Gransnet forums

AIBU

To find it odd that gransnet doesn't have a Feminism section?

(69 Posts)
flopen Sun 12-Jul-20 08:40:34

On mumsnet, a parallel site, the Feminism board is very active and I can't believe that older women aren't interested in this as well. So why no area for it?

Galaxy Sun 12-Jul-20 16:10:51

I think it's often the opposite I think women often come to feminism later in life. I know I did.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 16:13:25

I don’t think I’m bland Greeneyed girl. I don’t knit, make birthday cards or bake cakes. I’m interested in current affairs and politics.

However we all bring something to the table.

A separate thread means it would be easier to swerve. I avoid ‘gardening’ and ‘games’ for example. And ‘feminism’ when/if there is such a forum!
?

Doodledog Sun 12-Jul-20 16:15:42

I knot, and I've never been accused of being bland confused

Doodledog Sun 12-Jul-20 16:15:54

I also knit grin

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jul-20 16:19:45

But why should it be swerved, if everyone s on it to just agree that’s why I think it’s more important to keep it general then you get agreers and disagreers if you just have one board for it everyone will just be in agreement and those that aren’t will swerve it like I do with the games etc

Helennonotion Sun 12-Jul-20 16:19:48

Hahah Doodledog In my case, any attempts at knitting invariably end up as knots. grin grin

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-20 16:20:17

I never look at which forum a thread is in, except for the games which don’t interest me.

I just look at the thread title and open it if it sounds good.

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-20 16:21:29

I don’t think that because there isn’t a specific forum for feminist subjects, it actually stops people posting about feminism.

Grandma70s Sun 12-Jul-20 16:31:13

I take feminism for granted. My mother, born 1907, was quietly feminist. It’s in my blood.

BlueSky Sun 12-Jul-20 16:57:23

Grandma70s

I take feminism for granted. My mother, born 1907, was quietly feminist. It’s in my blood.

Same here Grandma70 I was one in the 60's before it became fashionable, same for anti race, gender, age discrimination.

Doodledog Sun 12-Jul-20 17:01:42

It's always dangerous to take things like that for granted, though. Apparently women's career prospects have been very badly affected by the lockdown, as they have, on the whole, lost their childcare, and are usually the ones doing the bulk of looking after children whilst also trying to educate them and work from home.

It's things like that which we need to keep vigilant about, or we (as a sex) can lose gains very quickly. And don't get me started about men self-defining as women!

Madgran77 Sun 12-Jul-20 17:06:40

Definitely worth suggesting.

Galaxy Sun 12-Jul-20 17:36:28

If people think that the feminist board would be everyone agreeing with each other then they have probably never been involved in a discussion on feminismgrin

sodapop Sun 12-Jul-20 17:38:50

Same here janeainsworth I expect many others do that.

Wonder how the male members posters on this site feel about it.

NanKate Sun 12-Jul-20 17:47:17

I agree with equality but I am not sure if that is the same as Feminism ??

I avoid contentious threads as I am usually shot down in flames. ??

Sparklefizz Sun 12-Jul-20 17:56:37

Me too, NanKate. I've been insulted and sworn at and called a liar and a racist. I'm neither and don't want the hassle.

Loislovesstewie Sun 12-Jul-20 18:06:40

If you agree with equality of the sexes then you are a feminist. In my book anyway.

Galaxy Sun 12-Jul-20 18:09:18

You see if we had a feminist section we could talk about that Loissmile

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-20 18:13:49

What‘s stopping you posting that question under Chat or Ask a Gran or whatever, Galaxy?
Is it simply that those forums have a frivolous connotation and you feel Feminism deserves a rather more serious and thoughtful image?

Galaxy Sun 12-Jul-20 18:17:07

I suppose you could say that about any subject jane, why isnt politics under chat etc.
I have always assumed ask a gran was asking for advice. I have never really looked st that section.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jul-20 18:18:24

Nothing stopping you talking about it now lois

Iam64 Sun 12-Jul-20 18:44:22

Yep anyone who believes a feminist board would result in everyone agreeing has never been involved in the Wimins movement, never been in a wimin's group, even a Women's group, consciousness raising. Never been involved in setting up a Women's refuge, a refuge for teenage girls running away from abuse.
Certainly never been involved in a discussion about the trans issues.
Yes let's ask base control for a feminist board.

Galaxy Sun 12-Jul-20 18:50:33

I think flopen has done it Iam64.

grumppa Sun 12-Jul-20 19:45:02

Feminist issues crop up regularly on all sorts of threads, so one problem might be a duplication of threads dealing with the same issues - even more than happens already. Those who follow feminism on Mumsnet may have a view on this.

Would there be discussions on the philosophy, history, and politics of feminism, with practical issues carrying on as usual in the other topic threads?

Incidentally, I don’t think there is any more misogyny on Gransnet than there is misandry. And as I believe in equality between the sexes I would claim to be a feminist myself.

Somebody asked what the men thought, hence my contribution. And please don’t accuse me of mansplaining!

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Jul-20 21:01:23

Wasn’t feminism one of the forums, or included in one, when GN first started? And then things got reorganised?

It certainly was, janea. One of my first posts was a light-hearted one about a comment DH made about my writing skills. It got a flurry of stern and critical responses about how awful he was (he really isn’t grin), and I think someone actually suggested I LTB, a la Mumsnet. It was only then I realised I’d posted in the Feminism forum. That must have been in 2012.