Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think footballers taking the knee is hypocritical?

(117 Posts)
flopen Mon 13-Jul-20 09:09:19

My DH watches football a lot. It really gets on my nerves to see footballers taking the knee in support of BLM at the start of a match when I've not heard one of them protest against the working conditions of those building the stadium for the World Cup in Qatar, which amount to slavery.
They're happy to make meaningless gestures but indifferent to issues which they could actively do something about.

25Avalon Fri 17-Jul-20 19:24:02

We have solar panels and have installed a battery storage unit so we can store the electricity made and use it when the sun isn’t shining. Battery storage units are storing more and taking up less space so renewables could be possible. Modern technology is moving fast on this.

Ilovecheese Fri 17-Jul-20 18:16:55

Hinkley point won't be ready any time soon, though, if ever.

Any idea what grannypiper was talking about?

flopen Fri 17-Jul-20 17:11:07

yes, but we aren't there yet. Maybe one day it'll be the answer, probably quite soon. But we need power now.

Eloethan Fri 17-Jul-20 17:09:36

What?!!

grannypiper Fri 17-Jul-20 16:02:09

Those being trafficked into our country benefits some of the young men that are taking the knee. Cheap sex sells.

Ilovecheese Fri 17-Jul-20 15:54:10

The technology is improving all the time. it is now possible to store renewable energy in much greater amounts than it was in 2015.

I am sorry I don't know how to do links but the following is a small quote from the website www.sciencedirect.com

"Contemporary technologies include pumped hydro storage (PHS), compressed air energy storage (CAES), fuel cells and hydrogen storage (FC-HS), flywheels, supercapacitors (SCs), superconducting magnetic energy storage (SMES) and various battery systems."

This is where our country could start to be world leaders in this technology, if we just grasp the chance. otherwise we will end up buying renewable energy from other countries who have put much more investment into storage solutions.

We have the brainpower and science in this country, we just need to have confidence and be forward looking.
Nuclear power is yesterdays solution.

flopen Fri 17-Jul-20 15:27:08

I didn't think that the technology existed to do this. Which is one of the problems with renewables.

www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/03/where-can-renewable-energy-be-stored/

Furret Fri 17-Jul-20 15:07:56

Even though Trump is under the impression that your TV won’t work if there’s no wind (no pun intended) most of us know that energy can be stored.

flopen Fri 17-Jul-20 15:02:55

That's what I enjoy about these discussions. Like real life ones, they can end up in a different place from where they started

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 14:55:22

Well, I thought it was about renewable energy sources then looked at the thread title!

flopen Fri 17-Jul-20 14:51:43

Does it matter?

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 12:50:07

How did the thread get on to this?

flopen Fri 17-Jul-20 12:46:14

Well, I'm sure we'd all like that. But the fact is that renewables do not offer consistent supplies of energy. For a wind farm to even begin to match the output of a traditional power station , it would have to be enormous

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 10:49:44

Hinckley Point worries me!
I'd rather have had the Barrage.
DH often mutters about it, he is in favour of tidal and wave power.

25Avalon Fri 17-Jul-20 08:29:46

You’re right Callistemon I do mean the Severn Barrage. I was thinking initially of the large tidal wave, the Severn Bore but that is not all year round. I think the environmental concerns cab be overcome but the government did not want the expenditure at the time. The cost of Hinckley Point keeps going up and is not actually a cheap option. I also think of the Japanese nuclear power station disaster. Japan no longer builds them.

Callistemon Thu 16-Jul-20 23:46:20

25Avalon

How about harnessing the Severn Bore? Or if I remember rightly there was a tidal scheme for Swansea Bay which would have produced plenty of renewable energy but was chucked out as being too expensive. What price the planet?

There were other reasons why the Swansea scheme was rejected.

Do you mean the Severn Barrage, 25Avalon?
There were protests on ecological grounds but many still think it should go ahead.

Eloethan Thu 16-Jul-20 23:38:02

Although the Swansea scheme was initially rejected, I believe it is now going ahead.

flopen Thu 16-Jul-20 14:56:41

It was stalled and eventually rejected because of green concerns about the effect on the environment

25Avalon Thu 16-Jul-20 13:11:24

How about harnessing the Severn Bore? Or if I remember rightly there was a tidal scheme for Swansea Bay which would have produced plenty of renewable energy but was chucked out as being too expensive. What price the planet?

flopen Thu 16-Jul-20 08:44:17

good point eleothan

The reason why I focus on footballers is because there is such a direct link between their virtue signalling (as I see it) and the fact that the same men will be prepared to play in Qatar.

I recognise that we are all complicit in this. But you very rarely see such a direct link.

Abut renewables. There is investment already in renewables. But they can't take the place of traditional power production. There's an app (sorry, forgotton which) which shows, in real time, demand for power in the UK, and production, broken down into sources. Renewables are always fluctuating, whereas coal, gas, and nuclear are constant. We can't rely on renewables.

Spain uses renewables to a larger extent, but also has to have a traditional back up, just in case. It's finding it very difficult to fund both of these.

I

Eloethan Thu 16-Jul-20 00:13:22

flopen This sounds like just an excuse for doing nothing - perhaps because you don't support or have much sympathy for the BLM movement.

Is it only acceptable to support a campaign if you also support every other campaign relating to abuses of human rights? I would think that would take up every minute of a person's life because there are so many examples of human rights abuses.

Qatar is just one of thousands of examples of exploitation. So are you saying, if you can't protest about every abuse of human rights, every incidence of cruelty to animals, etc, etc then you shouldn't protest about any, and if you do you are a hypocrite?

If a commitment is not made, and money is not put into developing renewables then it will always be "not yet". It's been "not yet" for decades and while other countries are making great leaps forward we lag behind.

flopen Wed 15-Jul-20 23:06:50

We'll have to agree to differ.
Maybe in the future renewables will be the answer, but not yet.

Ilovecheese Wed 15-Jul-20 23:04:01

Not any more it isn't flopen it is overpriced and old fashioned. Renewables are the future. Cleaner and cheaper.

flopen Wed 15-Jul-20 22:57:43

Unfortunately, nuclear power is far more efficient than renewables.

Furret Wed 15-Jul-20 22:31:21

flopen

the trouble is that we need more power stations but can't afford to build them.

We don’t need more dirty power stations we need more clean renewables. And we could have afforded to build more.