Gransnet forums


Noisy neighbor family upstairs on lock down

(22 Posts)
HyacinthDaisyRose Tue 28-Apr-20 10:16:03

I did post on another thread not realizing it was over a year old, I'm hoping it's okay to post here.
Since the lock down the situation with the family upstairs has gotten worse and it's affecting my mental health.

I live on my own in a Victorian house that's converted into flats above shops. I'm on the first floor, they are above me in a 2 bed. It was initially a bunch of young men that moved in and I think only 1 of them worked. This was last yr. I work full time, long hrs, so I'm hardly ever in.
When they moved in, they took the lock off the main door and never replaced it, when I asked about it, the one who speaks English said he'll sort it out, he never did.

It's a 2 bed flat but there's at least 4 or 5 people living there, they make a lot of noise, There is zero soundproofing and so I hear everything, they talk loudly, yell out their window, smoke and stink out my flat. They leave black bags of household waste outside on the fire escape and throw away their old furniture and scrap downstairs, the place looks like landfill.
Recently, since the lock down, they've brought children and their partners to live in the flat and the noise is unbearable. I'm working from home, so there's no escape.
They let the children run up and down, kick a football about indoors, scream and shout all day. I understand, we are on lock down and the children need to play. During the day it's not too terrible, I can get out and go for long walks.
However, they ten to do things late at night, especially after 9 pm, and the noise goes on till about 3-4 am in the morning. The children love to bang on my ceiling, It sounds like they're climbing up and jumping down on their floor, they kick a ball about for hours and hours, the noise is terrible and the banging is frightening because it feels like the person is going to come through my ceiling.
I've got ear plugs but I can still hear the banging and when the kids are running around up there.

I managed to find out who their Landlord is and wrote to him because I'm afraid to say anything to the people. Since I did this, he must have said something to them because the man came banging on my door, ranting and raving that I reported him to the Landlord. The noise has gotten much worse and they're having visitors over at the weekend, all of them up there behaving like animals.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm at my wits end because I'm not getting any sleep and have no peace. I can't afford to move at moment. Anybody have any ideas or know what else can I do, please help me.

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 10:27:47

I think if they have people visiting who are not family you would be within your rights to inform the police, especially if they are threatening you.
The landlord needs to take more action and if necessary evict them.

Are you in America? I'm not sure of the procedure over there.
Good luck.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Apr-20 10:29:28

This sounds dreadful hyacinth, do you own your flat? My daughter was in a similar situation some years ago and in the end had to sell her flat ( to the noisy people upstairs) and leave.
I don’t know if environmental health may be able to offer any advice. Hope someone comes along with something that helps.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 28-Apr-20 10:29:31

Gosh, it sounds awful, I really feel for you and couldn’t just pass by without sending???.
TBH I think your only option is to think about moving, if you are afraid of the people upstairs, you will be unable to speak to them again about the noise and you can’t feel safe.
I can’t think how your situation can improve as the neighbours are unlikely to move out.
There are still properties being advertised with virtual viewings.
Alternatively, can you move somewhere else, maybe with relatives until the lockdown is over? Or can somebody move in with you to keep you company?
I hope you can find a solution soon.

LIZZIE28 Tue 28-Apr-20 10:37:45

Call the Police and ask for advice. No-one has the right to cause you fear in your own home. Hope you get it sorted. x

eazybee Tue 28-Apr-20 11:25:39

Collect as much evidence as you can, video recordings, photos etc. Write to your Landlord again, thanking him for taking action and reporting the result, and contact the police and ask for advice, saying that they threatened you and you are not safe. It sounds as though there are too many people living in this flat, and they are having visitors as well, so you have a good case for having them evicted. They may well be trying to pressure you into moving out, a well-known tactic; don't let them do it; at this time the police have more authority to act.

vampirequeen Tue 28-Apr-20 11:28:36

Speak to the police even if it's only to get the threat on record and make them aware of the problem. Contact the council because they're blocking the fire escape with rubbish. The council will also check to see if the upstairs flat is overcrowded. If it is they'll put pressure on the landlord as ultimately it's his responsibility.

GagaJo Tue 28-Apr-20 11:31:18

I think in the short term, you should invest in some noise cancelling headphones. JUST so you can get some sleep.

As far as threatening you goes, definitely, call the police.

For the ongoing noise/mess photographs and recordings.

I own a flat and my tenant sent me photographs of rats in the rubbish from the downstairs neighbours AND recordings of noise. I sent all of this to the agent that let the flat downstairs, and when that didn't work, to the owner of the flat.

It didn't completely solve the problem but it did lessen it.

Daisymae Tue 28-Apr-20 11:36:41

I think that you should call the local council environmental health and the police. Plus get back to the landlord and inform them of what's going on. Keep a diary, dates times etc, make some recordings and take photos of the rubbish. In the interim invest in noise cancelling headphones as had been suggested, they will give you a bit of respite. Hope you get this sorted out soon. X

rosenoir Tue 28-Apr-20 12:22:43

I think the only answer is to move, I know you cannot afford it now but that is what you need to work towards.

There is nothing the police can do about that sort of noise and any complaints you make will lead to confrontation with them.

It is an awful situation to be in,you have my sympathy.

EllanVannin Tue 28-Apr-20 13:05:37

It's bad enough living in a flat anyway, but when you have someone living above you just adds to the misery but when that someone above you shows no concern or consideration it can be ruinous to your mental health.

Compile a diary, writing and adding dates and times and if this doesn't work with the landlord tell him you're writing to the health and welfare department because your health is suffering badly. It's psychological abuse which is now detailed in the list of mental health categories.

I hope for your sake that something can be resolved soon.

ValerieF Tue 28-Apr-20 19:18:01

Sounds horrendous Hyacinth. No real advice but I know when I was on holiday and the people 'above' were causing a racket all night, I was at the end of my tether and that was only for two weeks!!!

Hopefully you will take the good advice given?

I feel so sorry for you.

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 19:26:59

You should not be forced out of your home.
Xall the Police and the local Council Environmental officer. And document everything.

HyacinthDaisyRose Wed 29-Apr-20 18:51:57

Sorry took long to reply. Just to update on my situation which it's really gone left. Last night I was jolted out of my sleep to the sound of drilling, this was at 10;40, I'd written the time down.,why somebody would decide to start drilling at night is beyond me.
I have spoken to my daughter who says all this carrying on is bordering on harassment and I can get advice but I don't think anything is going to come of it so I'm just going to see about if I can move out.
If I stay in this, I'll have a nervous breakdown. I've been considering moving for some time anyway.

MerylStreep Wed 29-Apr-20 19:10:50

You haven't said if you own the flat. If you do and you are thinking of moving I would give serious thought to making a complaint to the police/council.
You have to sign to the affect now that you have/have not made a formal complaint against a neighbour.
This gives your prospective buyer a heads up on the situation as to whether they proceed with the purchase.

HyacinthDaisyRose Wed 29-Apr-20 22:27:58

MerylStreep, I am renting privately and paying a high rent in NW London. I think upstairs are council, not sure. I say council because I saw one of their mail the envelope said Brent council.
I'm scared to call the police, they'll know it was me. My Landlord isn't in the country at the moment so she's not going to be able to help me much.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Apr-20 22:31:41

I think the council will be able to help you, but of course, as you say, there isn't much chance of it remaining anonymous.

Does their noise disturb anyone else?

JenniferEccles Wed 29-Apr-20 22:46:08

Oh you are renting so that makes it so much easier to escape this intolerable situation.

Ideally of course you shouldn’t feel forced out of the flat if it suits you, but the situation you describe is so awful that a move must be your best option.

Is there any way you could afford to rent a small house rather than a flat and possibly look for one in a nice area popular with families?

Starblaze Wed 29-Apr-20 22:50:57

This is awful. No one should feel uncomfortable and unsafe in their own home. I really hope things get better for you. No advice other than what has already been said, sorry

HyacinthDaisyRose Wed 29-Apr-20 22:58:55

Somebody mentioned if anybody else can hear them? The 2 houses on both sides of mine are empty and were in the middle of renovating before the lock down. I met the gentleman who has bought the 2 homes and he says he'll be turning them into luxury apartments.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Apr-20 23:09:55

I wonder if he may be interested in helping you?

I'm sure he won't want tenants complaining to him..

Joyfulnanna Wed 29-Apr-20 23:11:54

Do you have an agent or are you renting directly through the landlord? This is an intolerable situation, put that in writing to the agent/landlord and give them notice that the terms of your tenancy are being breached, and unless they take action, you are going to have to leave for your sanity. I'm assuming that you are too frightened to approach the people upstairs?