Gransnet forums

AIBU

VE Day “celebrations”

(213 Posts)
vegansrock Tue 05-May-20 04:24:12

I keep seeing on my local FB exhortations to organise “socially distanced” street parties, dress up in 1940s clothes , decorate the house and sing Vera Lynn songs. I’m all for a drink and a chat with the neighbours at anytime, and quite happy to keep a distance, but AIBU to suggest a “celebration” is not appropriate in the midst of a pandemic in which thousands have died? My father was in the navy but didn’t get demobbed till after VJ Day so he wasn't present at the first VE Day, so I can’t even be thinking of him. I’ll be remembering those who lost their lives and those who are suffering now, but won’t be dressing up or having a singalong. Am I just being an old misery?

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 23:08:28

Yes, they're very badly behaved, send them back down south.

Furret Mon 11-May-20 23:03:36

You mean Baggs and Elegran?

Furret Mon 11-May-20 23:02:22

Stop them at the border paddyanne.

A line of pipers in full regalia playing Scots Wha Hae should do it, and it that doesn’t work then set the Krankies on them.

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 15:31:12

It'll be the English immigrants to Scotland who are to blame for the bad behaviour.

Chewbacca Sun 10-May-20 15:24:24

Aw, sorry you're having such a bad time of it paddyanne but, fingers crossed, you'll get independence soon and all your prayers will be answered. flowers

paddyanne Sun 10-May-20 15:12:52

233 people moved on by police on Easter Satuday in Balloch ,cyclists travelling down from Glasgow by train to cycle here .I have farmer friends who are appalled at the nuber of people who are travelling to walk over their fields..given its lambing season they should stay away and even more important keep their dogs at home .Fines have been handed out to those who failed to comply with advice and 7 people were charged after refusing to go home.I have links to the police and in general they say people are following advice but there is a core who tell them Nicola isn't the "boss of me,Boris is MY PM" YOU REALLY COULDN'T MAKE IT UP .If Bojo changes HIS rules today we'll be swamped by numpties

Chewbacca Sun 10-May-20 13:14:28

It's the same all over the country paddyanne; England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland all have their fair share of people who think they know better and ignore the advice given. On Friday, the Coastguard helicopters were called out to 97 emergencies, 16 of which were in Scotland, in one day, because of people who ignored the advice given and got themselves into precarious situations. I hope every single one of them was fined.

paddyanne Sun 10-May-20 13:03:56

Police have been out at Loch Lomond every day moving people on who travel here to exercise ,it wasn't a street party just eegits ,you get them everywhere Loch Lomond is in West Dunbartonshie ...or some oof it is.Mounted police going through the parks keeps the teens on the move ,mainly folk are behaving .The mixed messages from different goverments doesn't help there is an element here who are such SNP hters that they will ignore anything she says even if its a danger to thir lives .

Alishka Sun 10-May-20 12:20:55

I agree with someone upthread who wrote of those still fighting the war in Japan after the war in Europe had officially ended, and those need to be remembered tooshock

Callistemon Sat 09-May-20 23:36:09

There are always some wherever you go!

Chewbacca Sat 09-May-20 23:32:14

Agree Callistemon; whilst there were very many responsible, and respectful, VE Day celebrations up and down the country, there were a few that were not so responsible; an area in Warrington decided to do a conga dance up the street, completely ignoring social distancing and 7 people were arrested for breaching social distancing rules in West Dunbartonshire. Quite depressing that, whilst the majority of people are doing all they can to avoid making the situation worse than it already is, there are others, in several areas of the UK, that don't. You can't help stupid.

Callistemon Sat 09-May-20 23:19:23

I think that street parties are discouraged in Scotland and alcohol is not allowed on the streets in many areas.

Perhaps that is because Scotland has a much higher rate of alcohol-related deaths and a higher rate of alcohol consumption per capita than England and Wales.

Callistemon Sat 09-May-20 23:13:21

I saw one party in Cosham on TV Chewbacca

The view was misleading as the reporter said, all the well behaved residents looked very responsible and the reporter stated that they were all socially distancing in their family units. Young children singing with their parents, not at all a boozy party!

JenniferEccles Sat 09-May-20 23:07:26

Lacock is lovely.

As Callistemon has said it’s a National Trust village.

Very unspoilt and has featured in a few tv productions.

Chewbacca Sat 09-May-20 22:57:54

Having visited Corsham earlier this year, I was intrigued to see the Sky news report of the VE celebrations in Corsham. But I couldn't find anything at all except for a church service and a couple of householders with picnic chairs on their garden paths. Cosham in Portsmouth, on the other hand, apparently wasn't as socially responsible.

Callistemon Sat 09-May-20 22:49:34

Fake news paddyanne

We probably get a lot of fake news about Scotland on GN but then we hear that it's not really Shangri-La at all.

Callistemon Sat 09-May-20 22:46:19

Lacock is a National Trust village
As least riotous as it can get!! grin

Sparklefizz Sat 09-May-20 19:26:50

paddyanne My son lives in Corsham and it's a quiet place. Apparently the "event" actually happened in Lacock, not far away, but an even quieter place. Apparently someone took a photo of 6 people who may have been a family, sitting on the grass and posted it on Corsham Facebook page.

The police looked into it and there was no one there.

Goodness knows how such a minor thing became a big enough event for Sky to report..... 6 people in "Sleepy Hollow" as opposed to hundreds out on bikes in the hot weather.

paddyanne Sat 09-May-20 19:18:14

thats what the Sky reporter said ,I dont know the area ,just going by what he said.Is there another Corsham?

Sparklefizz Sat 09-May-20 18:32:40

Paddyanne Corsham in Wiltshire?

NotTooOld Sat 09-May-20 18:17:36

Our village was decked to the nines and some of the roads had socially distanced street parties. It was nice for the children and gave them something different to do. As for sitting out at the end of the drive with a pic-nic and a drink, nah, not for us. I agree with the comments about VJ day and I hope it won't be forgotten.

oscaro11 Sat 09-May-20 18:17:04

A quiet get together in our road which not everybody participated in but that’s their choice. Nothing loud or rowdy. Flags and bunting on a few houses. At 3pm we raised a toast, all social distancing. One chap had some 40s music on playing gently in the background. People were just glad to come out and talk after weeks of being indoors I think. All lasted about an hour maximum.

Lizbethann55 Sat 09-May-20 18:06:28

Like vegansrock my parents missed VE day . They were both in the navy in the South Pacific. Dad in Canadian navy and mum a Wren. So I hope VJ day won't be forgotten. But I thought yesterday's celebrations were lovely. Especially the BBC who must have rearranged all their plans in such a short time. Our road didn't do anything, but I envied the streets that did. The quirky nature of the celebrations seemed remarkably British. I particularly like the social distancing conga using ropes from the scout troop!.And I thought the Queen's speech was absolutely perfect and hit just the right note. It was wonderful if only to have a break from the endless bad news, and to make us realise that just staying in, isn't really too hard.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 09-May-20 16:31:09

I don't honestly know whether there would have been such enthusiasm for the VE celebrations if it had been normal circumstances.

I think people wanted to enjoy some fun with neighbours after enduring this lockdown period. For this reason I would not begrudge the celebrations, bunting and so on, but I won't be joining them, but will quietly remember and be grateful for the relative peace in my lifetime.

My father was in the artillery, on the front line advancing through Holland during the war, and saw many terrible things that nobody, particularly one so young, should see, and that he never forgot, but rarely spoke about.

He was too traumatised and sad to ever join in these type of remembrance "celebrations" and I can understand why.

Hetty58 Sat 09-May-20 15:53:04

It was just one great big excuse to ignore lockdown here.

Yes, the posters went up about staying in your garden - but no, they didn't, not for long. Some infantile peer pressure bravado at work meant mass gatherings on the pavement and kids all playing in the street.

Then, the inevitable fireworks and barbeques started of course. I suspected that my neighbours were pretty dim and behave like a flock of sheep - but still I'm surprised.