Gransnet forums

AIBU

Huge tree, big clear up.

(94 Posts)
Nonogran Sat 07-Nov-20 15:48:34

AIBU to ask my neighbour (firstly in writing) to reduce the height & breath of the massive tree which stands taller than my house just within her boundary? Every year myself and to a lesser extent, other neighbours, clear up bags and bags of leaves. I'm in direct line of the prevailing wind so this year it's been horrendously tedious and takes a lot of my failing arthritic energy to cope.
My defensive neighbour says she can't afford to reduce the tree but I have, this afternoon, told her that if it comes down on my house, it'll cost her a lot more!
When I moved in more than 20 years ago the tree wasn't half as big and tall as it is now. It takes light from my small rear garden & kitchen and is an increasing worry during stormy weather.
Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this with any success please?

FlotheCrow Sun 08-Nov-20 10:40:55

My house adjoins a small river in which trees are frowing, rooted in the water, on the far side from my garden. Over the years, these trees have grown to several times the height they were when I moved in, destroying the view I originally had over the distant hills. I found out that the trees are the responsibility of the landowner across the river as a result of riparian rights (to the middle of the river). Myself and my next door neighbour negotiated with the woman property owner to have the trees cut back. We had to pay, though, as she said she couldn't afford to, so I suggest that your nighbour is more likely to agree if you offer to go halves or even stand the cost yourself, since it's you who wants the tree pruning.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Nov-20 10:43:50

We had a large tree removed as our neighbours didn't like it. (It was 60 feet away from their garden and house.) I really do miss the shade, though, and regret it now. I should have had a TPO put on it instead.

How often do trees fall on houses? Really, that's a silly reason to remove them when they can be checked for safety.

They rarely cause damage to foundations or drains, either, although they can contribute to subsidence and heave on clay soils.

I think it's reasonable to ask for a safety inspection. Otherwise, if you really want it removed, offer to pay for it!

Scottiebear Sun 08-Nov-20 10:45:10

I think leaves are just one of those things that we all should just accept. If everyone had to cut down their trees because leaves drop into neighbours gardens, it would be a very sad thing. We have a neighbour with a large tree that sends lots of leaves into our garden, but I would hate for it to be removed. And its lovely in the summer and birds nest in it. Blocking light is annoying. But trees can be pruned back. Our neighbours had theirs done and it made a big difference. But it isn't cheap to get it done properly. Maybe you could offer to help with the cost.

PollyDolly Sun 08-Nov-20 10:46:07

The house I lived in previously partly backed onto a garden with a huge tree. When the leaves fell they mostly dropped onto my very small lawn and garden path, this was dangerous in the wet weather and caused me and the grandkids to slip. I approached the owner and she refused point blank to have the tree reduced in height in the grounds of cost. The tree in question was enormous and blocked the light to a great extent and also interfered with the satellite tv signals locally. My neighbour, a lovely fit young chap and equally inconvenienced by the same tree, sourced a supply of copper nails and duly hammered them into the trunk where it met his property.
All the leaves I and my family had to clear up were just dumped in her doorstep!
Based on the fact that overhanging branches should be offered back to the tree owner before disposal when trimmed I did the same with the bloody leaves!

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 08-Nov-20 10:47:48

Our first house in Berkshire had a beautiful willow tree in the garden. I loved that tree, but in the summer of '76 I could see the routes travelling under the lawn towards the house (looking for water). I started to panic and we decided the tree had to go. The neighbours came to help us - they said they were sick of clearing up the leaves and were glad to see it go!!

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 10:57:42

We get heaps of leaves from everyone else's trees plus one of our own.
They're lovely trees and probably not near enough to cause damage but it's a big job every autumn.

Hellis Sun 08-Nov-20 11:00:28

I had a large, beautiful silver birch in my garden. It was planted when my first child was born and had become a feature of the garden and fun rope swing for my grandchildren. My neighbours said it interfered with their Tv signal and was a nuisance. I couldn't possibly afford to have it removed,so in the end, reluctantly,agreed to its removal. They had to get planning permission and pay for it though. It was a sad day when it was chopped down. The irony is ,it made no difference to their signal!

Susiewong65 Sun 08-Nov-20 11:17:26

Not just the house footings but drains also !
My neighbour had problems with her drains and when cameras were put down the neighbours tree roots had broken through, it was a very costly repair that the insurance company would not cover.

Grammaretto Sun 08-Nov-20 11:19:50

A large ivy-clad beech tree crashed down the wooded bank in our garden and narrowly missed landing on the fairly newly built houses below. The branches damaged a garden hut and a neighbour's fence. It was shocking at the time and we paid quite a bit for the restoration of their property and for the tree to be properly felled by a tree surgeon (get several quotes) who told us that this innocent looking tree was actually diseased. The disease was hidden by the ivy.
We periodically have our trees inspected but there is actually no knowing if and when they will fall. Our insurance didn't stretch to that.

Good luck with your tree and neighbour problems.

Blossoming Sun 08-Nov-20 11:20:52

When we moved into this house 20 years ago there was a small thorn bush next to the back fence. It grew to be 40ft tree and we have just had it removed!

Kryptonite Sun 08-Nov-20 11:21:33

We want to cut our lleylandii but the neighbours like them!! It is a big garden, but they are turning into monsters, too big for us to do the job ourselves. We have cut things back for our neighbour, overhanging vy and rogue trees that self-seed because they won't. If you have offered to contribute already, maybe try again pointing out the danger to their property as well as yours. Perhaps they'll be more willing this time. What a shame you have to change your sleeping arrangements in your own house. Neighbours can be such a pain. Don't get me started!

PenJK50 Sun 08-Nov-20 11:23:54

We were lucky as we realised that the sun was never in our small garden once September arrived. The reason was due to two huge trees which are in our neighbour’s garden so my husband approached her to ask if she’d be prepared to have them taken down by the maximum that the local council will allow. She immediately agreed to have this done at her own expense! We were absolutely delighted as they have a huge garden and we have a very small one so the impact on us was significant and she had not realised this. Now that’s what I call good neighbourliness!

RosesAreRed21 Sun 08-Nov-20 11:35:09

We had a similar problem with our neighbour. We had rows of very large trees that should have been cut down years before but she was adamant that she couldn't afford to have it done. Then came the awful winds and many of the trees came down onto our land just missing a large garage/workshop. She was still adamant that she she couldn't afford to get the remaining trees topped so to our costly expense we had to get them topped. But on a brighter note we had 2 open fires and the wood we had kept us going for years. Not a nice situation to be in as it left a bad taste between us both.

Alioop Sun 08-Nov-20 11:39:31

I thought there was a law about the height of trees and your boundaries, maybe I'm wrong. It would do no harm checking with the local council or even Citizens Advice. I would worry about the roots going under foundations if it's very close. My home insurance asks questions about trees, etc. I was out clearing leaves that came from the bungalow opposite me yesterday and I'm looking at the tree now and it still has loads on it. Hopefully if we get high winds it will blow the other way because it is a pain gathering them all up for the bin.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Nov-20 11:40:32

I think it's very hostile and 'un-neighbourly' to just dump leaves in the tree owner's garden. It's fly tipping too. Surely, according to the prevailing wind, we clear up next door's leaves - but then the other side clear up ours?

Hetty58 Sun 08-Nov-20 11:47:55

Paperbackwriter, the high hedge act isn't straightforward to put into action. I've spent considerable time (and effort), over the last 30 years, cutting back a neighbour's high Leylandii hedge on on side of my garden.

It's 100 feet long and about 16 feet high so I need to scale ladders to trim my side and the top (as far as I can reach). They just get gardeners to trim it!

My local council would consider whether it needs reducing - but only if I apply and pay £500!

icanhandthemback Sun 08-Nov-20 11:49:28

We have a Holme Oak on the border of our garden between the two houses. Neither our neighbour or me own it and it is the bane of our lives. It drops leaves all year round, is breaking up our driveway and regularly interferes with the telephone wires. It is expensive to maintain but the neighbours don't want to get rid of it. Even the romantic connotations with it being the tree my husband and I used to canoodle under when he walked me back home do not warm me to this tree! I do love the squirrels it harbours though.
In the back garden we have laurel hedging, half of which planted in the neighbour's garden, half in mine. It grows rapidly upwards and outwards putting shade on all my garden. However, they want to keep it so it stays. At the back end of the rear garden, a huge oak and Leylandi (not there when we moved in) invade the garden. The oak leaves are many and the fruit starts off new mini oak trees if you don't get them up. The branches have fallen on our summerhouse and shed roofs damaging the shingles. It's like the Day of the Triffids round here but I'd sooner have happy neighbours than ruin our relationships by continually complaining. I save that joy for my husband!

25Avalon Sun 08-Nov-20 11:56:54

The High Hedge Act covers hedges which means at least 2 trees together. One tree does not count and there is no right to light.

catta5 Sun 08-Nov-20 12:05:14

I have the reverse problem have trees but cannot afford to maintain would like to be removed but quoted at ten thousand pounds Yes That is true do i have to sell my home as that is the only way Council i contacted for help and they said not our problem

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 12:08:37

You could have the trees inspected by the Council icanhandthemback and have it pruned if some branches are found to be dangerous.

The thing is these trees may well be much older than the houses which have been built in their area. I think some near here have preservation orders.

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 12:11:58

Laurels just poison the soil.

Chongolo74 Sun 08-Nov-20 12:14:05

Trees are not the problem. It's human beings. I suggest you move somewhere else where you'll feel more at home.

Lyndylou Sun 08-Nov-20 12:24:57

Trees are not the problem. It's human beings

My neighbour two doors down has a massive Sycamore that he has allowed to get far too big. Right at the moment my garden has sycamore seeds all over it. Some years are worse than others but this year is particularly bad. I sweep up and pick up as much as I can in the autumn but in the spring I know I will have to crawl round every inch of my garden ensuring sycamores are not growing under other plants. Once they get established they are hell to get out. He has refused to do anything about the tree on the grounds it is too expensive but I don't know how much longer I will be able cope with the seedlings. Now his house is sold and I really hope the new owners will be more receptive. I am willing to contribute financially just for my peace of mind, but I don't see why I should go to the expense of moving just because he has allowed this thing to get too big.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 08-Nov-20 12:25:59

You definitely need to speak to your town council about this, as bye-laws differ greatly depending on where you live.

Legally, I believe you are entitled to demand that the tree is cut down or at least cut to a reasonable height .

However, falling out with neighbours is never pleasant so find out exactly what you are legally entitled to demand and whether you will have to pay part of the costs.

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 12:39:39

Trees are not the problem. It's human beings

I'm inclined to agree!
???