Gransnet forums

AIBU

Men wearing tights under shorts, AIBU

(114 Posts)
Alison333 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:40:50

On my daily walks I can't help noticing that about two out of three male runners are wearing little skimpy shorts with woolly tights. Why not wear joggers or leggings? When did this start and WHY?

Walkingthetightrope Mon 01-Feb-21 10:17:58

I think you’ll find they're compression tights, my husband wears them if he’s having issues with overtired muscles. It’s nothing to do with being tougher up North ? Just men taking care of themselves. Hubbie has been using them for years.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Feb-21 10:03:28

I'd prefer bare legged, hairy men anyday! smile

narrowboatnan Mon 01-Feb-21 10:01:20

I think I’d rather men in tights (or leggings) under shorts than men with bare, hairy legs shock

Pinkrinse Sun 31-Jan-21 22:02:12

The tights are to keep them warm. The shorts are to protect their dignity. Tights/leggings leave little to the imagination, hence the combination.

Nemesia Sun 31-Jan-21 19:47:44

Ashcombe

This thread brought this to mind:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1am3KyYgA

Enjoy!

Thank you gringringrin

welbeck Sun 31-Jan-21 19:41:40

off topic, but reading MN i discovered that girls at secondary school who wear skirts require their mothers to buy them cycling type shorts to wear with them. because of up-skirting.
this is the norm apparently. don't know if necessary at girls only schools.

lemongrove Sun 31-Jan-21 19:25:16

Well, if it was good enough for Robin Hood and his Merry Men.....

Legs55 Sun 31-Jan-21 18:34:35

Around 50 years ago young, male farmers wore tights under their jeans etc to keep warm. I don't have a problem, I dress for comfort not fashion & don't see why others shouldn't wear what they like

CBBL Sun 31-Jan-21 17:28:23

I don't have a problem with it! If it's practical, it's fine.

Chewbacca Sun 31-Jan-21 16:15:39

Three reasons why anyone wears anything:

1. To keep their bits covered up
2. To keep warm
3. Fashion and they like it

Barmeyoldbat Sun 31-Jan-21 16:11:06

Also I have seen young girls wearing usually denim shorts with black tights underneath. No different.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 31-Jan-21 16:04:28

Yes Mr Barmey wears his black jogging/cycling trousers with knee length shorts over the top when cycling. He informs me it keeps his bits warm. I wear my knitted knee warmers over my cycling trousers to keep my knees warm, especially the one that has been replaced.

geekesse Sun 31-Jan-21 15:19:50

Alison333, you said ‘I was just asking why there seems to be a new fashion for men to wear shorts over tights when running...’

1. They’d look really silly if they wore tights without shorts over them.

2. Why do any new fashions emerge? I guess someone thinks it’s a good idea and others copy.

Scottydog6857, your words remind me of my grandmother, who made my life an utter misery when I was a teenager when she continually cast doubt on my morals because I didn’t choose to dress the way she thought I should. I avoided her and kept her well away from my children as a result. It can be a bit lonely there up on the moral high ground.

Scottydog6857 Sun 31-Jan-21 14:44:16

I suppose I must be old-fashioned, but when I look at some of the clothing worn by the young men today, I have my doubts for their sanity! Mind you, some of the clothing worn by younger women these days beggars belief! I often think, have they no sense of decency or shame?
I am nearly 64 myself and have always taken a pride in my appearance - however, I do not wear clothing designed for those in their teens and 20s, unlike some other ladies my age do! The old saying "mutton dressed as lamb" comes to mind, and that's not going to be me!
In general, I feel that in many cases morals are lacking in society today! Just my opinion, I don't expect others to share it! ?

Alison333 Sun 31-Jan-21 14:10:06

Some people appear to have misunderstood my original post. I am not saying that people should not wear what they want, I was just asking why there seems to be a new fashion for men to wear shorts over tights when running...

Oh and yes, I saw a runner last week wearing what looked like old fashioned grey definitely woolly school tights under his shorts and that set me wondering why he was doing this!

fluttERBY123 Sun 31-Jan-21 13:49:12

Longjohns for me. Not as tight as tights and warmer. Chilprufe circa 1976, going strong except elastic, never bettered.

Ashcombe Sun 31-Jan-21 12:19:22

This thread brought this to mind:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1am3KyYgA

Enjoy!

NotAGran55 Sun 31-Jan-21 12:16:38

Oooh what a spoil sport Gilly smile

Esspee Sun 31-Jan-21 12:10:58

Infinitely better than skin tight whatever and no shorts over the top!

Blossoming Sun 31-Jan-21 12:00:51

Many runners do wear tights to prevent chub rub on the inner thighs. You can buy expensive creams for this, but a tiny bit of lip balm is just as effective and much cheaper. Lip balm also fits in the pocket of your shorts that you’re wearing over your tights ?

Gilly1952 Sun 31-Jan-21 11:59:28

Who remembers Linford Christie and his “lunchbox”? He could have done with some shorts over his Lycra!!

Chewbacca Sun 31-Jan-21 11:35:39

Back in the 1980s, I had a colleague who was a competitive racing cyclist. To prevent blisters and chaffing on his backside, he used to put baby talcum powder into a sanitary towel and wear it inside his cycling shorts.

Greyduster Sun 31-Jan-21 11:28:18

They can also give a competitive edge. This is from the ASICS website:
“Running tights also offer an aerodynamic advantage for runners looking to reduce wind resistance and increase speed. In 1986, a study by the journal of Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise found that runners who wore tights or minimized exposed hair were able to decrease wind resistance by two percent. This might not seem like much, but that’s 5.7 seconds over the course of a marathon”. Who knew?

Theoddbird Sun 31-Jan-21 11:25:30

They are compression tights. They help with blood flow and muscle fatigue.

Jillybird Sun 31-Jan-21 11:20:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.