Gransnet forums

AIBU

Supper on the sofa?

(137 Posts)
Bluegrass Fri 08-May-20 12:03:10

DH and I have firmly got into the habit of eating supper on the sofa in front of the TV. I wonder how many of you do this also?

henetha Fri 05-Jun-20 10:36:07

Always on a tray for me. My back hates my dining chairs.
So I'm on my sofa, supported by cushions, for every meal.

NfkDumpling Fri 05-Jun-20 08:11:48

The six o’clock news is responsible for some very lax habits!

NfkDumpling Fri 05-Jun-20 08:11:00

Supper (except here we call it dinner), is always on a tray on laps watching the news. All other meals are at the table.

dizzygran Fri 05-Jun-20 07:54:59

Trays on laps for us when it is just the two of us watching the news. We use the dining room for family and friends - or when I've cooked something special. My kitchen is too small for table and chairs. Been eating outside during this lovely weather - and have mozzie bites everywhere!!

annep1 Mon 11-May-20 23:32:01

I use a large round cappuccino mug for soup on my lap fairyfeet.

Evoha16 Mon 11-May-20 20:53:26

There’s a fab oak ‘coffee’ table made by L**ra A**ley which has a lift up section which raises up to an ideal level to sit on sofa and eat from - I’m thinking of getting one for winter as we migrate like caribou from conservatory to lounge - esp when ‘Only Connect’ is on

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 16:44:23

I dont feel as if I'm in the right position to eat sitting on a sofa.

That's why Thor created tables and chairs and rattles them around sometimes in the heavens.
We think it's thunder but it's not.

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-May-20 16:42:08

I always eat meals at table and lay it properly, after all...I'm worth it. ??
I might listen to music or read a book propped on the recipe book stand.
Your lap is much lower and less stable than a table, even with a padded lap tray.

Fairyfeet Sun 10-May-20 10:41:37

I haven’t eaten at the dining table when I’m alone since my DH died 3 years ago. I can’t bear to see his empty chair. I have a lap tray and eat in the sitting room watching tv......soup is a little difficult though. I can’t see anything wrong with it. When he was alive, and the children were at home, it just would not have happened ever. Proper sit down meals, no tv, no mobiles, and conversation with each other was the norm.

NanaPlenty Sun 10-May-20 08:48:35

We usually sit at the ‘table’ which is a very large island in the kitchen but occasionally and dependent on what the food is, I put it in large bowls and we eat it in the snug on the sofa.

lilypollen Sat 09-May-20 23:30:50

TV dinners on trays regularly except, roast, bbq,fondue or visitors. I decided on a normal meal at the table 2 days ago - nothing to say - won't be doing it any time soon as the TV is a diversion. Sad!

mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 09-May-20 23:21:23

Each to their own as they say. We always eat at the dining table, seems sloppy to me to eat on a tray in the lounge. Put a clean tablecloth on every few days. I can hear my mother saying to me "It is standards"

Nanaval4G Sat 09-May-20 21:15:32

Well said etheltbags1, one of the main reasons I don't post on this site

Missgran Sat 09-May-20 20:13:26

We used to eat on trays on the sofa in front of the tv until my dh got bad stomach and back pain we went back to eating at the dining table in the dining room and his digestion improved we do have a light supper on a Sunday on our knees tho

kazzer Sat 09-May-20 19:47:26

Every night comphy eating on the sofa just the two of us, anymore up the table

Peardrop50 Sat 09-May-20 19:11:14

Always ate at the table when our children were at home. Now eat in the dining room high days and holidays only. Eat at the kitchen island or at a table outside in good weather.
I make no judgement about eating on the sofa, I just don't find it comfortable or easy but happy to have a drink and nibbles in front of the tv in the evening.

Bijou Sat 09-May-20 17:42:41

Breakfast and evening dinner on my recliner chair so that I can relax and put my aching legs up. Midday snack at kitchen table.

CBBL Sat 09-May-20 17:15:46

In common with MiniMoon , we eat our main meal just after mid-day and that will be seated at the table (with a tablecloth)! However, breakfast is usually toast for hubby, and either crumpets or a toasted bagel for me, eaten on the settee, watching TV! Our supper, usually a sandwich for hubby, who will eat that on the settee. I prefer something cooked, as I don't like cold food much and it rather depends what I have, as to whether or not it's eaten at the table. Our dining table is in the living room as the kitchen is not large enough for one. We don't have a Dining Room, although we did eat in the Sun Room when we first moved here. This is now the province of our two cats!

Bluegrass Sat 09-May-20 16:34:54

Thank you for your posts. It has been interesting to read and it seems we're all pretty much the same. Just to clarify, I sometimes refer to dinner as supper which for us is after 7pm which is habitually eaten on the sofa. However, breakfast is at the dining table. Any extra people and grandchildren we eat all meals at the table. smile

Shazmo24 Sat 09-May-20 16:33:05

We do...but if we had a lounge/diner or a kitchen/diner (where we could put up a tv) we would eat at table

Greciangirl Sat 09-May-20 15:34:10

Always eat evening meal at the table. Mainly because I need a lot of condiments. Impossible whilst sitting on the sofa.
Mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, Worcester sauce, etc, always put away after each meal.

Lunch is usually a sandwich and for that I always sit on the sofa. Evening meal always a cooked affair, so more formal.
Have Lounge/diner, so can watch t.v. As well.

dolphindaisy Sat 09-May-20 15:27:55

Just the two of us so we always eat sitting on the sofa with trays on our laps. Our kitchen isn't big enough for a table or breakfast bar, We do have a large formal dining table but that is only used when we have visitors, I do enjoy making a meal for friends and family and have everyone sitting round the table but for everyday I couldn't be bothered to set it up.

oscaro11 Sat 09-May-20 15:09:37

Dinner (evening) at the table. Lunch and breakfast, depending on what it is can be at the table or on a lap tray. Cooked usually eaten at the table, easier to avoid mishaps. At the end of the day, it’s your home so do what is best for you.

PennyWhistle Sat 09-May-20 15:05:40

Breakfast and lunch ... or brunch have been on the patio this weekend as it is so glorious to be outside. Like some others, dinner is at the table, unless it is pizza when it is enjoyed whilst sitting on the sofa smile

Baloothefitz Sat 09-May-20 14:56:44

Yes Ethelbags in your own home do as you please ,a lot of judging on here by some .