Gransnet forums

AIBU

A rant about people who dump litter in our drive

(52 Posts)
Romola Fri 31-Jul-20 12:52:53

This morning I went to take in our dustbin, and beside it I found a new expensive Sainsbury's bag full of empty beer bottles, cans, sandwich wrappers and a cigarette packet. How can people be so rude as to dump rubbish on other people's property? Why can't they take it home?
We live in a lane which is part of probably the nicest walk in this town, and we do know we have to share it. But during the pandemic it has become so crowded with walkers and cyclists that we have been avoiding walking in the lane ourselves. And to have that rubbish dumped on our drive is just the limit.

4allweknow Sun 02-Aug-20 10:51:16

Taichanin It's due to the increase in takeaways. 50 years ago yes there were fish and chip shops. The odd burger bar did exist but a lot of those were "sit in". Car use has increased hence the drive throughs. Even in the 70s it was rare to see people walking or sitting in a street stuffing their face. Nowadays it's the done thing. No wonder there is an obesity problem.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 02-Aug-20 10:58:22

Actually, I prefer people putting things in the right bin here, rather than leaving beer cans and dog dirt lying for me to clear up.

However, I do understand why you feel annoyed at having to clear up after others.

Perhaps we should start a facebook campaign: Take your rubbish home!

Mercedes65 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:00:54

My sister leaves her bin outside the back door. Her neighbour has 3 children one in nappies, leans over the fence, lifts the lid on my sisters bin and dumps her waste food and nappies in to her bin. When challenged she says her bins are full and my sister ( widowed and living alone) has nearly empty bins so she uses hers. I told my sister to tell neighbour to stop immediately as it was cross contamination.

Aepgirl Sun 02-Aug-20 11:12:19

Who thinks that anybody would want somebody else’s rubbish! Totally rude.

Tibbs Sun 02-Aug-20 11:17:48

As has been mentioned elsewhere if car registrations were put on takeaways the people who leave litter could be traced.

Annaram1 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:21:14

Some years ago I went to put some rubbish in my bin and discovered that someone had put in a brand new box of kitchen knives, minus one knife. My collection of knives was sadly inadequate so I was quite pleased!

Taichinan Sun 02-Aug-20 11:59:24

Good idea "Tibbs* - if everyone was honest!!

annodomini Sun 02-Aug-20 12:03:32

Occasionally my younger neighbours have asked to put some of their refuse in my bin, but not until the evening before the collection was due. Then they asked the Council for a bigger bin. They are wonderful neighbours.

Jaye53 Sun 02-Aug-20 12:07:03

we should be like Thailand where they get jailed for spitting and littering and throwing chewing yuk gum on floor !

Chino Sun 02-Aug-20 12:10:32

It seems to be happening everywhere, can't understand why unless it is some sort of rebellion against what is going on

timetogo2016 Sun 02-Aug-20 12:12:20

Romalo,you could put CCTV up and report it to the police.
BUT,i do have to say,at least they aren`t leaving it on the grass and it`s in a bag even though it`s annoying.

Lollin Sun 02-Aug-20 12:27:24

Tibbs that is an excellent idea! Dominoes Pizza and maybe some others do it already but it's a sticky label which you could tear off but it seems to me that all takeaways could write in large marker something to help identify anyone who drops their takeaway packaging linked to some kind of loyalty card so the person wouldn't guve false information. The amount of time and money companies spend on marketing they have no excuse to help stop this.

Milest0ne Sun 02-Aug-20 12:29:00

We have togo 1/2 a mile down the drive/bridleway to our bins. The bin men will not take rubbish which is not in council supplied bags, If walkers and dog walkers have put loose rubbish in our bins, they are not emptied. Some people are coming from out of the neighbourhood and putting rubbish in "wrong " coloured bags in our bins. Why they can't go to the council tip 1/2 a mile away I will never understand.

JuliaM Sun 02-Aug-20 12:38:35

We have a problem with people dumping their waste from the local takeaway in our bins as they walk by. The problem.is that sometimes they dump.itinto our Garden waste bin before we spot it, then when the bin men come to empty itearly the next morning they refuse to take it with the offending rubbish in it, and leave it full until their next visit a fornight later. We then have to find somewhere else to tip our grass cuttings other than in our bin, and dispose of other peoples illegally dumped takeaway wrappings at the same time!

justwokeup Sun 02-Aug-20 13:43:53

If your bin was full Romola, I wonder if they thought the dustbin men would take it from the side of the bin? Ours have been taking bagged up rubbish left beside the bin during lockdown as many people couldn't go to the recycling site. They have only just stopped doing it and it's been such a good service. You are very patient though, I couldn't have recycled someone else's rubbish. Neither could I drop it - well trained from being small due to dire consequences! Although I wouldn't ever condone physical punishment, lack of consequences of any sort, I am sure, leads to littering and much worse behaviour.

Alioop Sun 02-Aug-20 13:47:25

I had a phantom rubbish dumper every time I put my bin out. They used to put takeaway food containers, etc into my bin for garden waste and I could of got a fine for it if the binmen had done their random checks for not recycling it all properly. They were just too lazy to wash it all out and put it in their own correct bin. Drove me crazy, but I have moved since and often wonder are they doing it now to the new people....

jenpax Sun 02-Aug-20 14:10:12

On my local plastic free group a lady took a picture of a van driver throwing his Mac Donald’s rubbish onto the road by the beach, the group admin emailed the company (a local one) and sent them the picture pointing out that not only is littering illegal but that their employee was harming their company reputation as they market themselves as an environmentally friendly one! Their CEO instituted immediate disciplinary action against said employee! I hope more companies do this and that more resources are put into catching litter droppers and other polluters corporate or individual.

Joesoap Sun 02-Aug-20 14:13:19

Can you put your bin inside your property,until it is time to leave it out for collection?

Kaggi60 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:29:31

We ordered a skip filled it up went to bed then we got up someone took the whole lot. We filled it back up again next day we did not ordered the other skip what was booked.

GreenGran78 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:31:27

My neighbours and myself have an agreement. If we have no room in one of our bins we simply pop the excess into someone else’s, on collection day. This is very useful if we have a lot of packaging, or an excess of garden waste, for example. We always make sure that it goes in the correct bin, and doesn’t mess it up.
We have a large area of common land opposite our houses, used by many people for recreation. Sadly, we get a lot of dog-fouling and litter. People hang their bags of poo on bushes, or throw them into the undergrowth. Teenagers meet up in quiet spots and leave food wrappers, cans and bottles everywhere. There are four large litter bins spread around the area, but people are too lazy to walk to them.
Luckily we have a dedicated team of litter-pickers, but it shouldn’t be necessary. Some people are such pigs!

sparklingsilver28 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:55:02

The problem began with take-away food and litter louts the consequence. Unfortunately, after years of "acceptance" of the obnoxious behaviour of eating on the street, trying to police it now almost impossible. I do agree, however, informing the police of the vehicle number when litter thrown from a vehicle a step in the right direction. Like many things in this so called progressive world laziness all too common.

Daffonanna Sun 02-Aug-20 17:23:55

I really think this country needs to address this distressing attitude as it’s getting worse . Maybe we could have designated workforce to educate and inform and enforce as well as clear , funded by a tax on the worst offending takeaways and drinks providers. If they had to raise prices to allow for tax maybe they would be more willing to be part of the solution . Creative solutions to other problems have been found recently .

Kryptonite Sun 02-Aug-20 23:34:46

I feel sorry for the volunteers who pick up all the cr- I mean rubbish. But do you think it just encourages the litter louts to continue, because they know someone else will always clear it up? What if the litter was just left where it is for a while, in public places anyway? Much like car wrecks are sometimes left to warn people to drive safely. What hope is there though if children are taught it's ok to drop litter? At our school, litter picking in the playground is used as a form 'punishment' for naughty children - and there is always plenty to pick up despite the bins provided!

craftynan Mon 03-Aug-20 10:42:32

Annaram1 I don’t know whether I’ve got an overactive imagination, but when I read your post about finding the knife block minus one knife I immediately thought you should have phoned the police in case the missing knife had been used to murder someone! I’ve probably been watching too many crime dramas during lockdowngrin

Jellybeetles Mon 03-Aug-20 21:20:27

Mercedes65 your sister needs to make the fence taller or failing that add a boxing glove on a spring so when the woman opens the bin she gets an unexpected surprise. ???