Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is GN getting too intrusive?

(57 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Fri 14-Aug-20 13:42:35

Opened GN this afternoonto find a large pop up message basically asking for consent for access to my device and all other devices in my household for advertising purposes, some I could block and some I couldn’t. I wasn’t able to bypass the pop up , I had to consent or not be allowed onto this site.
I don’t want GN to have access to my data or my family’s , I don’t mind the cookie as it lets me into GN without having to log in each time.
However I haven’t been given a choice, this means that I put up with it or I leave, I don’t want to do either.
I have attached some screen shots of the pop up message.(i might have used a photo twice! But last time I went back out of preview I lost the whole thing). Of course GN might delete this before anyone reads it. It’s annoying but this might be goodbye from me...... have you all had this message and hat have you decided to do about it? Are you happy for GN or their advertisers to be able to read every click on a website or App that you have in your home? I’m not.

EDIT by GNHQ: Please see more info on the new consent form here

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:37:31

The problem was as far as I am concerned is that we had no option for some of the stuff.

Feel very uncomfortable about that.

FarNorth Fri 14-Aug-20 14:38:47

'All other devices in the household'?
It will also snoop on devices belonging to relatives who live with me?

GNHQ need to explain this to us properly, not with a lot of jargon.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 14:39:09

GNHQ - where are you?

I shall see what they have to say before I flounce but I may join the queue for the exit.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 14:41:47

Actually, GNHQ have been behaving very oddly just lately. Deleting threads by posters who have been here for a long while yet leaving absolute rubbish to stand.

Is there a new team?

Expect I'll be banned now for daring to question.

J52 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:42:02

Not impressed by this, at all!

If you’re on an apple device and go into settings, you can switch on ‘Limit Add tracking’ which might help.

Charleygirl5 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:42:05

I agree, we should have had some warning.

Grandad1943 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:54:25

Callistemon

Actually, GNHQ have been behaving very oddly just lately. Deleting threads by posters who have been here for a long while yet leaving absolute rubbish to stand.

Is there a new team?

Expect I'll be banned now for daring to question.

I feel that the powers that be would be quite content to see the end of Gransnet so that it's resources could be concentrated on the much larger Mumsnet.

In terms of the future, Gransnet is stalled with a mainly one gender older membership which needs expansion into containing both sexes widely if its future is to be made viable and secure.

Bathsheba Fri 14-Aug-20 14:54:37

I did toggle everything that I could, but as others have said, there were several at the end of the list that gave no such option. They just impose these ones on us, forcing us to consent. Consent? Any idea what that word means anyone? confused

If GNHQ don't appear and give us an explanation, I'll be heading for the exit too angry

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 14:57:00

No excuse for GNHQ not having forewarned about this instead of just presenting it as a fait accompli. Like most others I couldn't refuse some of the options. Why so silent on this GNHQ? hmm

EllanVannin Fri 14-Aug-20 15:05:55

Go to your uninstall programmes, Callistemon.

EllanVannin Fri 14-Aug-20 15:06:54

Use the proxy setting.

Urmstongran Fri 14-Aug-20 15:09:34

I just clicked ‘consent’.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:10:02

Three threads on the same subject with no answer/posts from GNHQ.........perhaps if we start mentioning plimsolls onesies etc they might notice

FarNorth Fri 14-Aug-20 15:13:42

Grandad1943 if GNHQ want to expand their membership, they're going a strange way about it.

MerylStreep Fri 14-Aug-20 15:19:39

GranyGravy
I'm sooooo tempted to write something really rude/obscene.
That would raise the red flag.?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:21:33

Merylstreep ?? I know exactly how you feel ??

Pittcity Fri 14-Aug-20 15:32:21

I don't think it's any more intrusive than it was before, just put in a different format.
It's asking if you want the ads you see tailored to your interests or not?
The same applies to anything online and not every site makes the consent so obvious.

sodapop Fri 14-Aug-20 15:36:54

I agree Callistemon things have been different lately. Is this Covid related as everything else seems to be.
Still no word from HQ expect its gin o'clock now then home for the weekend.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:39:15

Sodapop it’s POETS day ( p**s off early tomorrow’s Saturday)
Probably finished for the week and still no reply.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:39:52

Hi all,

Thanks to the user who reported this thread to us. We don't tend to read every post so if there's something that you'd like us to take a look at in future, please do report it to us so we don't miss anything.

We're checking with our tech team now and will get back to you asap with some answers.

Auntieflo Fri 14-Aug-20 15:42:28

This wasn't very clear at all.
I had the same pop up, as the centre picture of Oops post, and although you could toggle the button, nowhere did it seem to say whether it was a Yes or No.
I have left mine as was.
Does that mean I have now consented to being spied on?

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 15:49:55

EllanVannin

Go to your uninstall programmes, Callistemon.

Thanks EllanVannin, I'll have a go.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Aug-20 15:59:26

Please see more info on the new consent form here

MawB Fri 14-Aug-20 16:00:58

Puzzler61

Before anyone pulls any plugs MawB can I ask “How is Hattie dog now?”

I think she is better thank you - copious Ice cubes tasting of gin might be helping.
Seriously she was very weak and pathetic for a couple of weeks, behaving like an old lady who needed to be treated gently, whereas she is only 4 1/2!
Still no idea what was at the bottom of it so I am keeping an eye on her, but now that she is eating and sleeping normally and still keen on a walkie, it is very reassuring.

craftyone Fri 14-Aug-20 16:02:28

I already have an ad blocker. I had to agree to bits of the pop up, there was no option but I`ll soon delete all cookies on my laptop