Gransnet forums


Welfare of next door neighbour

(10 Posts)
Helski Mon 14-Sep-20 10:41:03

The lady next door is very elderly (96) and although totally clear of mind she is very, very frail and apparently completely incontinent. Her daughter moved in at the beginning of lockdown and has displayed some very strange behaviours. Such as washing all the post in a bucket of disinfectant, screaming at us over the fence that we are causing issues re coronavirus, although we were just in our garden. The police have been to me to ask about the situation because they had received a 'welfare concern' call. My concern is this..... the overpowering smell of ammonia from the urine soaked house in now wafting over our fence. We have never seen the mother outside with the daughter, she appears to have cancelled the meal delivery service and there are no carers calling at the house. I just wondered if there is any kind of social service support in regard to this. If there were children in the house that I considered to be at risk I would call social services, but I am unsure whether such a thing exists for the elderly. Can anyone help? TIA.

Jaxjacky Mon 14-Sep-20 10:47:37

Adult social services in your local authority, I’d give them a call.

Granny23 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:50:28

Yes, I think you should alert Social Services. They have a 'Duty of Care' for Frail Elderly people. Does the lady have any other relatives/friends that you are aware of? Was there no follow up after the Police visit?

PinkCakes Mon 14-Sep-20 11:02:42

The Safeguarding team of Social Services should be made aware of the situation. Things sound out of hand.

annodomini Mon 14-Sep-20 11:18:27

Yes - please don't hesitate. Adult Services need to know about this asap.

Helski Mon 14-Sep-20 12:07:41

There is a son, but he hates his sister and will have nothing to do with her. She obviously has mental health issues. It's all very worrying.

sodapop Mon 14-Sep-20 12:43:22

I agree with everyone else, you need to make the relevant people aware of this situation asap. Helski The daughter clearly seems unwell and probably should not be caring for her vulnerable mother.
I think the son should put his personal feelings aside and ensure his mother is safe.

Sugarpufffairy Mon 14-Sep-20 13:23:04

When the police contacted you did you tell them what you have said here?
You could call the police for them to make a welfare visit which would probably be a faster way to get social services to take action

Luckygirl Mon 14-Sep-20 13:45:33

SSD have to act if they are alerted about a vulnerable adult.

Helski Mon 14-Sep-20 14:02:27

I’ve spoken with social services. Thank you.