Gransnet forums

AIBU

MASKS

(142 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:03:52

Good morning everyone.

My question today is what are peoples opinions of wearing a mask ?

I will explain my opinion. I k ow they are necessary, I understand their purpose and despite not feeling comfortable in the slightest wearing one, I am on the understanding that I would rather wear one than catch the virus, but the whole situation has left me avoiding going shops or generally out and about and I have to agree with a report I read this a.m that others such as myself, will be drawn to online shopping opposed to trailing round shops, and then WHERE does that leave the high street ?

In the meantime, when its necessary to go out ( food shopping, petrol station) I will wear my mask, but other than the necessary public places, I will refrain.

[Smile]

Puzzled Sat 12-Sep-20 15:53:00

Based on the false assumption that everyone is Covid +
In that way the Covid free majority do not infect the many others who are Covid free.
Politicians may have studied Greek, but not Logic

TerriBull Tue 01-Sep-20 17:23:09

I have been wearing a mask in shops before the lockdown, well I believe it's compulsory now anyway. Having recently cancelled a holiday to Portugal, my husband confessed that he would have hated to wear the mask for the duration of however long it took from stepping inside Gatwick Airport to arrival at destination hotel, during which time travellers are no doubt required to have their masks on. Long haul doesn't bear thinking about! I hadn't really thought that through, not a problem now, but maybe in the future as I did rebook flights for next year. When I did think of having to wear a mask for say hours, it made me feel a bit panicky, given I'm relieved to pull my mask off as soon as I get out of the supermarket and safely away from others in the car park.

MerylStreep Tue 01-Sep-20 15:45:42

Most of my shopping is done on line. OH does the food shopping.
I wear a mask when I have to out of respect for others fears.
I've had my nails done twice since we got back to some normality. I hated it. So much so that I've got on order all the paraphernalia to do my own. First thing came today, the drying lamp. Can't wait for the rest.

boodymum67 Tue 01-Sep-20 15:25:48

I don't think it`s a problem having several threads about masks. Maybe people don't spot a post about them. If they are annoying to anyone, you can always skip past them!

I think masks outdoors and in shops is going to be the new fashion accessory. I have made around 60 for charities, friends and family.

If you have difficulty breathing, then you can get an exemption card on line.

I only get out once a week and enjoy browsing in shops. I am doing less of it nowadays. Shopping on line doesn't give me the same boost, but I do it when I have too.

I am sad to see the decline of the high street...this covid has put the final nail in the coffin for a lot of businesses.

Taliya Tue 04-Aug-20 15:33:44

I personally don't think face masks make that much difference to the transmission of the virus, but that is just my personal opinion. If I have to go in a shop to pay for petrol at a garage then of course I will wear a face mask but I've stopped shopping in shops at the moment and do all my shopping online because shopping in shops now is anxiety inducing and soul destroying.

susie14 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:51:29

I ventured out last week having shielded for some time and was surprised that no staff in M&S were wearing masks and yet everyone in the nearby Sainsbury's was masked up.

I felt so uncomfortable that it will be a while before I venture back in store.

Tweedle24 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:27:41

Serendipity22 You’ve got it. It took me a while to sort that one out

Serendipity22 Mon 03-Aug-20 20:17:37

thank you Tweedle24

Do you mean like that ! Hahaha

Thank you smile

Tweedle24 Mon 03-Aug-20 15:11:50

Sorry, Lucca

Lucca Mon 03-Aug-20 13:21:57

Tweedle24

Lucca Put an asterisk either side of the word you wish to be bold

I Know.... I think you meant Serendipity

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 03-Aug-20 11:09:07

A very irritating occurrence recently: went into my local Tesco express recently for petrol for the motorbike and a couple of food items. Been going for years, well known there and often asked by the staff where I'm going or have been on the bike and never been asked to remove my helmet. This week, was told I would have to take it off - duh, that IS my face covering - a hard shell coveting the face, mouth, chin, eyes, with a hard visor is far more effective than a cloth covering! Oh well, there will now be a queue behind me at the pumps while I firstly take the helmet off, wrap it in a over so that the inside doesn't get contaminated by someone coughing near it while it's hung upside down on the bike's helmet lock. secure it to the bike, remove the helmet intercom intercom so that it does not get pinched while I'm gone, find something else to put over my face to go in and pay for the petrol, then a similar delay in reverse when I come back out before I can ride away! Oh well, their choice.....

Tweedle24 Sat 01-Aug-20 14:02:00

Lucca Put an asterisk either side of the word you wish to be bold

Lucca Wed 29-Jul-20 18:36:32

In the supermarket just now I saw a gorgeous little baby in a trolley giggling helplessly at his dad in his mask. The only infectious thing there was his laugh!

Serendipity22 Wed 29-Jul-20 17:52:35

I dont know how to make my wording BOLD ..........

Any advice ? :-) smilesmile

Serendipity22 Wed 29-Jul-20 17:51:22

Well it's a brilliant name ....ThefrugalPiggy hahahaha....

I can only say I agree to being frugal..... as for the nick name "piggy" I will leave that ......hahahahaha

Tweedle24 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:35:25

Taliya I thought for a minute you were avoiding another sort of infection! ?

TheFrugalPiggy Tue 28-Jul-20 22:09:31

Serendipity22 thank you so much for saying you liked my name. I wanted to use a name which reflected me as much as possible. Firstly I'm into Frugality, self sufficiency etc. Secondly my husband's nickname for me is Piggy.

Taliya Tue 28-Jul-20 15:41:16

Sorry that should have read 'gyms' not 'gums'!

Taliya Tue 28-Jul-20 15:39:58

I personally don't think face masks actually reduce transmission of the virus. I wear face masks obviously in shops or other places that require them but Im doing most of my shopping online from now on. I was shouted at by another shopper today (I was wearing a mask) for apparently coming within a few cm of the 2 meter rule ! I think social distancing and hand sanitizer were enough to bring down infection rates over the last month. You don't have to wear face masks in libraries, gums, pubs, leisure centres, schools, cafes, restaurants etc. I think the government brought the mandatory rule for face mask wearing in shops because it wanted people to shop more and feel safer.

SusieFlo Tue 28-Jul-20 15:29:01

A mask stops you spreading the virus so if everyone wears one nobody will be spreading it.....

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:03:37

I have worn a mask every time I cross the German border to go shopping or to go to Mass.

I have found them far less troublesome with regards to glasses steaming up than I had anticipated.

If shop assistents in some shops don't have to wear masks and other do, surely you can just refuse to shop where they don't wear them. That will get them into masks quickly .

Serendipity22 Tue 28-Jul-20 12:09:29

Thank you to all for your views .... appreciated......

Enjoy your day and on positive note, we should all be proud for following guidelines, protecting each and everyone of us and together we WILL prevail.....

smile

Tweedle24 Tue 28-Jul-20 10:54:06

halfpint You are right, of course but, I think the point I was trying to make is that wearing a mask is primarily showing consideration for others.

Lucca Tue 28-Jul-20 07:48:45

Sorry Spangler in that case ! I kind of meant “you” in the sense of “one”.

Spangler Tue 28-Jul-20 07:45:55

Lucca

Have absolutely no comprehension of why you would need to make a protest, it’s for your own good for heavens sake.

Perhaps my posts are ambiguous, it's not me that's making a protest, just sending up those that do. I will try to be clearer in future.