Gransnet forums

AIBU

My friend has multible support bubbles

(123 Posts)
ExD Mon 19-Oct-20 12:26:36

Have I got it wrong?
My friend says she has three bubbles, one with each of her three daughters and their families, so she can have all three in her house at the same time and not break any rules? (We ate tier 2).
Have I been restricting myself all this time by visiting only my married daughter but not my married son who is in a bubble with his in-laws and who we see only in his garden?

FannyCornforth Mon 26-Oct-20 12:06:21

Hello again ExD
I commented on your other thread about your friend's fragile mental health.
You do seem to be a bit preoccupied about your friend and her life.
I hope that she is not on Gransnet, as she or members of her family could easily identify themselves.
As I said previously, please see if you can encourage your friend to see her GP, and take a step back from her concerns.

ExD Mon 26-Oct-20 11:51:19

Well this friend is turning into something of a nightmare as she's now worrying herself sick and imagining all kinds of unlikely things. The latest is her thinking her husband is having an affair (see separate thread).
After reading all your replies I realise she shouldn't be "bubbling" anyway as she's not living alone.
I don't suppose, as M0nica says, that she's much threat to anyone as she gets everything delivered and she and I haven't met face to face since early summer - and that was for a walk.
I think she's developing a mental problem (she always was a worrier) but have refused the suggestion my DH and I become yet another of her "bubbles" which shocked her a bit. She's genuinely doing the right thing in her own eyes.
There must be other people thinking along the same lines.

M0nica Sat 24-Oct-20 22:36:42

I read today that only 10% of those contacted by Track and Trace fully comply with all the rules of quarantine.

Now I realise that many of the infractions will be minor; going for a walk outside their own garden, coming out of quarantine a day early etc, where the chances of that causing a problem are limited, but it is food for thought.

Rangimarie Fri 23-Oct-20 22:23:05

It's so frustrating isnt it. We who obey the rules and others who flout them. I call it "the Cummings effect". He got away with going to his second home (his name together with his parents are on the deeds held at the Land Registry). The Scottish MP, with the virus, who made a return journey from London to Scotland was not charged. Tony Blair on his return from the USA did not quarantine for 14 days. If people in Government are going to ignore the rules then, sadly, many of the population will too.
I believe in New Zealand the army get called upon to round up the wrongdoers.

Kathderoet Fri 23-Oct-20 10:29:31

Grannynannywanny

Kathderoet I’ve just read your post and I’m so sorry to read that you’ve lost your Mum under such very difficult circumstances. That must have been very tough on you ?

I am so sad I can’t explain, but thank you for your kind words. X

Hetty58 Fri 23-Oct-20 09:47:02

Pinkrinse says:

'If people want to break the rules that’s there business' (sic)

I disagree - it's everyone's business when others put our lives at risk. I'd strongly express my disapproval, report their illegal behaviour and let the police explain (slowly and carefully) the law to them!

We can all make a difference by refusing to tolerate all the rule breaking - and refusing contact with the people involved.

dizzygran Fri 23-Oct-20 09:05:23

I am horrified - does that mean she thinks she can have 18 in her house at the same time. This silly behaviour is why the virus is spreading. Not sure how you get the message over though.

Grannynannywanny Fri 23-Oct-20 08:35:09

Kathderoet I’ve just read your post and I’m so sorry to read that you’ve lost your Mum under such very difficult circumstances. That must have been very tough on you ?

Magmar Fri 23-Oct-20 08:20:57

Olive53- I’m entirely with you! Project Fear is alive and well! The vulnerable and those who feel vulnerable should do all they can to protect themselves, isolate, and obtain help and support if they need it. The rest of us (that’s the majority of the population ) should resume normal life. People who are so scathing about this opinion should educate themselves as to the truth about this virus - see Ivor Cummins and Mike Yeadon and others on YouTube for example. There are more deaths from flu, pneumonia and cancer than there are from Covid! Unemployment is on the increase, businesses are closing, airlines are going to the wall, hospitality venues are struggling, the education of the young is being severely disrupted and in general morale is low, with mental health at risk, leading in some cases to suicides. The virus can only be suppressed, not eliminated, by lockdowns, as is evident after months of damaging experimentation; we will have to learn to respect this virus and live with it, just as we cope with other potentially fatal
respiratory diseases.

M0nica Thu 22-Oct-20 23:24:19

I think Olive you need to extend your studies of epidemiology. The fact that cases are still going up does not mean that the measures are not working. Cases would be rising much faster if we had a free for all.

Most of the rise is limited to one or two regions in the north. Mainly for complex social reasons. In many areas new infections have always been relatively low and remain so. In the south west, south east and east, rates of COVID infection and the number of new cases remain insignificant.

Sewpolly Thu 22-Oct-20 21:32:36

Your friend is wrong, you can only have one support bubble. However, being in that support bubble means you act as though you live together. This is where there is an exemption to the rule of six. For example, a single grandparent can visit his/her son, daughter-in-law and their four children even though there would then be seven people. This is copied and pasted from the .gov website - 'Exemptions include cases where a single household or support bubble is larger than six people'.

CleoPanda Thu 22-Oct-20 21:07:48

Olive53. In your fantasy plan, If the majority are going about as normal, how do you propose to protect the elderly and vulnerable?
Do you not have anyone you care about strongly enough to at least try to save them.
Again, another smug, eyes tight shut person who has no had experience of this awful virus.
I sincerely hope you and yours do not succumb. If any of you do, you will change your ideas pretty quick;y.

Ann2 Thu 22-Oct-20 20:34:15

That is what I thought Suziwoozie

Ann2 Thu 22-Oct-20 20:32:44

That is what I thought!

Hetty58 Thu 22-Oct-20 19:36:33

Olive53, surely you must realise, by now, that there is absolutely no prospect of getting 'back to normality'. Stop trying to kid yourself!

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 18:43:15

I’m finding myself strangely fascinated by all the intricacies of bubbles ?

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 18:39:39

Ann2

Has anyone heard of multiple family bubbles in Tier 2?
Someone I know says that she has family bubbles - as a gran she takes care of her GC from 2 different families on different days.

If she is a widow she could be in a support bubble with one family and a childcare bubble with the other. If she is on a couple then she should only be in a child care bubble with one family

Ann2 Thu 22-Oct-20 18:28:34

Has anyone heard of multiple family bubbles in Tier 2?
Someone I know says that she has family bubbles - as a gran she takes care of her GC from 2 different families on different days.

Olive53 Thu 22-Oct-20 18:24:48

The rules aren’t working, same as masks. Ever since people have been muzzled the infection rate is going up. I’m going to get shot down for this, but imo we should get back to normality. There will be no businesses left soon. Protect the elderly and those with underlying health problems and let the rest of us get on with life
This is all about control, wait till next year when you can’t receive any benefits, (as in pensions) if you’re not vaccinated against a virus with a 99% recovery rate.
What about all the poor people waiting for life saving cancer treatment, being made to wait, who will die. Do their lived not matter.

Kathderoet Thu 22-Oct-20 17:39:57

This is particularly emotive to me at the moment. Hardly saw my Mum most of this year to keep her safe and follow the rules. My son moved out about 6 weeks ago just as cases were increasing in our area (Glasgow) so have only spoken to him over FaceTime. Our family has followed every rule to keep everyone safe but my Mum went into hospital 3 weeks ago and caught Covid while there and died on Sunday. She was 83, she struggled at the end and my partner and I couldn’t cuddle her, she didn’t deserve this, she should have had her whole family round her cuddling her and keeping a vigil. Instead once she was past awareness my husband and I were allowed to visit covered in PPE obviously. She struggled for breath, I will never get over the cruelty of her end. Now my family are worried my husband and I could have contracted the virus by being in the same small room as well as the grieving they are going through. UANBU I am so angry at the selfishness of those who bend the rules, they think it won’t affect them, they are too young, have no health conditions etc but even if it doesn’t how many families are they going to destroy as they blunder about perhaps asymptotically killing people left and right.

Tweedle24 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:17:13

Not that it is relevant to the ‘mobile bubbles’ but, if you live alone, you can bubble with one household of six or more. For example a household of two parents and four or more children can still be the support bubble for the person who lives alone.

Pinkrinse Thu 22-Oct-20 16:12:31

If people want to break the rules that’s there business, but at least admit your breaking them! I have just about stuck to them. The government is not getting the message across - I can’t listen to Boris anymore as he is so confusing. There are also so many exceptions it doesn’t make it easy, bubbles have been around for so long people have forgotten what they are supposed to be for - to stop single people being totally on their own. If you’re a couple you can’t have a bubble with anyone even family.

Direne3 Thu 22-Oct-20 15:49:49

Forwarded to me by our very sensible son-in-law.

Sweetchile Thu 22-Oct-20 15:14:25

I am not clear on the child care bubble bit we were looking after GCs on Saturdays to give DiL a break. She has now formed support bubble with DS (they split last year) so my question is can we still look after GCs we are now all in tier 3. I can't work it out. I used to be fairly intelligent before lockdown brain kicked in?
I know we can't travel anywhere while in tier 3 unless its for work.

Maremia Thu 22-Oct-20 13:59:33

Therustyfairy, sorry to hear about your loss. If absolutely everyone took the same precautions as you do, it would be over so much sooner.