Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bel Mooney

(193 Posts)
ExD Tue 15-Sep-20 11:15:07

I always considered this lady to be sensible and level headed.
But I found this article from Saturday's Daily Mail to be selfish and petulant and I'm surprised that such sentiments should be published.
Does she really want to kill her granny?
Is she really urging others to emulate this behaviour@

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8724161/BEL-MOONEY-No-no-no-Im-having-Christmas-14-no-puffed-Covid-marshal-stop-me.html

You can say it serves me right for reading such a rag - but I'm appalled all the same!

Lucca Mon 15-Nov-21 08:12:06

Reported

52vkykw0c6n73 Mon 15-Nov-21 07:22:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

eazybee Tue 10-Nov-20 14:37:32

Silly woman.

petra Tue 10-Nov-20 13:31:35

aleena
Your wasting your time on GN with the products your advertising. Good try, though.

aleena12345 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:22:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

aleena12345 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:21:41

Chardy Tue 13-Oct-20 16:24:55

Bel Mooney is 74! Shouldn't she grow up?

zainab12345 Tue 13-Oct-20 15:07:02

Blossoming Thu 24-Sep-20 23:48:19

Callistemon

Who? confused

I think you’re replying to my post, but if not apologies.

I was referring to Bel Mooney, who is the subject of this thread.

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 15:14:52

grin

trisher Mon 21-Sep-20 11:59:41

Ooh * Callistemon* it's getting spooky! and I'm seriously worried about this, could it be a side effect of the pandemic? Should I ask Boris for a ruling about this? Maybe we should have limits on our agreements! grin

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 10:25:10

Who? confused

Blossoming Mon 21-Sep-20 10:23:28

It’s not the first time she’s been vile about older people.

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 10:20:43

It is a real example of how stupid some of these laws and retrictions are.

Exactly trisher
(See what I did there? I agreed with you again wink)

Last time, when there was a 5 mile rule in Wales, people were travelling out of Wales, 5 or so miles through England and back into Wales and were stopped by police and told they were breaking the rules.
All they were doing was trying to get to the supermarket.

trisher Mon 21-Sep-20 10:03:42

But Bellanonna the English family is going to meeting of more than 6. So who is responsible for that and who gets fined? Is it the English family for travelling to the meeting and so breaking English law?
It is a real example of how stupid some of these laws and retrictions are. Particularly as Scotland and Wales have different regulations.

Bellanonna Mon 21-Sep-20 08:58:44

No, because English rules don’t apply in Wales.

Callistemon Sun 20-Sep-20 23:36:23

Imo many people who ignore the rules are lying when they say they don’t understand them

Scenario 1: a neighbour invites her family for Christmas dinner. There will be six adults and four children.
That is permissible as it is in Wales.

Scenario 2: the same family cannot get together at the daughter's house a mile away in England because children are included in the six.

Will the daughter and family be fined because they broke an English rule in Wales?

M0nica Sun 20-Sep-20 23:22:56

Illte that begs the issue that many people are trying to avoid all those people they shouldn't meet but between 'bubbles' , the 'rule of 6', when children count and when they do not, what do households of over 6 do if they want to go out for a meal. Even the most careful person can break a rule inadvertently.

I walk on eggshells juggling the various shutdowns or possible shutdowns with what we were planning to do. We have had four cautious plans for socially very contained activities cancelled in the last week, mainly by us because either we or the organisers were reducing what they were offering or what we were going to do because we were concerned that some aspect of the activity might inadvertently breach current rules or ones that may be brought in, in the next few days - fortnight.

You may be absolutely confident you know all the rules, but to me that smacks of over confidence.

Illte Sat 19-Sep-20 22:37:14

I agree with Suzie. Even if people say they don't understand the rule they must know the virus spreads from person to person. Do just limit your contact with other people. Distance.

Its not hard to understand and it hasn't changed.

But people just won't do it.

ayse Sat 19-Sep-20 21:04:08

I was fully expecting not to be able to go on holiday next month (remaining in the UK) as we are in local lockdown. However, on checking the rules I can.

If this is all about limiting social contact why are those who can work from home being encouraged to go to work? Why are masks not compulsory?

We seem no further forward than we were in March. At least then it was relative clear what was expected.

M0nica Sat 19-Sep-20 20:50:54

Suzie I think you are unduly cynical. I think there is real confusion among many people. I have not knowingly broken any of the rules, but I feel on edge all the time because I am worried I may be misinterpreting them.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 17:02:27

Imo many people who ignore the rules are lying when they say they don’t understand them - what they actually mean is I don’t like those rules and don’t want to follow them .

M0nica Sat 19-Sep-20 16:53:12

People ignore the rules because they are so complicated, frequently changing and seemingly irrational as Callistemon has pointed out.

If there was a clear framework with the governments of all the devolved areas working as 1. A nice flow chart showing how the controls would wax and wane with the advance and retreat of the incidence of COVID at a local and national level, so that people fully understood what was happening and could see ahead how the the trend in infection in an area was likely to affect controls, I think people would be much more prepared to obey the rules, but as things stand the rules are confusing and irrational. Is it surprising that people tend to interprete them as they fancy?

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 23:20:51

I am just questioning the rules which allow six people plus as many children as you wish to gather in a small room in a house but do not allow more than 30 people into a building which can easily seat hundreds, leaving a dozen elderly people standing outside for an hour. The dozen could have sat inside distanced at least 5 metres apart.

I understand the need for rules but understand the need for exceptions and for sensible people in charge to be able to use discretion.

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 20:11:45

Well it would help if Johnson treated W and S with some of the respect he lies about having for the union. There’s a sizeable number of the population who wilfully pretend not to understand the rules imo