Gransnet forums

AIBU

English language - where is it going to? AIBU

(219 Posts)
TwinLolly Sat 21-Nov-20 10:33:46

Maybe I'm being unreasonable and very menopausal but there are words that are getting under my skin.

* "Co-worker" seems to be a new word for colleague.

* "Super" this and "super" that instead of "very" or "huge", etc.

* "Denied", e.g. as in "he/she was denied entry" - instead of "refused entry", or other cases where the world "refused" would make more sense than the word "denied".

* Where has the word "donated" gone to. It's now "gifted".

* I get confused when reading a newspaper or magazine article where people are now referred to by their surnames only without the Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms. I lose the plot as to who is who confused. I'd prefer to referred to as Mrs Surname or my first name.

There are other words too, but I can't think of them now.

Rant over. Sorry! blush

Lucca Mon 23-Nov-20 14:41:30

mistymitts

I do not like being sweared at but I am very happy to swear at something or in a stressful situation. If I stub my toe if does help to say F...F... F... Rather than Owww! May well be psychological but still helps.

Er....”sweared at”?

Lucca Mon 23-Nov-20 14:36:41

Dogsjj

Where has the word hope disappeared to. I keep hearing, I'm looking to buying, afternoon looking to going too. Drives me mad!

.?

Lucca Mon 23-Nov-20 14:34:19

sue01

I swear... when people kill adverbs !

Wrap up warm..... aaarrrrgh !!

I think that’s fine actually ! You’re not wrapping warmly.

Doodledog Mon 23-Nov-20 13:32:41

railman

This is a fascinating thread.

So, my wife and me were out for a walk the other day, but we couldn't use the sidewalk going past a bungalow, cos they ad the road up for pothole mendin and new water pipes.

Would liked to have gotten coffee while we were out, but the store was shut.

Ah well - that's everlutionary language forms for you.

Did yous go past the uni?

railman Mon 23-Nov-20 13:27:48

This is a fascinating thread.

So, my wife and me were out for a walk the other day, but we couldn't use the sidewalk going past a bungalow, cos they ad the road up for pothole mendin and new water pipes.

Would liked to have gotten coffee while we were out, but the store was shut.

Ah well - that's everlutionary language forms for you.

Sewpolly Mon 23-Nov-20 10:05:25

Two of my pet hates, are the use of the word literally when it's not literal at all and daughter-in-laws as plural. The plural of daughter-in-law is daughters-in-law. Language does evolve though and we just have to go with it. Otherwise we'd all still be saying thee and thou!

LuckyFour Mon 23-Nov-20 10:02:53

I love your example Merlotgran, it made me and DH laugh out loud. I cringe every time I hear some of these language clangers. What can we do except carry on speaking perfect Queen's English! Just joking, I'm sure my Lancashire accent and phrases befuddle my Devon friends.
Is 'befuddle' a word?

KerryS Sun 22-Nov-20 19:15:01

My husband has just suggested a couple of things he finds irritating- making one word out of two e.g chillax, and getting an 'invite' which should surely be 'invitation'!

sharon103 Sun 22-Nov-20 19:02:59

That's so funny readalot Sun 22-Nov-20 18:43:01 grin

sharon103 Sun 22-Nov-20 18:57:34

Charleygirl5

I hate to hear every third word in a sentence being "like" and I have noticed some young children are picking this up- possibly from their parents.

So do I Charleygirl I could scream!

Musicgirl Sun 22-Nov-20 18:50:36

Oh yes, my bad and meh. Dreadful.

Musicgirl Sun 22-Nov-20 18:49:59

I am with you on co-worker. It is American and looks like cow to me. I deliberately use colleague. I really dislike swearing too. I find it is mainly Americanisms that irritate me to distraction. Nothing wrong with them there but everything wrong with them here. I have even seen and heard my arch bete noir - gotten. Grr.

readalot Sun 22-Nov-20 18:43:01

One thing I hate is when people say my bad. I've made two new words up this week. I couldn't decide whether it was March or May so I said Mach, I don't know where that came from. Then the morning I was going out the front door and there was something on the doormat, meanwhile I'm talking to myself and said it looks like a Snug. I was thinking Snail or Slug but what came out of my mouth was Snug. Luckily it was dead. What old age does to you

Nagmad2016 Sun 22-Nov-20 18:41:15

Sentences that start with 'So' or answers to a question .....Arrggh

VioletCloud Sun 22-Nov-20 18:36:56

I dislike the word 'upcoming'. It makes me think of a cat with a fur ball problem. Whatever happened to 'forthcoming'?

grandMattie Sun 22-Nov-20 18:35:07

Always reminds me of an alcoholic!

Scrappydo Sun 22-Nov-20 18:16:40

Overuse of the word Lush ?

grandMattie Sun 22-Nov-20 17:20:52

Pressurised instead of pressured...

Grandma70s Sun 22-Nov-20 16:56:59

Nanny27, it’s not just you.

Nanny27 Sun 22-Nov-20 16:51:25

It's such an old chestnut that I feel I should barely whisper my absolute hatred of 'haitch'.
And while I'm here I struggle not to laugh when I here people say 'mischeeveous'
Probably just me...

tictacnana Sun 22-Nov-20 16:44:44

Why do so many people start answers to questions with “So...” ? ( Noticed it on Pointless when contestants are asked about their jobs. Also, could of being used instead of could have... sets my teeth on edge and that’s not due to a lack of education. I pointed out a could OF on a deputy head’s classroom display heading ( not through bad manners as we were being inspected the next day so needed to correct stuff). She hadn’t a clue that it was wrong and we had to get several opinions on it to convince her. Even then she thought I was being over picky. ?

JenniferEccles Sun 22-Nov-20 16:39:31

Whenever I contribute to threads like this I always feel I am on slightly sticky ground as I am perfectly certain that, over the years I have written posts which would have caused someone to wince!!

Like most on here I am the generation which was taught English grammar but I am still learning!

We all have our pet hates though and I have enjoyed reading what annoys others.

Lilyflower Sun 22-Nov-20 16:39:20

“I think the studies show that swearing has absolutely no correlation with intelligence from what I remember.”

A recent study found that people who swear are brighter than people who don’t. It is perhaps because they do not put boundaries on their knowledge and understanding and perhaps that they have an interest in language ( of all sorts).

Camelotclub Sun 22-Nov-20 16:37:04

And lastly, this one makes me laugh:

Road traffic signs saying "Advanced Warning". How is it 'advanced'? Does it have a degree?

Camelotclub Sun 22-Nov-20 16:36:26

And "filling out" a form. What is wrong with "filling in" ?