Gransnet forums

AIBU

rescue dogs and small children

(87 Posts)
janipans Sun 13-Dec-20 03:58:51

My daughter is going to re-home dog from Macedomia! She has 2 children aged 2 and 4 and 2 cats.
I am terrified about this and writing this at 3.40 am as can't sleep. Looking for advice/reassurance.
I told her UK agencies have good reason for not allowing people with young children to adopt dogs. She said it was cage trained and they'd reinstate the stairgates but I have this vision of one of my grandchildren getting up in the night and "going to see doggy" and putting hands through the cage ... and getting maimed for life!
I also don't agree with cages - you wouldn't put your child in one would you? A dog should be one of the family.
I have gently suggested this may be the wrong time but am afraid to press too hard in case I alienate her - they are her children and the decision is for her and hubby to make, after all, but I am so, so worried.
My daughter has a big, soft heart and I can sort of understand her wanting to rescue a dog rather than get a puppy, ... but I just think the children are too young and young children and dogs can be unpredictable. Now 4am and tearful so going to take something for the headache and try to sleep and wait to hear your thoughts tomorrow!

LJP1 Mon 14-Dec-20 10:29:16

Talk to your local vet. The practice will have known dogs & their owners for along time and some dogs are being euthanased e.g. because an old person has died / gone into a home and there is no one to take care of the dog. These dogs are often loving and would be perfect - house trained, responsive to commands, etc.

Please give it a try. You will probably have more faith in a vet than the shelter, good as they are, and these dogs will come with a health record.

Lin663 Mon 14-Dec-20 10:29:19

Frankly, I think anyone with small children who gets a dog of any age or background needs to get their head examined! You would not have a wolf in the house with your kids, so why would you think it was safe to have a wolf’s descendant there? Dogs who are normally friendly can easily turn vicious, acting on their wolfy instincts. Older kids and adults can read the signs and modify their behaviour, little kids can’t. In my mind it’s a recipe for disaster, especially if you are dealing with an animal that might have been badly treated in its previous life!

Aepgirl Mon 14-Dec-20 10:35:38

A crate is probably the safest option until the dogs, children and cats get used to each other. However, no dog, no matter how trustworthy, should be left alone with children. They can become very jealous.

Arry Mon 14-Dec-20 10:39:13

I cannot understand why people rescue dogs from abroad, when there are already plenty in shelters in this country waiting for forever homes

maryelizabethsadler Mon 14-Dec-20 10:41:11

My family have always had rescued dogs: the only time there was a huge problem was when daughter and family rescued a dog from Greece. The poor dog had been passed from pillar to post on her route to the UK, had never been inside a house, and had obviously been ill-treated by people, especially men as she was cowed and terrified the whole time. She had supposedly been checked out by the charity, but was totally unsafe with the then eight and ten-year old - even growled at son-in-law whenever he tried to feed her. Family were devastated - they had so much love to give, but this dog had obviously been very ill-treated, and after a few weeks they very reluctantly had to give her back as she could not be left with the children in the same room.

Tangerine Mon 14-Dec-20 10:41:40

A relation of mine had a rescue dog from abroad when her children were small and everything worked out well.

I hope it does in your case but can understand why you would be concerned.

Clara2494 Mon 14-Dec-20 10:49:45

My daughter is a vet nurse and she wouldn’t advise getting a dog from abroad, firstly if it’s done correctly then it’s incredibly hard to get a dog come in from another country, if it’s easy to do then it’s not coming from the correct place, secondly most of these rescue dogs that have come from other countries have never lived in a home environment where there is lots going on, especially with children around and living in a cage is very different to living in a home. Thirdly, bringing dogs from other countries can introduce diseases that we do not have in this country or have limited means of treating. I would always advise getting a dog from a UK based rescues centre as they have often been checked for suitability with children.

Ailidh Mon 14-Dec-20 10:52:28

I have a dog rescued from Romania, coming up to our third anniversary!
I specifically wanted a dog from the local area (Yorkshire) and after much research went to a small rescue centre near Rotherham. (HYPS, if anyone's interested). They often have a lot of Staffies and Sighthounds, it seems they're often the ones abandoned and ill treated. My choice was a small mutt, who wasn't super - cute or squishy or anything exciting ~ but mine from the moment we set eyes on each other.

I've been very lucky. Apart from eating a chromebook cable on Day 1, he hasn't put a paw wrong, and is very gentle.

The charity takes enormous care with their adoptions, and very often specifies that they won't rehome to families with very young children - just in case.

So I'd hope the charity your daughter's looking at is just as meticulous about assessing prospective families.

As to cages, provided they're a decent size for the dog, have comfy bedding and water in, they can be perfect for a dog for time-out time, especially for a dog coming from a traumatic past; to a dog it's not a prison, it's a sanctuary.

Dee1012 Mon 14-Dec-20 10:59:27

While I'd applaud anyone rescuing / adopting a pet, I would exercise caution.
A lot of rescue's in the UK are hesitant to rehome to people with young children for the safety of ALL involved, human and animal....so many children are not taught about how to behave around dog's and likewise the dog might not be used to children.
I was brought up in a house full of German Shepherds (and escaped totally intact!shock.
Some rescues don't check out how the dog is with children / cats etc.
The documentation also needs checking carefully...vaccinations / travel.

eviesgranny Mon 14-Dec-20 10:59:53

Oh janipans a grandma worries so much about everyone. My children were raised with dogs, they always had dogs & now they too have dogs. One son has 2 rescued dogs & a young family ... it is important for children to understand that dogs are not toys but are also part of the family. This is a puppy who will need training & love. A cage is a safe area for a dog to retreat ... it must not be seen as a punishment zone rather an area where the dog is completely safe. I only ever used a cage for a puppy to fit in & find safely their place in the family... sometimes this takes a longer time than others. Each dog is unique & deserving & your daughter must lead her children by example. Gosh sorry if this has turned to an essay. This wee pup will need time as will your family ... you may even fall in love with this new family member. I am of course assuming that all vet checks & health aspects are managed. How lovely to give a home to an animal in need.

Theoddbird Mon 14-Dec-20 11:00:13

I would worry as well. Not only about the children but about their cat. I also di not agree with caging dogs over night. Has she had home visits from the agency? Also there are so many dogs in this country that need homes. She could go to one of those and get to know a dog first

polnan Mon 14-Dec-20 11:07:32

Janipans hugs

Arry, I agree with you 100%

but there, we are all different...

nanna8 Mon 14-Dec-20 11:11:53

I would also worry because the children are so young. Young children shouldn't be left alone with a dog but sometimes Mums get busy and can't be watching all the time. My cousin had her nose bitten badly as a child by a loved pet who just suddenly turned on her. Nasty- hospital, stitches etc.

Sashabel Mon 14-Dec-20 11:14:57

Why adopt a dog from abroad when our rescue centres are overflowing with animals of all shapes and sizes? Committing yourself to an animal you have never seen until it arrives in this country is totally ridiculous!! My niece adopted a dog from Turkey and found out it had all sorts of health problems that required long term treatment which costed a fortune and then it had behavioural issues as a result of its past life. Add small children into the mix and you are asking for trouble.
My daughter has a rescue greyhound who is the most gentle loving dog you could imagine. He is wonderful around her two small children, as was his predecessor who passed away a couple of years ago (another greyhound).

GreenGran78 Mon 14-Dec-20 11:33:29

I was chatting to a lady in our local Country Park recently. She had a foreign rescue dog with her. It was very timid. Even though she had had it for some time it related only to her, and backed away from any overtures from strangers. She said that it had taken quite a while to settle in. I think that a lot of these dogs are ‘street dogs’, used to fending for themselves and wary of people.
I’m sure that your daughter will have her childrens’ best interests at heart, though, and won’t put them at risk.

NambyPamby Mon 14-Dec-20 11:39:50

My 2yr old granddaughter lives with me permanently.
I have a 7yr old rescue german shepherd dog, but he has lived with us 6years.
And a 13yr old dachshund.
I have stairgates absolutely everywhere during lockdown a 2year old and 2dogs was a nitemare, constantly separating dogs and child everytime a piece of food was introduced.
Both my dogs were brought up with children and trained with them.
BUT, I never ever leave them in the same space when I'm not there, even though the German shepherd can jump the gates.
I have just retired the dachshund to my mums. He has lived with me since he was 8weeks old and was bought up with a child, but it was just too much with gates and a 2year old. I was pulling my hair out.
When she was a baby the dachshund alerted me to her choking in her pushchair and absolutely loves her to bits but I never trusted him with my granddaughter around food even though he has been in a family home 13years.
She, my granddaughter would hug him all the time and it was just too much of a risk with her putting her face in his. The safest thing for everyone, and for my sanity, and allow the dog to receive all the love he deserves to be with my mum. He still comes to stay (mum is my bubble) and it's hard work again with the gates.
I have one dog here now and it's easier. My granddaughter feeds him, tells him to sit and then we separate while he eats.
He doesn't get as much love and attention as he deserves. He spends a lot of time in his kitchen bed in front of stair gate watching us in living room, this is a combination of his choice and giving him time out as a 2year old is incredibly active. Although hes a brilliant dog and a rescue, I wouldn't put him in a position of being alone with her which makes everything much harder with gates everywhere.
He can jump these, but he doesn't usually unless hes on his own.
Hes incredibly well trained and intelligent.
But I would not bring in a new dog into the mix with s young toddler, not only is it not worth the risk, but it's hard work training a new dog and a toddler!
You cannot relax until baby is in bed every night, and with a new dog; Potty training - for dogs and toddler !
Food handling.
Meal times.
Walking a toddler and dog on reigns and a lead is a nitemare.
Training a dog to walk nicely with/without pushchair.
When is the dog going to be able to settle and fit in and get the training it needs from both adults ?
Otherwise you have the issue of 1 adult controlling the dog, and if it's not the parent that is home all day you have other issues later on.
All of that aside, it is not your decision to take, sorry.
But I wouldn't take on a strange dog with a toddler, and I've had dogs all my life.

Jillybird Mon 14-Dec-20 11:44:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

buylocal Mon 14-Dec-20 11:50:10

Adopting rescue dogs from abroad is extremely misguided (if well meant) IMHO. I have lived overseas in a number of different countries for a number of years - in both cat countries and dog countries - that is, everywhere seems to have plagues of one or the other. Those animals are feral and have been feral for generations. They are not necessarily viscious of course, but they are extremely difficult to train, and they are hypervigilant which can lead to nervous aggression as part of their survival toolkit. They have not developed positive relationships with people. the journey to a well meaning new overseas homes is also traumatic - just the fact of travelling on a plane and the whole process that involves - Let Macedonia solve its own stray animal problem, we have enough sorry animals looking for new homes here because too many people who don't understand them buy them as yet another accessory and find they can't cope. Such a dog from such a place is an irresponsible act by someone with such young children.

Craftycat Mon 14-Dec-20 12:02:51

I have only ever had rescue dogs & they have all been sweet natured & easy to train. I had small children who adored them & were taught to be gentle & kind to the dogs.
I have never had a crate for them although a lot of my friends have. They use it as a safe place to sleep & go in & out at will. They are only locked in for short periods of time such as if someone calls who is allergic to or scared of dogs.
A dog who has had a bad start in life is likely to be a loving pet- they know when they are well off & loved.

Pippa22 Mon 14-Dec-20 12:06:22

I just cannot understand why animal charities go to so much effort and cost bringing dogs with uncertain background from abroad when we have many ( usually ) unwanted dogs already here.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do janipans but I am with you on this and would be a really worried grandma too. The children are very young too, understanding about leaving the dog alone will be hard for them to understand.

Jaye53 Mon 14-Dec-20 12:28:44

Rescue centres will not let you adopt if under age children are involved. They have to be over ten or more. Sometimes they don't know the history of the dogs nature eg. bitten or chews etc as owners die or go into care etc..so she needs to tread with care. Adopting a dog can be a wonderful experience as I have found.but don't have very young children or grandchildren. Cages can be used so long as it's not used as a punishment but more for a safe cozy space.

Petalpop Mon 14-Dec-20 13:21:41

When our previous Springer died I was all for getting a rescue one. When I investigated it I found that they would not rehome a springer to a household with children under 9. At that time I was looking after my 2 year old GD three times a week so we decided it was not worth the risk. We got a puppy instead. Even then I would never leave GD and dog alone for a minute. I am sorry but it would not bring a rescue dog into a permanent home with very young chidren. When I was a toddler our dog turned and bit in the face. Thankfully no permanent damage but my dad had the dog put to sleep and we never had one again. Dogs and cats are unpredictable and so are very young children. As another gran mentioned there are plenty of dogs in this country needing a home and I cannot understand this trend to get a rescue dog from abroad.

Situpstraight2 Mon 14-Dec-20 13:28:05

petalpop probably because dogs in Dogs homes in the U.K. are looked after in dog care centres and are given the best life they can be given.
In Romania, the dogs are rounded up by people with baseball bats and if they don’t beat them to death they are rounded up and flung into concrete yards and left to starve unless other people from wealthier countries send money over to buy them food. Many of the dogs have been shut out of their homes because the people can’t feed themselves let alone their pets.
That’s why people adopt them, however, because a lot of the dogs are ex street dogs they have many problems and I certainly wouldn’t get one.
DDs was a puppy when she was adopted and there are no children in the home, at the moment she is curled up asleep on my sofa, little monkey!

Fernhillnana Mon 14-Dec-20 13:31:48

I have two Romanian rescue dogs. I chose the charity that saves them when I read about the killing shelters in that country. They are lovely dogs and terrified of children. I think they must have been tormented by children when they were puppies. I have a new GS only 5 months old and shall be on highest alert when he visits. They were vaccinated, rabies checked, spayed, had their own passports and were car trained when we adopted them. We were extensively interviewed and examined prior to adoption. I’d recommend this process far above the poor little creatures people casually buy from puppy farms without a second thought.

curlz Mon 14-Dec-20 13:44:08

Think it depends on how well the dog has been vetted and how well the backup is from the rescue . I have had three rescue dogs in the past two when my own children were very small and one when I have had visiting young GC with careful planning and introducing it can be done but I wouldn’t leave young children alone with any dog at all . I think that she will need eyes in the back of her head with the 2 yr old and a crate would be a good idea for a safe space for the dog to escape to if it feels overwhelmed by the children .