Gransnet forums

AIBU

Driving lessons

(80 Posts)
Chloejo Wed 11-Nov-20 08:50:31

I’ve always regretted not carrying on with my driving lessons many years ago. Now in my 60s I still would love to drive to enable me to visit friends and go out at night more. Has anyone on here learnt to drive when older ?

NiceasMice Sun 22-Nov-20 23:38:08

Also, daft as it may seem, buy a small toy car with flexible axles and practice reversing and parking until it is second nature. I often reflect that chaps find these tasks easier because they play with toy cars from babyhood
Haha I did the same with toy cars, I could see how far the wheels needed turning.
It's all part of the fun that some of us have might have missed out.

Do it Chloejo the road is yours to explore.

Lexisgranny Sun 22-Nov-20 22:38:55

This June marked the 60th anniversary of passing my driving test. It was on a Monday, and I had the afternoon off school. Like my parents and grandparents before me I did not have formal lessons, just an experienced driver sitting in with me. To be truthful, I cannot say that I have ever loved driving, but I have loved the freedom that it gave me to get from a to b. Would I recommend learning to drive? Definitely!!

Gwyneth Sun 22-Nov-20 22:21:59

But go for it. Even if you only use it during the day it’s worth it.

Gwyneth Sun 22-Nov-20 22:20:16

I wouldn’t be without my car but have to admit that I don’t like night driving anymore . Many of my friends feel the same and we tend to use a taxi at night.

Tangerine Sun 22-Nov-20 22:15:43

Sorry, Jillybird's post is not the above post. It's further upthread.

Tangerine Sun 22-Nov-20 22:11:12

I agree with Jillybird in the above post.

Give it a try. Good luck with it all.

Sallywally1 Sun 22-Nov-20 21:10:03

I passed my test after two attempts aged 45 and I’ve never looked back. I am 65. It was the best thing I ever did. Yes it’s expensive, though I would disagree about the insurance, mine is really low at around £230 a year. My other half pays around £150 a year more. I haven’t found it goes up each year, but then I have never made a claim.

That apart, go for it. It is a wonderful feeling to get in the car and zoom off to wherever you want to go.

Chloejo Sat 14-Nov-20 08:50:20

Driving lessons
Thank u all for your advice especially the ladies who took lessons over 60! I don’t feel old and am quite fit but I’m looking to the future when I may not be. Also Covid and buses and taxis made me anxious about using public transport. I feel genuinely happy today about giving it a go now !

Mistyfluff8 Fri 13-Nov-20 06:29:16

My husband hates driving at night for very long distances but I love it less traffic .This was one of the reasons I got cataract surgery as I was working and driving .Otherwise I would have had to wait till my vision was so bad not good when you lived in the middle of nowhere with a bus once a week I was over 60

Jane43 Thu 12-Nov-20 18:45:24

I was 52 when I learnt to drive after trying it earlier and giving up. It took longer than it would have done if I was younger but I passed the test first time. I have been really glad I kept it up especially when DH couldn’t drive because of hip replacement operations (three of them) and more recently when we had to go to the Emergency department when he had kidney stones and twice when he had a rapid heartbeat which wouldn’t slow down. You may find it easier to learn in an automatic car as I did. Remember, nothing ventured: nothing gained.

BelindaB Thu 12-Nov-20 11:15:55

Re: the cost of owning a car: Here in north london we have the option of using the car club. Annual fee, no other costs involved, no insurance etc, etc.

I learned in my late 40's, mostly to overcome my fear of roads (I've been knocked over twice). When I retired, I gave my car to my son and treated myself to an electric car (a G Whiz) - one of those loathed by Jeremy Clarkson -

but: no road tax, minimal insurance, charged at home at 50p per charge, no parking charges in central london and many other boroughs and, because I bought it 2nd hand, it only cost £5,000.

I ran it into the ground for over 5 years before the batteries went. Worth every penny.

Shropshirelass Thu 12-Nov-20 08:56:42

If you have the confidence then go for it. I have driven for 50 years (oh gosh is it really that long!) and enjoy driving. I live in a rural area, my DH has ill health and no longer drives. If I didn’t drive I would be stuck, public transport is not very good in my area and taxis are expensive.

Aepgirl Thu 12-Nov-20 08:44:55

I think it's really important to learn to drive. I have a couple of friends who didn't learn, and their husbands didn't encourage them to!!! However, both of the husbands are now unable to drive for medical reasons and the friends are having to rely on friends to take them shopping, etc.
Please learn to drive, most definitely. You never know when you will really need to.

GreenGran78 Wed 11-Nov-20 23:34:23

Go for it. It’s a useful skill to have, even if you decide against buying a car.
I just renewed my fully-comp insurance for£205. Not bad, with many years no claims bonus, but it’s still £4 a week. Add all the other costs, and it would probably work out not much dearer to get taxis. BUT I dread the thought of not having my car there, to hop into whenever I need to go somewhere. It’s worth paying more for the convenience.
I learned to drive when I was 49, when family circumstances meant that we really needed two cars. I passed first time too! I’m 81, and still drive, including at night. Well pre-Covid I did, when there were places to go.

Ridds66 Wed 11-Nov-20 22:56:05

Go for it

Vivvywoo Wed 11-Nov-20 20:33:51

Passed my test 1st.time 2 years ago age 60, in an automatic. Had always regretted never learning.
Go for it!

mauraB Wed 11-Nov-20 20:17:10

I agree with Jillybird, try it, if you think it is for you, get an automatic. Changing gear can be hard on the wrist with a manual shift. Also, daft as it may seem, buy a small toy car with flexible axles and practice reversing and parking until it is second nature. I often reflect that chaps find these tasks easier because they play with toy cars from babyhood. I have been driving since 1961, I still enjoy it. Good luck.

Kim19 Wed 11-Nov-20 18:33:06

Give it a go. If unsuccessful for any reason, revert to another suggestion of using taxis. For some reason many of us regard the latter as an extravagance whereas a car is acceptable. Comparative maths are a revelation. Mind you, the convenience element tends to win the day too. No advance planning needed for an off-the-cuff trip. Good luck.

Ydoc Wed 11-Nov-20 18:20:16

I'm in 60s, passed test 30 years ago never really driven. Am going to now. My father is 93 still driving everywhere.

Patsy70 Wed 11-Nov-20 17:41:48

I think you should go ahead and book a few lessons, Chloejo with an instructor who has been recommended to you, and I would also suggest learning in an automatic. If it isn’t for you, then you have just lost the cost of a few lessons, but at least you would have given it a go. I had lessons when I was 21, but failed my first test and as I was nursing, couldn’t afford to continue. I eventually passed my test when I was 34, and I was overjoyed, as it gave me so much independence and freedom, especially as I was divorced with two young children. I am 73 now and still enjoy the freedom driving allows, although I don’t venture too far, and avoid driving at night as am dazzled by on-coming headlights. Good luck, and please let us know how you get on. smile

phantom12 Wed 11-Nov-20 16:52:36

As a teenager I had no interest in driving and couldn't afford it anyway. I could only afford lessons when my parents passed away and I inherited some money. By that time I was 50 and being menopausal and feeling dizzy some of the time it did not go well. I passed the theory test with no problem but I hated every minute of being on the road and as soon as one lesson was over I was dreading the next. I was relieved to give it up. There are a few occasions when I wish I had learnt when i was younger but am happy to be my husbands passenger.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 11-Nov-20 16:02:43

Holly???? Hourly

Feelingmyage55 Wed 11-Nov-20 15:52:01

Have a try. Remember that although the evenings are dark midwinter, as soon as the clocks change you can enjoy tootling around on spring and summer evenings. Even if you don’t tackle long distance driving, being able to make short journeys which hardly need a taxi, but will let you go to the local shop, visits friends, go to evening events at church etc will give a huge sense of independence. Key for anyone learning to drive is finding the right instructor who wants you to succeed and is happy to be patient and build your confidence. Do you have someone who could rent a dual control car and take you to an empty car park, industrial estate on a Sunday, to get the feel of it again. These dual control cars are the same as an instructor’s car, usually small and the insurance is included in the very low holly rental. When you are out as a passenger, pay close attention to the road signs etc and “rehearse” driving. The very fact that you recognise the desire and need to drive means that you are already part way there. You can also go online and do the theory test, using the practice situations. Enjoy. Come back and tell us how you do.
PS if you have a bad day, so what, keep going and don’t be put off.

claresc0tt Wed 11-Nov-20 15:34:23

Hello I've retired recently after 34 years as a driving instructor. I taught "older" people to drive many times and some passed their tests, but, they had to have endless lessons and do endless practise and most took their test 3+ times? It cost them a lot of money. At the beginning when i first took them I assessed their ability to learn to drive on fast roads and in heavy traffic, and to be safe after they passed (if they passed!) in up to 6 lessons and gave them an honest idea of this potential outcome. I used to tell most of them not to do it now in their sixties. Planning, concentrating and driving safely these days requires to be young with quick reactions or older and very experienced.
It's up to you obviously, but I'd say don't waste your money. Stay safe

Mapleleaf Wed 11-Nov-20 14:46:50

I would say give it a go. As long as your vision and reactions are good, then it's worth a try. Yes, a car can be expensive to run, but quite a few have offers on insurance when you buy them, certain cars have a lower tax rate, etc. It's the fact that its there if you need it, and you don't have to rely on others to get you to places you need to be that make it attractive.