Gransnet forums

AIBU

How to stop advertisements on Gransnet

(17 Posts)
Sparkling Tue 19-May-20 08:01:44

Does anyone know how to avoi adverts when you log in to Gransnet. One this morning for All Saints of an emaciated woman in torn jeans was quite off putting, I cannot see why anyone would want to look like that. The ads are everywhere. They just keep coming.

sodapop Tue 19-May-20 08:32:07

I'm not seeing that at all Sparkling does it depend on whether you are using phone,tablet or laptop to access GN.?

Marydoll Tue 19-May-20 08:33:10

I think you need to purchase an ad blocker.
I'm sure this has been discussed before.

Lilypops Tue 19-May-20 08:35:34

I saw that advert of the emancipated girl in jeans. It was awful. I get adverts popping up every time on GN, there’s one on now for Floryday clothes , How can I stop this distracting nuisance , ?

BlueBelle Tue 19-May-20 08:36:14

I haven’t got an advert for a woman in torn jeans at all in fact
I ve just got one at the side for m and S but I can’t see it unless I widen the screen
I m using an iPad on mobile

MaizieD Tue 19-May-20 08:47:35

You're not all going to see the same ads because the ads you see are 'personally tailored' for you. In other words, your browser tracks all the websites you visit and online purchases you make and its algorithm comes up with things it 'thinks' you'd be interested in.

For example, I've just read an article about the environmental cost of cheap flatpack furniture. Come here to Gnet and up pops a furniture advert in the sidebar. This is not a coincidence.

Websites make money from people clicking on the adverts...

To stop it you'll need an ad blocker.

grannyrebel7 Tue 19-May-20 09:01:22

Well I've got one for Pampers and I haven't had a baby for 39 years smile

BlueBelle Tue 19-May-20 09:04:37

Well that’s funny Maizie as I don’t shop at MandS and haven’t been looking at anything from them !
They don’t bother me as they are out of my eye contact anyway but it is interesting what people get
I ve now got one for Graze never used them never looked them up

PamelaJ1 Tue 19-May-20 09:14:02

GN is a business. The people who set it up make a living from it.
How do you think they make money? There was a thread a little while ago that discussed whether we should pay to use this site. No one seemed to want to. Just ignore them, the ads I mean.

MaizieD Tue 19-May-20 09:17:58

I suspect that if you don't do much shopping or searching for consumer goods on line the algorithm gets a bit desperate and tries to entice you with something ?

soloflier Tue 19-May-20 12:23:58

i get fed up with some of them who take up most of the page but as i want to read certain items i just put up with it and if i want the news i just go to bbc as no adverts on there.

BlueBelle Tue 19-May-20 12:27:20

maizie I do lots if online shopping got a package yesterday but not with MandS or Banggood which has just come up now with men’s shirts as I don’t have a man and never heard of banggood I m still mystified

jane1956 Tue 19-May-20 13:48:47

have an ad blocker on Chrome, do not see any ads

Esspee Tue 19-May-20 13:50:20

I’m on my iPad and right now there are no adverts.

libra10 Tue 19-May-20 13:58:33

I have an ad blocker installed, but have it turned off for Gransnet.

The site needs funding to keep running; Mumsnet are already requesting their users to use a new subscription based project. Gransnet could go the same way!

The ads aren't usually too intrusive, ignore if not interested.

ninathenana Tue 19-May-20 18:19:27

I don't ever see ads on GN mobile site. I can't remember if I blocked them or if they are not on mobile site.

Carenza123 Wed 20-May-20 07:39:41

I like to look on Pinterest and often get annoyed when I am trying to read an article of interest, to find adverts continually covering the text I am trying to read! Annoying to say the least. I am a regular user of a word app but have just paid to use it add-free, well worth the money for less frustration!