Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect social distancing ......

(43 Posts)
hazel93 Sun 06-Sep-20 10:24:23

even when wearing a mask !
Could not believe when visiting local supermarket early on Saturday, not only very few using the hand sanitiser on entry but then strolling around with no regard to clearly marked distancing.
Drives me mad ! Anyone else finding this in your area ?

trustgone4sure Mon 07-Sep-20 08:42:22

Iv`e just been on a thread about the same thing.
We went to Brean in Somerset and 99% of people were not wearing masks or social distancing,and where we live is pretty much the same,unbelievable and worrying.
Thick as pig s..t

MerylStreep Sun 06-Sep-20 22:53:07

I wondered how the government were going to get out of this as Dr John Lee said: ^ the government have backed themselves into a corner^
Now, by calling the virus endemic it's the only way out.

MerylStreep Sun 06-Sep-20 22:48:41

According to a report in the Observer there are towns in Northern England where the virus is now endemic This 'leaked' ( of course ?) from PHE also states that the selective lockdowns have made no difference in numbers.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 06-Sep-20 21:26:27

growstuff

I was told by the gatekeeper (aka the receptionist) at my local surgery that the doctors aren't doing any face-to-face consultations. I did manage to get blood tests after kicking up a fuss.

The results came back and there's a note that I need to discuss something with a doctor. I've also received a letter telling me to make an appointment. However, I've been trying for six weeks (!) to get a phone appointment, as I also have something acute which needs treating and I was already being treated for suspected carpal tunnel syndrome before lockdown.

There are no pre-bookable appointments (even phone ones) and I just get told to ring at 8am. I have rung numerous times at 8, but I get put in a queue and cut off after about twenty minutes. On the couple of occasions I managed to get through, I was told that all appointments were booked and to try again next day. The gatekeeper just tells me that it's her "job" and she can't do anything about it.

I ran out of inclusive minutes on my landline last month and most of those minutes have been hanging on the phone to the GP.

My GP certainly does seem to be enforcing social distancing!

angry

Sorry you've had this treatment with your surgery.

I can't praise my surgery enough. I've ordered and collected medication (met at the door). Have to do this every three weeks. Everyone I saw inside was wearing a mask but there were very few waiting to see doctor/nurse. During lockdown when we were self isolated, a doctor brought the medication to our home.

Patient Access - I had a phone consultation two months ago, Completed an on-line form and attached photographs. I had a call that same day. They used to do phone consultations though, prior to covid19.

Summerlove Sun 06-Sep-20 21:04:55

Biscuitmuncher

What drives me mad is, I get out of my car put some hand gel on walk to the shop and get told to put some more gel on! My daughters hands have been raw from covering herself in gel.

Maybe wait to put the gel on then?

Biscuitmuncher Sun 06-Sep-20 20:31:47

What drives me mad is, I get out of my car put some hand gel on walk to the shop and get told to put some more gel on! My daughters hands have been raw from covering herself in gel.

Furret Sun 06-Sep-20 20:16:18

Don’t go to supermarkets any more for this reason,

AviaParva Sun 06-Sep-20 19:41:40

hazel93

even when wearing a mask !
Could not believe when visiting local supermarket early on Saturday, not only very few using the hand sanitiser on entry but then strolling around with no regard to clearly marked distancing.
Drives me mad ! Anyone else finding this in your area ?

www.gransnet.com/forums/aibu/1284244-To-expect-social-distancing#add_message
Hadn’t seen your thread when I Just started a similar thread about young people not wearing masks in shops/supermarkets.
So we are in agreement, sadly!

maddyone Sun 06-Sep-20 13:14:58

BlueBelle I don’t think you’re not rule abiding, and in any case the social distancing rule is not actually law, it is a guideline, and people can choose to follow or not. I’m sure you’re careful in other ways, like mask wearing and hand sanitising. If I were you, which obviously I’m not, I’d just say to my ‘huggy’ friends that at the moment I’d prefer to not hug, but that I’m really happy to be able to get together with them. Of course, the older folks such as us are probably the least likely to be carrying the virus at the moment, as we are generally careful, and apparently the younger people are the ones who are testing positive at the moment.
All I would say is that everyone should take as few risks as possible at the moment and hopefully we’ll all eventually come out of this safely.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Sep-20 12:54:50

growstuff if you read my post I said very clearly everyone must do what is right for them at NO POINT did I say people were foolish to live in fear
I totally understand some people are living in fear I also agree some people will definitely die of Covid, like thousands die of seasonal flu and pneumonia and cancer and other horrible diseasesThat is how are lives are set out people will die sometimes far to soon of many many different things
If I believed this was just going to be a year of staying in and disruption I would do exactly that without a Second thought but it’s not it’s with us it’s not going away unfortunately and all we have to adapt so life can go on I personally will carry on as normal as possible but I am very understanding of those that are more cautious

maddy I have four close friends who I go out with (separately ) two have never been huggers two are and both have initiated a quick hug when we ve met and I ve been totally comfortable with that I would never hug anyone first as I am, contrary to what you may think very careful and rule abiding

MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 12:54:29

My grandsons school have expressedly stated that mask wearing is strictly optional in corridors and communal areas.

I've totally given up on the idea that social distancing is actually happening in everyday life, here.

Less and less people wearing masks on buses, with the stickers and tapes now mostly removed so people sit anywhere.
Plus, of course, people where I live who haven't distanced at all, in any way shape or form.

Gwyneth Sun 06-Sep-20 12:43:25

Maddyone yes I agree with you. Parents need to be supportive and if their children are not prepared to comply they must be sent home. I just hope matters will improve for her next week and things settle down. It seems that the school also needs to take a firmer stance on this matter and be more proactive when students choose not to comply.

jaylucy Sun 06-Sep-20 12:34:44

My son has been doing the grocery shopping for me all along and he said that once the stores went to the trouble of marking out the distancing and it was compulsory to wear face masks in the supermarket it got worse - people not following the signage and going in the opposite direction to the correct route. Staff not even wearing face coverings as well.
It's almost as if , like spoilt children, they are going out of their way to go against any rules , regulations or advice and knickers to anyone else!
We now use Click and collect.

maddyone Sun 06-Sep-20 12:27:25

My husband, an ex deputy head teacher of pupils aged 11 to 18, says he would phone the patent and tell them to take their child home until the child is ready to comply. As he put it, it’s a public health matter, so cannot be ignored.

maddyone Sun 06-Sep-20 12:24:25

Gwyneth
What a horrible situation for your friend. I would have thought the teachers should speak to their headteacher and formulate a policy regarding Covid19 practices, that should then be sent to every student and every parent.
It’s pointless government making safety statement such as senior pupils must wear masks in corridors, if then schools allow pupils to disobey.
But having said that, if the children see adults not following the rules in shops and other places, what chance the children will follow rules?

maddyone Sun 06-Sep-20 12:18:16

Blinko has made a good suggestion, worth following up on.

maddyone Sun 06-Sep-20 12:13:00

Yes, I thought something like that might have been the problem growstuff. I’m afraid I can’t think of anything else that might help.

Gwyneth Sun 06-Sep-20 12:05:24

Re schools and masks. I was chatting to a friend who teaches at secondary school. She said that she had had an awful week back at school. Apparently, although students are required to wear masks in corridors and communal areas many are not doing so. She says that they have had students spitting and coughing at each other. Heads of year and senior management seem to be overwhelmed with the situation and nothing is being done about it.

Blinko Sun 06-Sep-20 12:03:41

Growstuff this sounds unacceptable. Have you thought of writing to your local CCG? If that fails, a letter to your MP at least has them running round trying to answer your concerns...

Nonnie Sun 06-Sep-20 11:59:32

Tour de France yesterday and all the people lining the route were wearing masks.

Where we live people are behaving very responsibly

Grandmabatty Sun 06-Sep-20 11:56:20

I live in Scotland and we have been wearing masks for quite a while. It was made clear that wearing them was to protect others and I am happy to comply. I have been out with the family and only once has a waitress in a hotel not had her mask on. We won't be back there. It isn't a big ask to slow down the spread of the virus.

growstuff Sun 06-Sep-20 11:52:34

You mean we should just accept as inevitable that some of the more vulnerable will die, Bluebell?

growstuff Sun 06-Sep-20 11:49:41

Bluebell Another one who accuses people who want to be sensible as suffering from "fear", being in a "cocoon" and being "nervous". I am none of those things. hmm

growstuff Sun 06-Sep-20 11:45:27

maddyone

Can you book an appointment online growstuff?
I’m thinking perhaps you can’t or else you would have done so already.

No, I can't. I used to, but the service isn't available.

maddyone Sun 06-Sep-20 11:43:05

I’m surprised you hug your friends BlueBelle. I don’t hug friends, actually I’ve barely seen any friends since lockdown, but on the rare occasions I have seen a friend, we have remained socially distanced. No hugging, nor indeed do our family hug or kiss as we used to pre Covid. The young grandchildren are a slightly different matter. We have cared for the six year old twins in the school holidays (no key worker childcare any longer) and we have been close to them, it’s impossible to remain distanced from such young children, but we allow no kissing or facial contact. And we use copious amounts of hand sanitiser. We have barely seen our eight year old grandson but again we remained distanced from him and the two year old was going to nursery so far less contact. But hug friends hmm, well actually NO.