Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tombstoning Twits

(23 Posts)
Ngaio1 Mon 01-Jun-20 10:59:58

Am I the only one to think that tombstoners and other self harming twits should be charged for the cost of the air ambulances (if used), lifeguards, /coastguards and hospitals.

If it were up to me, I would leave the idiots where they landed and let them or their pals sort it. Total waste of money.

emmasnan Mon 01-Jun-20 11:05:16

No I agree, Its not an accidental thing, its self inflicted.

Jane10 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:09:30

Young people have always done stupid things. I wouldn't leave them on the beach. However, when/if they recover I'd send the police round with a detailed list of costings and charge them with breach of the peace or similar.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:13:27

Leaving them where they land is a bit extreme. As Jane says, youngsters have always taken silly risks. I expect they get an adrenaline rush.
Have you noticed that on 'You've Been Framed' it's often young men (though not exclusively) who do these daft things? It's the testosterone which makes them daft.

Sussexborn Mon 01-Jun-20 11:21:11

If you work on that theory then people who smoke and drink excessively shouldn’t be treated either.

Most who do these things are young males with too many hormones sloshing around in their bodies.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jun-20 11:25:17

It is known that young people have an inbuilt trait not to be risk adverse.

They grow out if it.

The insurance companies recognise that fact

essjay Mon 01-Jun-20 11:28:19

definitely should make them pay especially at a time when our emergency services are very stretched. i would also make them help out a rehab centre for people who have suffered life changing injuries due to such folly

rockgran Mon 01-Jun-20 11:55:03

They may not have any money but I think they should be made to do some work for the service. It would keep them gainfully occupied in future.

MadCatWoman1 Mon 01-Jun-20 12:46:41

Those type of idiots who jump off cliffs or fall over whilst climbing mountains then want someone to go out and rescue them - they should be charged a fee for the call-out.

My brother had to have a leg amputated when a car (driven by an uninsured driver) drove into him as he sat on his motorbike IN A LINE OF TRAFFIC AT RED LIGHTS. My brother was sent a bill for the ambulance that went out to him.

OceanMama Mon 01-Jun-20 12:46:42

Agree Sussexborn. If we are holding people responsible for these things then smokers, drinkers, or those who suffer from other lifestyle induced problems shouldn't get help either. I agree in principle that if you do stupid things you should pay, but it's probably best we operate on a no fault basis or where d the value judgements stop?

Jane10 Mon 01-Jun-20 13:10:02

MatCatWoman1 shock Your poor brother. I hope his insurance paid for it.

beverly10 Mon 01-Jun-20 13:11:35

OceanMama
Those who need assistance for injuries sustained from their own stupidity should be made to pay. Drink related injuries would be hard to prove that it was excess of drink that caused it and not the persons intention to do what eventually caused them an injury .The latter would be costly and no sensible person would' try it on'.

humptydumpty Mon 01-Jun-20 13:42:23

IMO the people on the beach who egged them on are also responsible, disgusting behaviour.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 01-Jun-20 14:07:28

I put my hands up to doing it when I was around 15. A group of us would go down to the bridge going over a river where the river was really deep and we use to jump into the the river from the railings. I use to sit on the railings as I was to scared to stand up and jump. My parents would have been horrified if they had known. Anyway, i can understand people doing it but now I am older and wiser I don't approve as i can see the risks. We don't charge people for health care due to drinking, drugs or anything else.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 15:09:00

Young people will always do stupid things. Luckily most survive to grow older and wiser. Let’s be kinder.

AGAA4 Mon 01-Jun-20 15:22:40

In one case 2 other young men risked their own lives to pull one of these tombstoners from the water. They saw what he was about to do and swam out to where he went in.

He would have lost his life if they hadn't done that, but I know young men in particular take some stupid risks.

Blinko Mon 01-Jun-20 15:34:00

Prisons are full of young men more stupid that wicked. Collectively they must cost the country a small fortune, whilst they're gaining some common sense - ie. growing up.

A pity their high spirits can't be directed to some good use.

Furret Mon 01-Jun-20 15:39:45

Blinko many do direct them to good.

quizqueen Mon 01-Jun-20 15:48:55

If they can't be charged for healthcare then charge them and fine them for disturbing the peace, needing a police callout to stop their behaviour for their own safety.

Molypolly1 Mon 01-Jun-20 15:57:19

They also put a lot of people on the beach in jeopardy as they had to bunch up to make way for the air ambulances and could not social distance. That is unbelievably selfish, not to mention that some people had to witness the consequences of their ridiculous actions. Not nice.

dizzyblonde Mon 01-Jun-20 20:35:36

Young people have always done things without thinking of their safety, it’s why they are a blessing during wartime. It has ever been thus.
They drive too fast, jump off things they shouldn’t but they also dive into water and run into burning buildings to rescue people.

Urmstongran Mon 01-Jun-20 20:42:40

My friend’s 20y old nephew died ‘tombstoning’ a few years ago. Awful death for his family to come to terms with. A daredevil boyish prank. Such a tragic waste of a young life. He was a twin too. As the other boy got older it was heartbreaking for him too.

MadCatWoman1 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:47:36

Jane10 He waited 6 years for the insurance pay-out - during which time, his then-wife had an affair and cleared off hmm. He's fine now, though, thanks.