Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry another mask rant

(124 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 01-Oct-20 09:31:07

Boris Johnson's dad seen shopping without a mask. His excuse that's he's been abroad for a couple of weeks! How long has mask wearing been compulsory - more than a couple of weeks, and what is more, decent people have been using them for many months out of consideration for others. If Mr Johnson Senior is not fined, (a la Mr (s)Cummings' exemption) , then what is that saying to the British people? I also sincerely hope that the bit of 'abroad' he's been in didn't require quarantine on return, or is he disregarding that as well? Sorry for the rant, having a bad day over all of this bl**dy covid situation.

MrsRochester Thu 01-Oct-20 19:59:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Repeats a previously deleted post.

mokryna Thu 01-Oct-20 19:59:02

I am going to try this next time I go out
A report published in the Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England also suggests washing glasses with soapy water to prevent them from getting foggy.

The report says: “Immediately before wearing a face mask, wash the spectacles with soapy water and shake off the excess.

“Then, let the spectacles air dry or gently dry off the lenses with a soft tissue before putting them back on. Now the spectacle lenses should not mist up when the face mask is worn.”

Marydoll Thu 01-Oct-20 19:44:01

widgeon3, priority slots are still available to those who have been shielding and are vulnerable, as long as you are registered with the LA as such.
I know, because I have had deliveries from Tesco every week since I started shielding in March.
It may be worth contacting the relevant department at your local authority, I have found them very helpful.
When I was finding shopping difficult at teh very beginning, I found Iceland to be very good. Have you tried them?
I too have Sjogrens, a compromised immune system and chronic lung disease. I do however, strive to wear a mask for short periods if I'm out. I acknowledge it's not easy and very uncomfortable for people with comorbidities. The worst part of wearing a mask and having Sjogrens is for me being very thirsty.
However, I'm trying to protect myself and others, as much as I can.

Yesterday I had my flu vaccination at the local football stadium and everyone was wearing masks.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 19:30:18

And now the SNP MP. What is the matter with these people ???

cupaffull Thu 01-Oct-20 19:13:12

MrsRochester

NfkDumpling

How did he manage it?“

Didn’t he manage to break isolation restrictions by using a circuitous route on his “essential” travel to the Greek Islands too?

Yes he quite deliberately did use a circuitous route and the "reported" reason was to check on a rental property out there....
Fine the sad old duffer, might wake him up to have the police arrive at his door. Time to pull him up short and make an example of him.
Hell will freeze over before that will ever happen eh Boris???

PinkCakes Thu 01-Oct-20 18:03:19

I wore my mask to Asda today, and the majority of shoppers had one on too (3 people didn't). All the staff wore them - apart from one lady on the cigarette/lottery counter, who had her mask dangling from one ear, her whole face uncovered.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 17:42:01

Oops yes I hadn’t thought of that - how stupid if that is what happened. I never cease to be amazed at what people tweet/post on FB/ put in an email

Oopsminty Thu 01-Oct-20 17:35:28

suziewoozie

Imo both SJ and JC deserve to be roundly criticised for different reasons. As mentioned upthread, SJ is a serial offender re riding roughshod over various Covid rules ( both legal and guidance). He is in the public eye ( and relishes it) and should take the responsibilities that go with that as well as the benefits.

JC is an elected representative and as such should be setting an example in both private and public. Of course he knew what he was doing - it wasn’t a ‘mistake’ it was a choice. What does amaze me is that someone there must have sold/leaked the photos.

Totally agree, suziewoozie

JC's mistake was anything but.

We've been told that the majority of cases are arising in the home. So for him to decide to go to a meal in someone's dining room was quite foolish to say the least

As for who sold/leaked the photos, it might not have been anyone at the gathering.

It may well have been posted on FB or some other social media site and been lifted by friends/followers.

biba70 Thu 01-Oct-20 17:29:26

growstuff- agree. Fine both - no ifs, no buts.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 17:23:24

Imo both SJ and JC deserve to be roundly criticised for different reasons. As mentioned upthread, SJ is a serial offender re riding roughshod over various Covid rules ( both legal and guidance). He is in the public eye ( and relishes it) and should take the responsibilities that go with that as well as the benefits.

JC is an elected representative and as such should be setting an example in both private and public. Of course he knew what he was doing - it wasn’t a ‘mistake’ it was a choice. What does amaze me is that someone there must have sold/leaked the photos.

growstuff Thu 01-Oct-20 17:21:53

Callistemon

widgeon no advice re masks except to say that a close fitting one with a metal insert over the bridge of the nose should prevent moist air going up into your eyes.

As for the supermarket delivery slot, try sending a message to them; I did this by going on their FB page. The one supermarket that was most helpful was Tesco. You may well get a response from a real person, not a standard reply and I hope they will be able to help you. The person with whom I was in touch arranged a priority slot for the next day.

Good luck.

I rarely go out, but when I have done, I wear a mask. I also have to wear glasses to read labels. I find a mask a bit uncomfortable, but (as you say) the ones I wear have a metal bit over the nose and my glasses don't steam up.

I have been having Tesco deliveries three times a month since March. I pay £8 a month, but it's been worth every penny and actually puts me more in control of my food spending and saves money on petrol.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 17:15:57

MBM

He’s an idiot but Jeremy Corbyn & Dianne Abbot and their friends are as bad , Dining in a Restaurant with eight or nine friends,
They obviously don’t think Rules apply to them.

It was a private home and not a restaurant ( not that the setting matters) and Diane Abbot was not there. Facts matter.

growstuff Thu 01-Oct-20 17:15:17

curlz

I work in a post office and I wear a visor and I’m also behind a sneeze screen . Last week a lady came up to my counter to be served with her mask under her chin , bearing in mind that she had been stood in a queue before this and hadn’t just came in . So l said politely would you mind pulling your mask up to which she replied that she didn’t need to wear one as she had intermittent asthma and didn’t need to wear one , must of been there to keep her chin warm then ! We have just been put into restrictions in our town , I wonder why ?

If she has asthma, there's even more reason for her to wear one ... or not be outside at all. Stupid and arrogant woman!

growstuff Thu 01-Oct-20 17:12:37

Fine him! No ifs and buts! No excuses! £200 wouldn't be much to him, but it least it would give the right message.

Oopsminty Thu 01-Oct-20 17:05:21

I rather like Stanley. He had gone into a small newsagent. Stupidly didn't wear a mask. He's apologised. Sadly there are a lot of people who don't adhere to the rules

The Johnson's are an unusual family from what I can tell. They don't appear to communicate much

They have different opinions re: politics/Brexit

I heard Rachel saying that she'd not met Carrie when they announced her pregnancy

And as others have mentioned, we really shouldn't be clamouring too loudly about family members almost needing to be responsible for other's actions.

MayBee70 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:56:44

Stanley Johnson is a narcissistic self publicist like his son. He knows full well that people watch what he does.. I’ve never before known a PM that has a father that appears on news programmes, breakfast tv and reality tv programmes before. And our lives depend on his son. #heavenhelpus

Lucca Thu 01-Oct-20 16:52:27

Maybee. You are right.

Kamiso Thu 01-Oct-20 16:46:35

Parsley3

Is Greece on the quarantine list? Anyway, the PM has no credibility with me while he does nothing to address the behaviour of his own family and advisors. If they cannot follow his guidance why should we, the Great British public.

ps. I do follow the rules but I shout at the telly when the PM is in advisory mode.
“ What about Cummings and your Dad?”

Is Boris and his family and friends responsible for the worldwide pandemic? They must be much cleverer than I supposed.

Obviously if they ignore the rules then it’s ok for everybody else to do the same. Sound logic?

Are we all responsible for the actions of our families and acquaintances? I sincerely hope not!

MayBee70 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:29:23

Theoddbird

MayBee70. I will say again...it is childish to pick on someone just because of who his son is.... I do not need someone copying and pasting what I posted either... Just make a comment on it if you wish. If you are having a conversation with a group you do not repeat what they said before commenting on it after all. Here is no different. Anyone reading the thread would have read exactly what I said anyway. I see the copy and paste thing on here too often....

So what’s the point of being able to make it obvious what point you are replying to if it’s offensive in some way to do so.? We’ve only recently had this facility on gransnet. It was introduced so that people could make it clear what post they are referring to. Bit childish to complain about someone using the facility (imo).

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 16:22:46

widgeon no advice re masks except to say that a close fitting one with a metal insert over the bridge of the nose should prevent moist air going up into your eyes.

As for the supermarket delivery slot, try sending a message to them; I did this by going on their FB page. The one supermarket that was most helpful was Tesco. You may well get a response from a real person, not a standard reply and I hope they will be able to help you. The person with whom I was in touch arranged a priority slot for the next day.

Good luck.

sodapop Thu 01-Oct-20 15:44:05

Exactly right Schumee

Schumee Thu 01-Oct-20 15:42:21

Hospital staff and care workers have to wear them for up to 12 hour shifts. So wearing them in shops is only a small ask

curlz Thu 01-Oct-20 15:39:15

I work in a post office and I wear a visor and I’m also behind a sneeze screen . Last week a lady came up to my counter to be served with her mask under her chin , bearing in mind that she had been stood in a queue before this and hadn’t just came in . So l said politely would you mind pulling your mask up to which she replied that she didn’t need to wear one as she had intermittent asthma and didn’t need to wear one , must of been there to keep her chin warm then ! We have just been put into restrictions in our town , I wonder why ?

Theoddbird Thu 01-Oct-20 15:35:44

MayBee70. I will say again...it is childish to pick on someone just because of who his son is.... I do not need someone copying and pasting what I posted either... Just make a comment on it if you wish. If you are having a conversation with a group you do not repeat what they said before commenting on it after all. Here is no different. Anyone reading the thread would have read exactly what I said anyway. I see the copy and paste thing on here too often....

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Oct-20 15:35:42

I am asthmatic, claustrophobic and wear glasses, wearing a mask is not easy but I do it and have done since middle of March.?