Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be frustrated by Gransnet comment?

(84 Posts)
Youcantchoosethem Sun 31-Jan-21 10:50:38

Got today’s Gransnet email mailing this morning by and always read them. Today though got really quite frustrated by a line in the “advert” for the decluttering story saying “ Lockdown means we're all stuck at home with time on our hands”

Come on Gransnet many of us are key workers, working harder than ever during lockdown and this type of generalisation when we are tired is not needed! Sorry for the rant... calmer now. Time for a long walk to get fresh air. It’s been quite a week.

nanna8 Wed 10-Feb-21 10:52:09

It is my experience that younger people are far more intolerant and judgemental than older more experienced people. Not that they would ever believe it because they know everything. Sense of humour and irony went flying out the window sometime in the 1970s. They just don’t laugh anymore, everything is so ‘careful’.

EBear Wed 10-Feb-21 09:46:47

Oopsadaisy1 I agree with your comment

Do you think that GransNet is trying to narrow the posters to the over 75s?
this is why the interference by the moderators is so silly, treating us all like old people who aren’t able to stand the odd debate that gets heated, this was referred to in a thread recently.

I took exception recently to a thread being taken down as and I quote ' this was going in the wrong direction and wouldn't end well'

Perhaps they think the over 75's are a soft touch and will not make a fuss over contentious issues, well I've got news for them, I still have opinions and still work and am offended that they wouldn't let a difference of opinion on the thread continue.

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 14:55:20

I can't find an Ed Sheeran cardigan pattern but you could knit yourself an Ed doll instead grin

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 14:52:29

trisher

Callistemon I never thought about the 1921 census- more time wasting-great!!!

I think they should have published it during lockdown trisher, in fact I am most miffed they haven't.

janeainsworth, I've never tackled anything quite as complicated as that, well done, but my mother did at lot of Aran knitting. I wish I still had the Aran sweater she knit me.

janeainsworth Tue 09-Feb-21 14:03:13

Another committed knitter here. My grandma taught me to knit when I was four.

Today I’m wearing an Aran-style sweater that I made in 1986 from Herdwick wool.
The pattern was from Good Housekeeping magazine & when I’ve finished the King-size bedspread I started in 2013 I’m going to make another grin

aggie Tue 09-Feb-21 12:16:02

I’m not sure , she does make up her own designs , I’ll ask if I hear from her(if I remember !)

Dinahmo Tue 09-Feb-21 12:13:42

aggie

My DD knit the Ed Sheerin cardigan for her 16 year old , she is the envy of her friends

How did she find the pattern?

trisher Tue 09-Feb-21 12:07:42

Callistemon I never thought about the 1921 census- more time wasting-great!!!

Alexa Tue 09-Feb-21 11:55:46

I never read the general Gransnet stuff because I see the irrelevant photos in the heading.

aggie Tue 09-Feb-21 11:04:34

My DD knit the Ed Sheerin cardigan for her 16 year old , she is the envy of her friends

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 10:35:29

Census

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 10:35:17

I did get a bit addicted to crocheting blankets (there are worse habits) but there's a limit to how many the family want.

I'm waiting for the 1921 to be available so I might renew my interest in family history (it's on the back burner)

trisher Tue 09-Feb-21 10:28:34

Callistemon I live in hope that some solution will be found to my chronic untidiness. So I latch on to the latest fad/guru. It never lasts. I really should know better!
I've still got a blanket I started crotcheting in the first lock down.

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 10:20:47

Isn't Marie Kondo a bit passe?
Oh, thank goodness trisher

That's one anxiety I can forget about.

I'm knitting something very boring, this lockdown I seem to have lost any need for a challenge which is a bit worrying.

trisher Tue 09-Feb-21 10:08:44

Isn't Marie Kondo a bit passe? I'm sure I did her much before the first lockdown. Drew the line when she wanted me to divest myself of all the photos I didn't love, or which didn't speak to me. I'm the keeper of the family photos I'm still identifying half the people on them so I'm not throwing any out.
As for occupying time, did that in the first lockdown, crafts, crotchet etc. I'm time wasting this one! Mind folding clothes with love and care as Marie advocates takes time. Unfortunately if you are now caught thanking them it might be assumed lockdown has made you go cuckoo.

Witzend Tue 09-Feb-21 09:30:34

I do have time on my hands, but I don’t need any de-cluttering guru to tell me how to fill it, thanks very much. In any case I really don’t like minimalist interiors, nor the attitude that we should all be aspiring to some sort of Holy Grail of Kondo-ised perfection.
It probably wasn’t MK, but I’ve even seen books described as ‘clutter’!
Nuff sed really.

Doodledog Tue 09-Feb-21 08:24:26

I was just about to say similar, Dinahmo. I have knitted since childhood - sometimes it has been fashionable, sometimes not. I really daycare about that, but what does annoy me is the constant reference to it being an old person’s skill.

I got incredulous comments when I knitted at 17, and now that I fit what many are as the demographic a bit better (at 61), again, I hear ‘do they think we are all old biddies who knit and wear unfashionable clothes?’

Many of my clothes are envied by my children’s fashionable friends - the ones I have knitted myself?.

Dinahmo Mon 08-Feb-21 23:50:07

Knitting is popular amongst the young, from what I read. Sometimes it's the only way to get something interesting to wear. A few weeks ago there was a lot interest in a cardigan worn by Ed Sheeran - oversized and bright colours. I thought my OH might like it but then I found out that it was by Hermès and cost about £1200. Haven't found the time to look for a similar yet.

Dinahmo Mon 08-Feb-21 23:41:06

I'm 74 and still working - from my home office. I enjoy my work and have no intention of giving up yet. Unless my brain starts to fail.

janeainsworth Mon 08-Feb-21 19:23:02

Farnorth grin

grannyrebel7 Mon 08-Feb-21 19:19:02

I've worked at home throughout the pandemic. Can't wait to get back in the office!

FarNorth Mon 08-Feb-21 18:30:20

Witzend that sounds like me and my friends, all right. grin

FarNorth Mon 08-Feb-21 18:28:05

Everything is the fault of the over-60s.
Voting the 'wrong' way, hogging our 'boomer' wealth, cluttering up the job market, cluttering up the housing stock, costing the UK a fortune in pensions, keeping everyone in lockdown, now ruining the High Street!
I don't know how we have the nerve.

PamelaJ1 Mon 08-Feb-21 17:02:58

I heard, this morning, that one of the reasons that the high street won’t bounce back after this virus has moved on is the over 60’s.
Apparently we have just learnt to shop online. Aren’t we clever.?
Like all of you, I hadn’t mastered the ability until last March.

Riverwalk Mon 08-Feb-21 14:25:34

Gwyneth

nannalyn just wondering why physios are not doing some face to face appointments when other NHS workers such as dentists are now doing so?

Many physios have been redeployed to ITU.