Gransnet forums

AIBU

To ask for paragraphs?

(94 Posts)
phoenix Sun 03-May-20 23:00:58

Just that, really.

Sometimes there are very long OP's, which is fine, but iftheyareinonelongcontinuosrunitcanmakethemabit hardgoingtoread.

If you see what I mean smile

Grandmafrench Tue 05-May-20 20:34:44

I think each to his own Fennel but I am sorry about all the chaff!

That’s a touching post, Daisydoes and I would echo your outrage. I’d hate to think that there was much genuine nastiness on this Forum, but we’re all different and, yes, people can be cruel. My experience here is that if it appears, it’s quickly stamped on. Knee jerk reactions to posts, especially those such as you’ve mentioned, usually indicate that the person concerned simply hasn’t bothered to read what’s in front of them.

Your last paragraph would strike a chord with any decent human being.

Daisydoes Tue 05-May-20 18:30:10

I once read a post on Mumsnet (if I remember correctly).
It was a long lost, made by a poor woman who was being terribly abused by her partner, but was frightened to tell anyone, or try to get out because she had a young child and was pregnant. She was desperate, and just poured out her heart in one long sob.
The first response was 'paragraphs please!'
At the time I thought it was the crappiest, nastiest response to someone in pain.
Now I see it is acceptable to a majority.

What a crying shame.

I will continue to not give a flying fig for spelling, grammar, or whether the post meets my expected standards. As long as I can read it, and amazingly, I can, without it 'hurting'(?), then I will treat it with the kindness and respect it deserves.

Fennel Tue 05-May-20 18:16:17

ps good topic Phoenix.

Fennel Tue 05-May-20 18:15:16

Grandmafrench I skimmed your long post and you make some good points.
Maybe it's my age, or it's just me, but all I can absorb now are posts with short 'bullet points'. I like to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.
I try to keep my own posts short and to the point, with short paragraphs. I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong, It's just the only style my brain can cope with.

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 14:08:40

I'll read it in a minute, Grandmafrench because it is in paragraphs.

I'm only just finishing lunch as I was having a discussion with English teacher DD re the nuances of the English language.
Nothing to do with this thread though.

Grandmafrench Tue 05-May-20 13:57:38

Thank you to trisher and to sodapop for your time in reading and comment.

Elegran thank you for your kind comment and your time. Your hairdressing comment made me laugh out loud.

Have a good day, all of you.

sodapop Tue 05-May-20 13:17:37

I think initially all that was said was - its easier to read a long post if it's broken up into paragraphs. No mention of spelling, grammar etc that is for Pedants corner.

GrandmaFrench your last post was a perfect example of how to do it properly.

Elegran Tue 05-May-20 11:09:59

Thank you, Grandmafrench for your long and interesting and very readable post. Keep posting at the same length - and in the same digestible chunks.

I agree with you on spelling, grammar, punctuation and so on - not something to use as a stick on people who get them wrong in a chat, but something that should be done right by "those who attempt to enlighten or educate the nation be that via t.v., books, newspapers, radio, even official twitter feeds - but consider that they don't need to speak or write proper English"

For these people to think that it doesn't matter if they mangle the language is like saying it doesn't matter if a professional hairdresser leaves your hair looking like a floor mop that has been caught in a food processor. The fashion may be for the floor-mop look, but it does have to be very carefully and artfully created.

trisher Tue 05-May-20 10:57:54

Thanks Grandmafrench and I read all of it.
I seldom criticise posts unless people start to make demands of other people. Yours only seems to set out your own ideas and what you want which as far as I can see is fine. But I am generally regarded as critical and unkind on this thread so perhaps I'm just having a bad (good?) day!

Grandmafrench Tue 05-May-20 10:47:20

Well then, timetogo it's as sure as God made little green apples, you won't read this.......but am I downhearted? No.

When phoenix started this thread I immediately felt bad. It's not just marydoll who can feel hurt or aggrieved. There was nothing unpleasant about it and it made a brief and succinct point. But I need to step forward as a wrong-doer and also I had to listen to endless posts by people who said they would never bother to read long posts. I find that a bit sad, but of course it's a choice.

I do find it incredible that if someone has something to say, they have to be concerned about spelling, grammar, apostrophes et al. This is, as I think trisher points out, social media. It would seem that no-one - even us oldies/semi-oldies - want to take time to read lengthy stuff from and about strangers. Well, I do. I wouldn't be here otherwise. I actually get quite disappointed if the "Good Morning" thread has a lot of two liners from people - even if they feel their lives are just a succession of dull days. Further, I feel that in our present circumstances - at least for me - it's a lovely feeling to follow the ups and downs of people's daily lives (however dull for them) and think that firstly, I'm not on my own in this, secondly, that I might be able to say something to help or amuse, and thirdly - please? - that I may be able to share my daily life and not bore the pants off anyone reading. (But sometimes it now appears, not reading!)

I just wanted to say that I am driven to absolute distraction by those who attempt to enlighten or educate the nation - and good luck with that - be that via t.v., books, newspapers, radio, even official twitter feeds - but consider that they don't need to speak or write proper English. The standard of spelling and use of words in newspapers these days - forget about the ancient art of proof-reading - is beyond abysmal. It's an insult to anyone who could claim to have had an education. Some phrases used are so wrong that one would assume that they are just included for the sake of humour! It's like Mrs Malaprop gone mad!

Here, on this forum, surely the content and the aim of communicating with lots of people must take precedence over where is the missing comma, or spelling errors. How or where people were or were not educated - to me - is hardly relevant any more. I have always subscribed, in any event, to being more interested in what people say, rather than how they say it. I feel now, and here, that the same should be said of what they write.

My reason for wanting to add something was to explain (not excuse) the fact that I do often write long posts. Sorry, that's just me. I also feel that trying to keep a comment to a few lines, especially when responding to another poster, can often sound brusque - or rude - because one hasn't bothered at all to explain an opinion or consider how the other person might feel in any debate or discussion. This sees a spirited debate often reduced to either name-calling or unpleasant remarks and I can see no valid point to that.

Because of the length of my posts and being relatively new to this Forum, I have honestly tried to disguise their length by...wait for it.....omitting paragraphs. I would never (and I'd love to put that in block capitals but that is also something to be discouraged on here)..I would never write anything, letters, mails, blogs, anything without using paragraphs. Words were always my thing and featured in a huge part of my career.

The reason I have done it? It's really simple - and I trust that Marydoll will have managed to read this far because otherwise if she comes across this in future, she's going to be annoyed or aggrieved - is that some of the long-standing people on here write long posts. Marydoll's posts often exceed the screen of my large tablet. I hope I don't need to say that I read and enjoy and look forward to them. She often says she rambles, well for me that's half the charm of taking the trouble to write about a lot of things for other people's amusement. But as a newcomer, I thought that some of my posts would be equally long but appear pushy or unwelcome.

So I hit on the not-so-cunning plan of omitting paragraphs! Simply hoping it would disguise the length of the posts.
I won't do this anymore. I shall just have to be out and proud and limit what I write, but do it properly and with respect for other posters.

There's another point - it's not in my defence but it might go some way to explaining why I need to write this. Even though I honestly know a number of people who are dyslexic, and they probably struggle to hide or cover up any struggles that they have, it never occurred to me that in writing as I did, such people would struggle. And what about those with poor sight and not terribly au fait with using computers? So, my humble apologies for that. I shall make an effort in future.

This is also in my defence - in my life I have met many who are very shy or with really low self-esteem. Because I love to talk to people (and I write as I speak unfortunately), I just prattle on - never noticing that they are reluctant to speak or saying very little - but asking questions or making light-hearted conversation. Almost everyone like that has later said to me, when we have become better acquainted, that they were so grateful that I took the spotlight off them and made them feel more confident and that they loved our first conversations. So, I'm not all bad or thoughtless.

Trisher you can criticise all you like. Your choice. And I am well able to fight my corner, but on here I'd rather not. I try very hard not to be offensive and recognise that some are too easily hurt or offended. You will know that. You will also see that there can be some very sour comments on here - maybe it's just a way of venting for some, but I don't think it has any place in conversation or debate. It also encourages lurkers and frightens new posters away, I'm sure of that.

Anyone still awake? Sorry, but I just needed to explain - because I felt immediately "in the frame" about the paragraphs.

Have a super day, everyone.

timetogo2016 Tue 05-May-20 09:51:13

I tend not to readlong posts as i think by the time i finish the problem will be solved.
Short and to the point for me.

trisher Tue 05-May-20 09:50:21

Marydoll I made one throw away remark about your post. I've checked, it was a single sentence. grumpa did the same with a post of mine. I took it in good heart. I'm sorry you can't do the same.
Grandmafrench please do post I promise not to say horrible things or criticise.

Chewbacca Tue 05-May-20 09:47:45

grin oh go on Grandmafrench, help get the discussion going in the right direction again!

Grandmafrench Tue 05-May-20 09:45:07

Oh great. I’ve held back from posting - even though I really needed to say something important (to me) - until the arguments subsided. Now I’m not going to get a hearing.

Chewbacca Tue 05-May-20 09:41:35

Well said Marydoll. flowers

Marydoll Tue 05-May-20 09:38:13

Trisher, you were the first to pick on my innocent (in my opinion) suggestion about previewing. That's all it was intended to be, certainly not a criticism of any poster.
What a warped view you must have of posters, when you look for criticism, where none is intended.

You were in the first instance, antagonistic towards me, I reponded, as I felt your comment totally unnecessary and an attempt to ridicule me. Did you trawl through the post, looking for any errors, I may have made?
You picked up on a single letter, in a misspelled three letter word, in a whole post.
I thought it was quite unkind of you, due to the fact that I had to give up my teaching job, due to my useless, arthritic hands and typing is not easy for me. It was quite an achievement for me to have made only one error in an admittedly long post.

No I'm not looking for sympathy, before you say anything, I am merely stating a fact. Combined with my mild dyslexia and lack of dexterity, I do make errors.
You of all people, as an apparent expert and educator, should more empathetic.
Perhaps it would be advisable to stop and think, before you post.
I'm sure you offer that same advice to your pupils, an unkind remark cannot be retracted and can hurt.

I do not have to defend my character, especially to you and neither do I intend to engage with you further.
Those posters, who know me well (you don't), know what kind of person I am, certainly not the person you describe.

phoenix and those who have already posted, I'm so sorry that this thread has gone off track, I will now withdraw to my glass house.

trisher Tue 05-May-20 08:49:27

Isn't it a bit antagonistic to ask me a question and then when I answer it accuse me of having to have the last word Marydoll?. I'm not particularly antagonistic. I do have a sense of humour about the whole thing and I quite appreciated grumpa's remark about my slip.
I do dislike the attitude taken by some posters on GN that they are entitled to contradict you and pick holes in what you say because they are nice people and you are aggressive. I don't mind being the baddie if that's what you want but really it takes two you know.

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 23:58:52

I'm quite sure I am not dyslexic but I find a long post which is not broken up into paragraphs very difficult to read. Quite often the OP may appear to be distressed and has written as though speaking without drawing breath.

I know that this is social media and we should expect varying standards of competence in the use of language but presenting a problem (and these are usually problems) in a more coherent way does mean that more posters may be willing to take the time to read and to offer advice.

Marydoll Mon 04-May-20 23:41:43

I was absolutely certain you would attempt to have the last word, Trisher. You haven't disappointed me. ?

You quoted one comment I made: If you preview your post, before posting, you will realise how hard it is to read, then accused me of criticising posters and in turn used that comment against me. It was a suggestion, not a criticism.

Having read other posts by you, I suspect you enjoy a good spat.
I however, prefer to be pleasant to posters, unless they deliberately set out to undermine and misrepresent what I have posted. Your attempt to humiliate me failed. I know what my intention was.
Unlike you, I try not to upset others, by being unkind.
I do hope that is not your preferred teaching style.

Furthermore, you certainly didn't like the comment about using the red pen. I'm sure you will be delighted to know that I too used a green pen, so we have something in common after all. ?

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 23:27:59

Please dont mark mine wiv a green pen Marydoll or trisher

I like red not green

Fanks.

But then I dont make menny mistakes.

I do like paragraffs tho.

trisher Mon 04-May-20 22:36:18

Marydoll I would never criticise or correct any poster who was simply writing and I do not go over anything with my red pen -(red was much disapproved of anyway by the right-on and replaced with green which was considered less threatening)
But when someone critcises others for not previewing their work and then makes a mistake I consider it quite amusing to point out that mistake. I believe the applicable saying is People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
SueDonim said her GC was paragraphing and that it is taught in schools I simply gave the age it is in the curriculum. Of course there will be children who are advanced and of course there will be children who will never paragraph. Just as there are adults who won't.
So I will state as I said before I don't care if people spell badly, I don't care if they punctuate properly and I certainly don't give a toss about paragraphs. It's not important. It's social media and it really doesn't matter.

Marydoll Mon 04-May-20 20:41:20

The more you learn, the less you realise you actually know!

SueDonim Mon 04-May-20 20:38:58

grin Marydoll. I hadn’t mentioned where he was at school so it was fair comment.

Marydoll Mon 04-May-20 20:34:46

? Even better!!! Glad to hear his education appears to be tailored to his needs.
I'm always prepared to put my hands up, and admit I'm wrong which is quite often! wink

SueDonim Mon 04-May-20 20:31:06

This part of my post is addressed to Trisher and Suedonim.
I assume, Trisher you are referring to the English curriculum, (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you will) but on the other hand Suedonim, your grandson attends a Scottish school, where the curriculum is somewhat different.
I am not au fait with the English Curriculum, so I wouldn't presume to comment on it.

The Scottish curriculum, Curriculum for Excellence is much more flexible and less prescriptive than some curricula, so it feasible for a child to be paragraphing earlier than the age you suggest Trisher. Suedonim, you must be very proud of your wee grandson.

At the risk of furthering this thread(!) Marydoll, my GS is at a state school just outside London, sadly nowhere near me.

Thank you for the final comment - I’m sure all GNetters are rightly proud of their GC! smile