Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU dogs on beaches

(136 Posts)
Scissordolly Fri 14-Aug-20 09:46:12

My friend and I took a picnic to the beach. We found a socially distanced space. Beside us was a family with two dogs. The dog poo in a bag was set on the seawall to be disposed of later. I covered dog poo which was sitting on the sand near us with sand. Another family came and the little boy started to dig a hole in the sand as kids do.luckily not where the poo was but it could have been. I didn't find the afternoon enjoyable.
Nearly everyone had a dog!
On the IOM dogs are allowed on beaches till 10pm and then after 9pm during the summer months which I think is a good idea. Anyone agree?

PamelaJ1 Wed 30-Sep-20 18:24:17

We have a wonderful beach near us that has an area that allows dogs and an area for humans only.
The bit for humans comes first and is reached by a little bridge with a big sign- a dogs face with a cross on it warns dog owners off. By this time they have already passed a couple of signs that direct them to the dog part. Some obey the sign but a lot ignore it.
I like dogs but some people don’t, there is room for all. Most dog owners are brilliant some are not. Such is life??‍♀️

Hollyhock1 Wed 30-Sep-20 18:12:37

I like to see dogs enjoying the sea and playing ball, etc. However, I always feel a bit sorry for the dogs on beaches, sat in very hot temperatures looking thoroughly miserable. Same applies when I see them being walked around busy shopping areas, etc.

Fennel Wed 30-Sep-20 18:06:45

No I haven't MayBe - we don't live there now, just visit sometimes to recall old memories.
I wouldn't worry about Blyth's infection rate if you're just walking on the beach - the fresh NE wind will clear the air.

MayBee70 Wed 30-Sep-20 17:04:14

Fennel: have you seen the dolphins at Blyth? We wanted to go there the other week but heard that the infection rate in that area was high so decided against it.

Fennel Wed 30-Sep-20 12:03:04

Sinkholes are a risk for dogs - and humans - on beaches
Blyth beach - my hometown -is a normally a beautiful stretch of sand but a year ago a sinkhole appeared:
www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/cordon-place-after-huge-sinkhole-17049085
We were walking along there just a week later and dogs were still running around.
I think it's due to a land drain which overflows when tides are very high. The sand has been soft there since I was young. I was once riding a pony there and he sank into the sand - luckily managed to scramble out.

Ellianne Wed 30-Sep-20 11:38:23

This is our dog friendly part of the beach last weekend. Hardly a human in sight. Plenty of poo bins too.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 11:29:19

Scissordolly it's probably far easier to find a beach where dogs are banned than to go to one which allows dogs.
I'm not sure why people who object to dogs would take a picnic to a dog friendly beach.

Anyway, it's not the dogs who can be a nuisance - it's the owners.

lemongrove Wed 30-Sep-20 11:13:22

GagaJo

My favorite beach is a dog beach. It’s not often I find dog poo.

I love a beach with dogs on it. Running, swimming, barking. I don’t have a dog so love watching other people’s.

Same here, I love watching them bouncing about excitedly.
Many beaches do apply dog restrictions in busy Summer months, which is fair enough.

Hetty58 Wed 30-Sep-20 10:54:52

I think some beaches should be permanently dog free and others dog friendly. There will always be irresponsible owners who don't clear up after them - especially if there's nobody around.

Just this morning, I've managed to tread in something while walking my dog. My trainers are waiting outside to be cleaned (when I feel up to it). It's disgusting!

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 10:50:44

I feel the pandemic has brought out the worst in many people
It has, hasn't it Maybee.
Littering was a problem but never this bad.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 10:48:53

Ellianne

I agree that dog poo is disgusting wherever. It doesn't take a lot to bag it up quickly.
On our beaches there are designated dog areas in the summer.

That is the best idea.

Some beaches popular with tourists should be dog free but having a beach allocated for responsible dog owners with families is ideal

I know where you mean, Ellianne. Our family enjoyed time there this summer - they are responsible dog owners and the children had fun with the dog on the one beach.

MayBee70 Wed 30-Sep-20 10:14:46

I’m a dog owner and love walking my dog on the beach but I,too have a problem with dog owners. Our dog has been attacked by other dogs several times, always when she’s on a lead which she is most of the time. People let their dogs run up to ours which sets her off (she gets over excited and wants to play with them whereas DH and I panic because it brings back the memory of the attacks: it ruins our walk because my heart will still be pounding for a long time afterwards). Their owners seem to have no comprehension that if someone’s dog is on a lead it’s because the owners don’t want it interacting with other dogs. We rarely gat an apology. The beach is clean but the dunes are full of poo (both dog and human). Dog owners should have some sort of code of conduct. It’s wrong that responsible dog owners and their dogs should suffer because of those people that don’t think of others. Don’t know if it’s just me (DH agrees with me though) but I feel the pandemic has brought out the worst in many people and the sort of people walking on our local beach post lockdown seem to have different standard to the ones that used to be there.

jaylucy Wed 30-Sep-20 10:09:43

Doesn't matter where dogs are allowed to go - it's the owners that are responsible for picking up the poo they leave behind!

Grandmafrench Wed 30-Sep-20 10:05:43

The More I Learn About People, The More I Love My Dogs

1st October tomorrow - not been allowed to walk our dogs on our beaches for an extended time this year, so from noon, 17 March until 1st October......one half of a year. We shall be there with leads, a flask and endless poo bags for a truly enjoyable walk next to the Med'. ( Dogs aren't left to run wild because of the risks of them eating rubbish left by humans.)

So looking forward to a return to a normal routine!

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Sep-20 10:04:17

I think dogs on leads as a compromise.

Shropshirelass Wed 30-Sep-20 09:50:27

My dogs love a run on the beach and a paddle in the sea, they are well behaved, don't bother anyone or other dogs. I clean up after them wherever I am and either put it in a bin or take it home with me. My dogs are used to the countryside and a visit to the sea and a run on the beach is just as exciting and enjoyable as it is for a child. We enjoy walking on the beach with them. Let's concentrate on the dogless people who leave their plastic bottles and food wrappers on the beach wherever they sit. They are the culprits here.

gillybob Wed 19-Aug-20 22:36:26

Our “no dogs policy May-Sept” works very well too Ellianne and the regular patrols ensure that the beaches are left pristine . I walk on our beaches regularly all year round .

Luckygirl Wed 19-Aug-20 22:26:43

Not grumbling ValerieF - just asking that people stick to the rules and show consideration for others.

ValerieF Wed 19-Aug-20 20:43:31

Oh gawd...not been on here for a while but see it is still full of grumbling grannies who have nothing better to do than complain about dogs having fun! I absolutely LOVE children AND dogs having fun on the beach.

Ellianne Wed 19-Aug-20 14:47:16

Our Devon beach is a no dog area May - September, though there is a section further along where the dogs can go. We all observe the rules.
During the past few weeks, however, we have had holiday makers with their dogs paying no notice to this, just picnicking and playing on the beach. I have captured several on video when filming the grandchildren, but not much I can do.

Washerwoman Wed 19-Aug-20 14:38:49

Indeed .On just one short track into the woods this morning I collected 3 bottles ,4 cans ,several crisp packets,a fast food carton and two face masks.All picked up with a poo bag wrapped around my hand.Can't bear to leave them only to see more stuff in a few days time.

Chardy Wed 19-Aug-20 13:40:42

I have no interest in congregating with other dog owners. I walk my dog, sometimes with a friend, and we walk, we don't stand round chatting. It's exercise for me and for the dog. I pick up my dog's poo, and it goes in the bin. I will say good morning to other dog owners, and anyone else who makes eye-contact. I don't walk my dog when there are families in the beach, I walk her early every day in the hope of avoiding families, bikes, joggers and other dogs.
Do the instances reported here happen every day? Possibly some of them only ever happened once. However every nice weekend from Easter to October, the bins on the prom are overflowing with food, bottles, cans, pizza boxes etc and the mess is strewn all across the path because the gulls love that overflow. Who makes most mess? Who has no thought for others? Think about it.

maddyone Wed 19-Aug-20 11:30:34

Having said that I don’t like dogs, which I don’t, we will be taking care of our daughter’s dog when she goes on holiday. I’m okay with her dog, and will pat her a bit, and join my husband in taking her for a walk, on a lead, when the weather is fine. I’ll look after her, with my husband, properly and well. She’s a Labrador so has a lovely nature, but I agree to look after for my daughter, I’d be just as happy if she went into kennels, but daughter prefers her to be in a home. I’ve also offered to look after our son’s dog, but he normally asks his in laws, as they love having the dog.
I still don’t like dogs, but I put up with them because I love my children, not the dogs.
I don’t like other people’s dogs and would not touch them.

ayse Tue 18-Aug-20 19:45:21

In NZ, Auckland, dog access to the beach is restricted, short hours in the Summer and longer in the winter. At all other times dogs must be kept on their lead. It works very well, IMO.

Any poo on beaches or in any other public place is disgusting. Most dog owners pick up the poo and deposit it in public bins. The odd few just let their dogs go anywhere and don’t pick it up or alternatively pick it up in a plastic bag and then leave this on the path, in the bushes or I’ve seen these bags in trees.

I’m not a dog lover but it’s the owners, not the dogs who are at fault. There really are some disgusting people about.

aggie Tue 18-Aug-20 19:32:14

When you see where else they lick ? do you really want them slobbering all over you !