Gransnet forums


noisy neighbours

(10 Posts)
moggie57 Sun 28-Jun-20 14:52:29

this is the second time i have had to complain to council about noisy neighbours .yes i can understand young boy age about 12 in the day time .screaming and shouting very loud voiced .but its more about the slamming of doors and loud voices from 7pm till 2-3 am in the evenings and early morning .its keeping me awake. i have tried putting cotton wool in my ears and it helps .but why should i. i hate loud noises ...i have already complained once. i thought about putting a note in their door, i dont think they realise just how loud they are. slam goes the door and all my flat shakes and me its making me a nervous wreck.i have emailed my tenacy officer again. the noise comes from the bedrooms area right under where i sleep.making me have bad headaches.any advise ..?i am keeping a diary of when this happens. today i want to lay on my bed because i have makings of a headache.and i'm so uptight...

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Jun-20 16:46:30

That must be awful for you moggie. When you emailed your tenancy officer before, did you get a response?

Thankfully we have never experienced this so I don't know what your options are but I think you can contact the council. As well as keeping a written diary which is an excellent idea, is there anyway you could record the noise?

Sorry I don't have any advice to give but I didn't want to not respond to your post.

Grannyben Sun 28-Jun-20 17:48:46

Over the last few weeks, there have been a couple of posts, relating to noisy neighbours. My opinion has always been that we need to show a bit of give and take. I say that because they have related to children playing (loudly) and workmen making excessive noise during the daytime.
I think yours is a different situation. It is completely unacceptable for your neighbours to be slamming doors and shouting until 2 to 3 am.
I do hope your Tenancy Officer can offer some help.

AGAA4 Sun 28-Jun-20 18:05:32

What an awful situation for you Moggie. Keeping a record of
times and noise levels is a good idea.

I would mention that this is making you ill as this noise is out of hours. After 11pm and before 7am is unacceptable noise.

annep1 Sun 28-Jun-20 19:05:13

I'm sorry Moggie. I hope you get sorted out.
When I have a problem I write and let the recipient know I have copied it to my MP. My MP is very good at helping with problems. Perhaps you could try that.

JenniferEccles Sun 28-Jun-20 23:14:07

There have been a few other threads recently about noisy neighbours. With people home more I guess a certain amount of extra noise is inevitable but that doesn’t make it any easier to tolerate.

I really feel for all of those suffering in this way.

I think it’s always best to try to sort it amicably if possible.

Have you tried calling round to politely explain the problem ?
Are they otherwise reasonable people?
It may well be that they have no idea how much the sound travels, and if you explain how it is keeping you awake at night, that might be enough to do the trick.

Otherwise there is Environmental Health, but it’s surely worth a try to appeal to them directly first.

annep1 Sun 28-Jun-20 23:21:33

I think she has already spoken to them.

JenniferEccles Sun 28-Jun-20 23:28:29

Oh has she? Sorry OP I didn’t notice.

I guess it’s the formal route then. I don’t know anything about the complaints procedures for council tenants but private tenants can be evicted if they cause a continual nuisance to neighbours.

jeanie99 Wed 01-Jul-20 04:35:40

I feel for you some people do not have any consideration for others.
If you live in a flat unfortunately noise does travel.
My son had neighbours who lived above him who allowed their children to constantly run around and jump making it horrendous for them.
The noisy neighbours were renting and he complained to the owner but little was done, DIL had an early chat with them but it was a waste of time they just didn't care.
Buy some ear plugs in the short term for the night, but I do think causing noise during the night is totally unacceptable and you shouldn't have to put up with this.
Yes keep a record and a recording if you can of the level of noise you are having to put up with.
Is this private or rented accommodation first port of call would be the owners of the accommodation.

LadyGracie Thu 02-Jul-20 09:24:51

Could you apply for a transfer to sheltered accommodation if you’re over 55, 50 in some cases.