Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want a tattoo

(354 Posts)
EthelTheTank Wed 07-Oct-20 13:15:18

I'd love a tattoo but at the tender age of 73 I don't know if I'd be able to suit one. My son Sherman thinks it is an awful idea for me to get a tattoo but I can't help feeling like I'm missing out. What are your opinions on tattoos? Should I go for it?

Ali08 Wed 09-Nov-22 15:43:15

Go for it!!
Make it something you'll definitely like, though. And it doesn't have to be big or in an often seen place!
I have a flower in a heart on my hip, my children's names in my own writing on one of my boobs, a unicorn head on my shoulder blade and my ex's name on my upper arm - the latter of which I'd happily cover with a coffin or skull & crossbones. I'm considering this recently!
Ask about your local tattooists from people who you know who have tattoos, they'll know who's good and who isn't!

MrsKen33 Mon 07-Nov-22 19:49:27

I am doing a big project at the moment. If all goes well with it I’m having a tattoo.

Smorko12 Mon 07-Nov-22 17:34:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Purplepixie Fri 16-Oct-20 12:57:49

It’s your life so just go for it. I am considering a one for my 70th birthday. One of my sons said that I wouldn’t be welcome in their house if I got one - that’s excuse enough to get a one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wine

Shropshirelass Sun 11-Oct-20 09:29:27

If you want one have one. Personally I hate them, they look like bruises! My daughter has a small unicorn on her shoulder, it is quite nice, but still not for me. What if it doesn't look as good as you expected, then you are stuck with it. A friend's husband had his dogs face tattooed on his arm, he was pleased but I thought it looked like Winston Churchill!!! My skin has gone quite thin which might make it difficult anyway.

EthelTheTank Sat 10-Oct-20 13:49:03

?
Sorry for the confusion there!

Marydoll Sat 10-Oct-20 13:47:56

? At first glance, I thought you were speaking to me, Ethel!!!
I am rather well endowed for such a wee wife!
I think I'm becoming paranoid.

EthelTheTank Sat 10-Oct-20 12:34:39

Do you have any tattoos BustyMary? I do think some look lovely

dragonfly46 Sat 10-Oct-20 12:23:29

My DS got a tattoo on his arm years ago. He says he doesn't regret it but his wife hates it.
I hate tattoos BUT if I had one it would be a dragonfly in a place only I and maybe DH if he is good, would see it!

BustyMary Sat 10-Oct-20 12:20:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blossoming Sat 10-Oct-20 12:03:39

I wouldn’t have one but it’s your body so go for it if that’s what you want.

Vickysponge Sat 10-Oct-20 11:53:25

happycatholicwife1

I can't fathom ever getting a tat. It seems a temporary distraction for unhappy people. I always think something is missing in a person's life if a tattoo appeals. Never known a happy person with a tatoo.

Really? My daughter has two small tattoos and she is very happy person. Cannot understand how you can make such a sweeping generalisation.?

lemongrove Sat 10-Oct-20 08:40:25

....the illustrated man?
Or was it a late midlife crisis?

MissAdventure Sat 10-Oct-20 01:29:55

He probably sat in his stuffy little office, in his too tight suit, with his too small shirt collar digging into his neck like a shackle, and dreamed of the day he could finally be himself. smile

sparklingsilver28 Sat 10-Oct-20 01:04:11

If my DGS' had tattoos I would be horrified. Which ever way I look at it, I see self abuse. I once saw a man with tattoos from the top of his head (bald) down his face and neck, upper torso (wearing shorts and no top) down his legs and to his toes - he looked hideous. Discovered he had been the local bank manager before defacing himself after retirement.

Lynnv Sat 10-Oct-20 00:51:32

Go for it, my son paid for my first one when I was 50 and came with me.
I had a bow with my boys initials round it, my 2nd was 2 years later on my leg, butterflies in memory of my dad .
I say definitely go for it

MissAdventure Fri 09-Oct-20 23:20:33

Oh, I couldn't fiddle around with my eyes like that.
I'd rather look like dame Edna Everage than poke myself about like that.

Keffie12 Fri 09-Oct-20 23:18:37

Just do it: I'm 59. I had my first tattoo at 41. I have 19 tattoos (pretty things like flowers, butterflies, angel praying over a baby etc with an odd one like the one for my late husband that is more poignant) If i want a tattoo at 73 I will have one. I'm having a multi coloured lioness done next year

EthelTheTank Fri 09-Oct-20 23:16:59

Very true, I cringe watching people put contact lenses in. I wear glasses, but am too scared to try contacts.

MissAdventure Fri 09-Oct-20 23:14:16

However long, it must feel like an eternity. Getting an eyelash in your eye is bad enough.

EthelTheTank Fri 09-Oct-20 23:12:11

I wonder how long it takes to tattoo the eyes

MissAdventure Fri 09-Oct-20 22:53:01

How strange.
I'm half watching 24 hours in A and E.

There is a blind lady. Her eyes look a bit strange, but she's just explained that her actual eyes are all pink, so what she has now is tattooed eyes.

Amazing!

Nuttyasafruitcake Fri 09-Oct-20 19:50:33

I’m 62 and got my first tattoo just before my 40th birthday as a dare.
I’m booked in next week to have my second tattoo ?
Go for it, you can always cover it up if you don’t want it showing.
Mine will both be on my shoulders.

V3ra Fri 09-Oct-20 19:39:15

Chewbacca I had to laugh at your granddaughter's lesson in the art of tattoos, what an unexpected add-on to your cinema trip. I do hope her parents didn't mind ?
I had a little girl in my childminding setting whose mum had tattoos. The little girl used to draw on her own arms in biro as that was her "tattoos" ?‍♀️

Chewbacca Fri 09-Oct-20 18:52:19

I'm planning on a tattoo as part of my GOD policy.

What's this? Sounds fascinating, please tell.