Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour problem

(126 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 12-Jul-20 09:30:10

We live in a block of flats. Most are owner occupied but there are a few long term tenants. We all get on well and there has been lots of friendly interaction especially over the lockdown. However, an invitation has been circulated inviting people to a summer party to which people are asked to contribute financially. This is an annual event organised, we and others had thought, by the residents committee but it turns out that it isn't-the organiser gives the impression that it is. The problem for us is that only owners of flats have been invited. The tenants are excluded from this event which is held in the communal areas and the garden. To access their homes they will have to walk through the party. We have asked that the tenants be invited but have been given a flat no by the organiser. It seems so unfair and so divisive. When we asked why they can't come we were given various unconvincing excuses and we can only conclude that this person objects to tenants on principle as they are perfectly nice, friendly people.
Are we wrong to try to rock the boat on this subject? As it stands we won't be going to this party. Any suggestions as to courses of action?

Callistemon Sun 19-Jul-20 22:41:15

Well done

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 22:20:10

Oh yes. Still have some ruffled feathers to smooth with the organiser but she'll have to like it or lump it.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Jul-20 18:17:14

the team? That's an.... proof read, proof read, proof read

Chewbacca Sun 19-Jul-20 18:03:45

Oh well done Jane10, the team excellent result. Will you be attending the event now that everyone is included?

flopen Sun 19-Jul-20 17:59:12

Brilliant. Justice has prevailed

eazybee Sun 19-Jul-20 17:19:53

Oh, good result!
Hope you enjoy it.

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:16:45

Update: the chairman of the committee has come down off the fence and clearly stated that this event must be open to ALL residents and offered to pay for it from funds!
Hooray. DH's private word seems to have worked. Meeting to discuss next week. Phew. And relax...

Jane10 Tue 14-Jul-20 10:53:29

Me too*eazybee*!

eazybee Tue 14-Jul-20 09:24:30

The point is, the organiser has been asked to invite all residents and has given a flat no.
I don't know why this incident bothers me, but it does.

kjmpde Tue 14-Jul-20 08:50:27

You say all have been asked to contribute. So l hope you don't. If communal gardens then make sure you walk through several times. Yes it is pettty but so are the organisers. Fight fire with fire.

Curlywhirly Tue 14-Jul-20 08:04:28

Well, from an alcohol licensing perspective, the organiser better make sure she has a licence to sell alcohol! It is an offence to take payment to provide alcohol without a licence. She cannot even say that you are paying for a ticket to the event and the alcohol is provided free, it is still deemed a sale.

moggie57 Tue 14-Jul-20 00:41:26

If its comnunal then you can attend whether invited or not.comnunal gardens are for everyone in the flats.point this out.

Jane10 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:58:46

Yes we're asking and will continue to ask up to the event.

Evie64 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:58:26

That's outrageous! How dare they! I agree with previous comments, snobs!

GrannyAnnie2010 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:08:00

eazybee

*We're not going to go unless all residents are invited*

How are you planning to achieve that?

By asking the question?

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 19:56:56

Hyacinth.

eazybee Mon 13-Jul-20 19:56:53

We're not going to go unless all residents are invited

How are you planning to achieve that?

Jane10 Mon 13-Jul-20 18:53:44

No there's no formal agreement regarding use of communal spaces. The organiser is one of those bossy people who like to be in charge. Others are happy to sit back and let her organise everything and everybody. There's always one!

Tanjamaltija Mon 13-Jul-20 18:41:13

Isn't it that they have to have everyone's signature if they hold an event on / in common areas? I think the organiser is banking on the fact that people don't know this, and using his position to dupe people into thinking it's an official event. What is he gaining by this? Money? Popularity? Power?

Jane10 Mon 13-Jul-20 17:11:15

Sgilly we're not tenants. We own our flat and do have an invitation. We're not going to go unless all residents are invited.

Sgilley Mon 13-Jul-20 16:39:15

How divisive and snobby. I definitely wouldn’t go and would make sure the other ‘tenants’ know about the exclusion. Really nasty.

Nicolaed Mon 13-Jul-20 16:20:11

It's a very divisive action but if I was a tennant I'd be counting my blessings as a big party at the present time - no thanks.

Retired65 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:00:36

Disgraceful but my first thought is this party allowed under current government guidelines? If not you could report them when the party happens.

Jane10 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:58:16

We are going to boycott this event. I dont want the tenants to know about the situation as that would be hurtful. Knowing the organiser I wouldn't be surprised if she secretly invited the tenants and didnt tell us so we wouldn't go! Mapp and Lucia have nothing on us here!

Scooty413 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:31:22

I completely agree with Flopen.