption of rudeness is a bit grumpy.

Baggs Sun 19-Apr-20 18:58:12

They may have felt you were doing it for your own benefit rather than theirs, in which case why would they need to thank you?

I don't think you can assume intrinsic rudeness on their part.

SalsaQueen Sun 19-Apr-20 18:42:52

When I went to Malta for a holiday, I found that all the locals were rude like that. When there was a few of them chatting on a street corner, they wouldn't move and we had to walk around them, into the road. Bad-mannered oafs.

Firecracker123 Sun 19-Apr-20 12:55:57

I agree LadyOz it seems to be always me who has to move out of the way as well.

vampirequeen Sun 19-Apr-20 12:54:10

Sadly, saying 'thank you' seems to be going out of fashion.

LadyOz Sun 19-Apr-20 12:14:26

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I just need to have a little rant.
When I walk in the middle of the road because there are people on both sides of the pavement walking the same way toward me, no-where to tuck in out of the way so the middle of the road was the best option...
(no cars fortunately)

I don't expect you to move for me you had a child and your dog, elderly couple on the other side, neither of you could say "thank you". Is it rude or AIBU