Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feeling awful about Christmas plans

(21 Posts)
Folkestone78 Thu 24-Dec-20 18:48:33

Hello friends on here. I am feeling awful because I have had contact through my work with a colleague who has become unwell and has had to go for a covid test. We are due to visit daughter son in law and baby granddaughter tomorrow ( Xmas day) but we do not have the results of my colleagues covid test , so we have decided to stay at home and Skype instead. I feel deep down it is the correct decision as would feel so awful if in two days time my colleague comes back positive and we exposed them to risk, but equally feel awful about spoiling Christmas . I’m sure lots of other families are in similar positions but I feel awful about it. Could not live with myself if I made anyone else unwell .think I am looking for reassurance xxxx

travelsafar Thu 24-Dec-20 18:52:59

You are doing the right thing, i would do the same. Sadly i think many people will be in the same circumstances. My DH is feeling under the weather and we are waiting for a covid test to be delivered, hopefully on Boxing day. I am wearing a mask when taking him drinks, sanitising my hands,he is banned to his bedroom and his man cave upstairs until we know what is going on. sad

Blossoming Thu 24-Dec-20 19:01:06

You are doing the right thing. It’s so disappointing but definitely better to be safe than sorry x

Ilovecheese Thu 24-Dec-20 19:03:19

You are bound to be feeling sad, but you are doing the right thing. Hope you have got some nice food at home.

cornergran Thu 24-Dec-20 19:04:22

Hard though it is yes, the right decision folkestone. We’ve done something similar if for a different reason and right now I feel miserable about and am questioning what we’ve done. A natural reaction for us both surely.

Hope your husband improves travelsafar, stay well if you can. It’s a hard Christmas for many.

OceanMama Thu 24-Dec-20 21:21:30

You are doing the right thing. It's disappointing but a reality of this time. I'm sure your family will appreciate your care and thoughtfulness.

brook2704 Thu 24-Dec-20 21:30:41

So sorry your plans have been disrupted but yes you’re doing the right thing even though it’s so disappointing for you. Hopefully you can enjoy the Skype call just a little bit
Travelsafar hope your DH improves soon and his test is negative
Stay safe everyone

Luckygirl Thu 24-Dec-20 21:31:51

Just receiving photos of DGC setting off for bed with their sacks for Santa to fill - normally I would be there with them. Gulp - it is very emotional - we all went down to my OH's grave earlier to add some decorations, and my DGC had made a tiny felt gnome which they gave to Grandpa for his grave. I wept buckets and worried that I might have spoiled their Christmas Eve, but my DDs said it was fine - the children need to understand life's realities and to hone up their caring skills. They all said they wished they could have given me a hug. My DD did - what else do you do with a weepy Mum? - fingers crossed.

MawBe Thu 24-Dec-20 21:51:26

The right thing is not always the most pleasant thing - but you are doing the right thing and your conscience will be clear.
You will know it in your heart.

Grammaretto Thu 24-Dec-20 23:23:18

You are absolutely doing the right thing. I am sure there will be another chance to spend precious time with your DC and baby DGC.
I have been watching my DGS in NZ opening his presents and wishing us all a Happy Christmas. I wasn't going to be with them at Christmas but we missed seeing him in the summer because of Covid.

Shinamae Thu 24-Dec-20 23:32:28

Luckygirl ????????

Folkestone78 Fri 25-Dec-20 01:02:14

Thank you everyone for you kind replys. Thinking of you Luckygirl and Gramaretto and hope very much that your husband is soon feeling better Travelsafar. Lovely to be part of this friendly group full of kindness and common sense.
Wishing everyone safe and peaceful Christmas xxxx

Sparkling Fri 25-Dec-20 06:25:20

You have done absolutely the right thing, protecting your daughter and family, sometiimes the right thing is hard but if more were like you we could stop the rapid surge in cases. Hope all is well and enjoy your day.

Sparkling Fri 25-Dec-20 06:29:42

Luckygirl, I know how difficult it is. ?. Sending you best wishes.x

BlueBelle Fri 25-Dec-20 06:42:37

Just sending love to you all ❤️

honeyrose Fri 25-Dec-20 08:28:26

Sending love to you all. It’s going to be a difficult Christmas for so many. at the end of a difficult year. Who would have thought, a year ago, that we would be in this situation?! Let’s look forward to a better 2021. To all that are separated from their family and friends, heartfelt thoughts, especially to the bereaved. Very best wishes. ??

Luckygirl Fri 25-Dec-20 11:32:28

There is a blue sky and sun here - it lifts the spirits. But it is very very cold indeed!

I send love and good wishes to all and hope that Christmas, in whatever new form, brings some joys to be found. {flowers]

GagaJo Fri 25-Dec-20 14:05:45

Stuck in Switzerland looking after other peoples children while pining for my DGS.

However, my daughter Skyped me while he opened his gifts this morning and we will have a whole other round of gifts and Christmas when I AM able to get home.

He was asking for me earlier this week which broke my heart, but fortunately has stopped that now, so I am coping better.

GrannySomerset Fri 25-Dec-20 14:14:15

We have had a Zoom festive laugh with one family this morning and will be doing the same with the other later this afternoon. Our roast duck was delicious but this really doesn’t feel like Christmas Day, though we were cheered when our neighbours arrived on the doorstep with a bottle of fizz and four glasses for a distanced toast, which was lovely.

Thinking of those with reasons to be sad and hoping tomorrow will be better.

M0nica Fri 25-Dec-20 17:43:56

Why feel awful, apart from in the personal disappointent way?
You are behaving correctly in every way, both lawfully and morally. You are bending no rules and you are acting in a precautionary way to protect others.

Look at it the pther way round you would be an awful person if yu didn't act as you are.

sally007 Fri 25-Dec-20 17:49:57

when you skype, sing some christmas carols! Have GC show you their gifts! It will make you feel better.