Gransnet forums

AIBU

What are they thinking?

(12 Posts)
Hetty58 Sat 09-May-20 18:41:01

Today, some are still at it but in a quieter sort of way. The traffic has increased and there are a lot of unrelated kids playing outdoors, people sitting outside and chatting away on benches or garden walls - at less than two metres apart.

It's as if they've decided that lockdown is over now. I don't think the announcement about lifting some restrictions has helped at all.

eazybee Fri 08-May-20 16:32:48

It is happening in my cul-de-sac as well; started off with people on their front lawns, now moving tables and gathering together; I am watching from my upstairs window and feel like the Lady of Shalott watching: up and down the people go.
Social distancing is going to be hard work after this.

Greta Fri 08-May-20 15:36:56

I think this year's VE day should have been postponed. It seems obvious to me that for many people it was just going to be too tempting. When we celebrate we get together and we certainly don't observe social distancing when doing so. I don't believe thaat some people aren't 'thinking', they just want to do what they want to do. Many will see the VE day as giving them the right to do so.
The amount of traffic where I live is almost back to normal today. I expect it'll be the same over the weekend.

Grannybags Fri 08-May-20 15:27:06

Our neighbours are having a 'get together' in our cul-de-sac
We've been invited to bring cakes and drinks so we can all share!

Needless to say we're not going!

Hetty58 Fri 08-May-20 15:13:10

Unfortunately, I think VE day is an ideal excuse to party openly in the street (rather than their back gardens). Maybe peer pressure is playing a part and people don't want to be seen as standoffish or overcautious. I still think they're crazy!

AGAA4 Fri 08-May-20 15:09:10

I don't think the newspapers have helped saying lockdown will be 'relaxed.' In Scotland lockdown goes on and there have been some very modest tweaking in Wales but lockdown continues.
We will have to see what Boris says on Sunday about England.

phoenix Fri 08-May-20 14:58:36

vampirequeen love the phrase "orange toddler" grin

vampirequeen Fri 08-May-20 14:11:04

Well Donald said that disinfectant kills the virus and alcohol is a form of disinfectant so they were just following the orange toddler's advice and drinking it.

Summerlove Fri 08-May-20 12:45:38

They’ve obviously decided that lockdown is over.

It’s crazy how many people have decided it was too extreme and the peak has passed. Nevermind all the new daily infections

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 08-May-20 12:43:55

They're probably a bit fed up with the social distancing and believe that this awful virus only happens to other people.

A small group of us are having tea and cake on our neignbouring driveways whilst keeping a safe distance.

May7 Fri 08-May-20 12:37:39

hetty58
I suggest that they weren’t thinking and if they had been drinking alcohol then inhibitions lessen don’t they.

Not surprised really it’s happening here as well.

You can only control what you do so keep yourself safe

Hetty58 Fri 08-May-20 12:20:25

Neighbours are having a big street party. Posters went up yesterday - suggesting a picnic in your own front garden. Fair enough, good idea.

Today, out walking the dog, I'm invited to 'Come and have a drink' and there they are, all bunched together on the pavement, chatting away - social distancing all forgotten.

Of course, I declined and hurried past in the middle of the road! What's wrong with them?